double tracking string bends

redking

Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm working on a track right now with hard-panned double tracked guitars and there are a few parts where there are slow string bends that really stick out in the mix. When I get two takes that match really closely, it sounds too chorus-y and kinda makes you seasick. When the two takes don't match up well, they sound out of tune obviously. So far the best solution I have come up with is to make one side slightly louder so the brain locks onto that one as the primary sound. Any other ideas or tricks?
thx!

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
I'm working on a track right now with hard-panned double tracked guitars and there are a few parts where there are slow string bends that really stick out in the mix. When I get two takes that match really closely, it sounds too chorus-y and kinda makes you seasick. When the two takes don't match up well, they sound out of tune obviously. So far the best solution I have come up with is to make one side slightly louder so the brain locks onto that one as the primary sound. Any other ideas or tricks?
thx!
Bend with more precision?

Bustin yer ballz...haha

redking

Reaction score
Bend with more precision?

Bustin yer ballz...haha
I'm willing to accept that as the answer and work on it :rofl: But the closer the 2 takes are, the worse it sounds to me lol. Or maybe come back with fresh ears tomorrow!

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
Pan both to center just for the bend?

HCRoadie

Reaction score
Mute one of the gtr tracks during the bend, duplicate the "hot" track, bring in the duplicate track at just the bend applying well timed cross fades. With all the automation option on any given DAW it can be done.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The problem is, anything you do to try to get away from that "chorusing" effect will also drop out the feel of the discrete panned double track. That chorusing is just the sound of it and the point of it. If you suddenly pull one side down or pan one to center you're going to hear it fold up and I think that will be more distracting than not. Even if you use HCRoadie's trick by duplicating one track you have to alter or shift it in time (otherwise it will sound like one track) but it will still produce that chorus effect precisely because it's shifted in time. Maybe you're just overthinking it. Listen to the solo in Pink Floyd's "Time".... Lots of bends and the doubled tracks are pretty much equal volumes. But then there's a lot of delay and reverb so it does smooth out the intonation rub.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Had a similar problem recently. for just that small part of the bend, copy the better one over the worse one and sgift it around a few samples.

redking

Reaction score
Ya, I was overthinking it - I came back a day later with fresh ears and just re-tracked both parts with a light touch - much better now. I was probably strangling the guitar a bit near the end of the day after several hours yesterday. It was the first little riff that gets repeated a few times through the song - no bend on this one but the other 2 x have bends.

https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695%2Fhero-guitar-sample

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sounds fine to me.

Latest Threads