Double Cutaway Special -Broken!

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
For more years than I can remember I have been after a Cherry Red Special Double-Cutaway with P-90s and neck binding. I finally found one, and it arrived here with the headstock virtually snapped off.

I'm pretty much set on returning it to the seller, because whilst it looks like it could be repaired, it will forever be broken-then-repaired, rather than totally original, which is what I want.

The problem is finding another...does anyone have one or know of any for sale?

BTW I'm in the UK.

Thanks.

Lucid.

Attachments

• PA163213.jpg
    PA163213.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 171

rjshare

Reaction score
it might forever be broken and repaired but it could still be a great guitar. i'd see if there isnt a deal to be done with the seller personally...

Kerry_King

Reaction score
For more years than I can remember I have been after a Cherry Red Special Double-Cutaway with P-90s and neck binding. I finally found one, and it arrived here with the headstock virtually snapped off.

I'm pretty much set on returning it to the seller, because whilst it looks like it could be repaired, it will forever be broken-then-repaired, rather than totally original, which is what I want.

The problem is finding another...does anyone have one or know of any for sale?

BTW I'm in the UK.

Thanks.

Lucid.

Well if you decide you want to keep this one, you couldn't ask for a cleaner break to have to repair.

xSinner13x

Reaction score
Well if you decide you want to keep this one, you couldn't ask for a cleaner break to have to repair.

yup and there are several guys on here who would do it so flawlessly you would really have to look to see it....

azzapeel

Reaction score
Question is..... Was it broken before it was posted?

jeffy

Reaction score
I'd ask for a partial refund as compensation before sending it back.

BJunior

Reaction score
I know where there is A GT one brand new in Southampton if that would interest you?

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
Question is..... Was it broken before it was posted?

Good point, but I'm giving the seller the benefit of the doubt, at least for the moment. If that changes I'll be sure to post it. My guess is it happened because of the hard case, which wasn't a Gibson, and didn't raise the neck high enough so that the headstock is resting on the case floor. And there was no protective packing!

I know where there is A GT one brand new in Southampton if that would interest you?

Hmmm, possibly - if it's a double cutaway and comes with P90s.

Farquad

Reaction score
Put a plastic bag over the headstock and the break. If any little bits fall out they can be put in. I hope the seller insured it and is working with you. Its a bummer opening up a new toy to find something like that. Fingers crossed it works out for you.

Charliep

Reaction score
Here is a link to my Gibson with same break as yours and many photos and posts. I fixed it and I play it daily. I used White Luthier Makers Glue from LMII. Very hard to see the crack. What glue to fix a cracked LP headstock? - Page 5 - The Gear Page
Hopefully you will get satisfaction from the seller.

I found I have bonded with the guitar since repairing it and I would never part with it. The guitar still plays great and has great tone. It will last the rest of my lifetime too! You would never know it had been cracked.

azzapeel

Reaction score
I know your meant to resolve it with the seller. But if your being ignored.... And it may have been broken before it was posted out.... Might be worth mentioning in an email to eBay.

Lipinhu

Reaction score
WOW. I Have repaired a few and never saw a crack clean as this one. I am sure that it could be glued and that the "seam" would be hardly noticeable.

Off course, it wont be a new guitar, but will certainly work and play as new and... will never break again in the same spot.

Its up to you if you can live with that or not... I would repair it. But on the other hand I would try to get some money from the seller.

Charliep

Reaction score
WOW. I Have repaired a few and never saw a crack clean as this one. I am sure that it could be glued and that the "seam" would be hardly noticeable.

Off course, it wont be a new guitar, but will certainly work and play as new and... will never break again in the same spot.

Its up to you if you can live with that or not... I would repair it. But on the other hand I would try to get some money from the seller.

Yes it is a real clean break. If you fix it use the right glue. LMII was easy to use and clean up with a wet sponge. Hyde Glue is excellent but if you haven't had experience with it, it may be harder to use. Do not use yellow carpenter glue. Do not use the standard Gorilla Glue, expands the joint when dry. White Gorilla glue has been reported as acceptable, but I decided on LMII a glue formulated for instruments.

Lucidsounds

Reaction score
Incidentally - still no reply from the seller 5 days after reporting it damaged. What happens if the seller does not get in touch?

BuddyHollywood

Reaction score
That's a bummer but not hopeless. I would exhaust every opportunity with the seller and eBay before attempting a repair.

eBay is very buyer friendly so if you are unable to get a response eBay may be able to make them. Best case scenario; they make him refund your money and you get to keep the guitar!

Latest Threads