Double cut LPs with F holes?

Diocletian

Reaction score
When I saw Jethro Tull last year Martin Barre was playing a really nice Gibson. It looked to me like a smaller 335, but it was a lot smaller. Like LP size. I originally wondered if it was a 339 (I don't know anything about semi-hollow guitars, being predominantly a metal fan) but I've seen some pictures recently of double cut LPs and it could very well have been one of those. But it had F holes.

Anyone any idea what it might have been? I don't like 335s because they just look so big, but whatever it was Martin was playing looked great (and he's a small guy so it was certainly a LOT smaller than a 335).

jmg257

Reaction score
CS-336, ES339.

I have a 336 - awesome guitar. 339 is laminated like the 335, 336 is a carved solid top & bottom.

Here it is size wise to an LP & Gretsch SHB.

Diocletian

Reaction score
Nope, I don't think it could have been that. I did originally think of the 339 or 336 but like I say, Martin is a small guy, very slim, and the guitar he was playing looked like a normal LP size whereas in your pic the LP is a fair bit smaller looking.

planks

Reaction score
Is it this one he's playing here you saw ?

Looks like it could be a CS-356 , not sure though .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9WLCKODLpM&feature=related]Fat Man - Jethro Tull - March 2010[/ame]

Custom Shop CS-356

Diocletian

Reaction score
Hmm, I'm not sure. That would fit the timeline, and I doubt he was using many guitars around that time so it probably IS the one I saw them with. In fact, I'm sure it was about March 2010 I saw them in Glasgow. So, it most likely is that guitar.
I thought it looked quite neat on him though, he IS a little guy. That 356 still looks pretty big.

planks

Reaction score
I saved this pic from another thread on the forum, a list of Barre's gear (written by himself as far as I understand it). I think it's a recent list, and it seems there is no guitar on it that fits with Gibson and F-holes except the 330 , but that would have P90s+different inlays and 'bigger' body - he could have gotten the one in the video after the list was written I guess .

Diocletian

Reaction score
Thanks for the thread link, some of those photos do look like the one Martin was playing, the size seems closer in some of them. So I think you've solved the mystery, thanks!

That gear list just looks like a list of every main piece of gear he's used over the years, rather than his current stage set up.
He actually had a really awesome looking walnut type of strat with him when I saw them, it looked fantastic, with what looked like an SS-S-SS EMG config but he never played it, it just sat on its stand looking hot.

planks

Reaction score
:thumb:

And thank you for giving me a GAS for one of those with this thread :shock: :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1UesatyKCY&feature=relmfu]YouTube - 2004 Gibson Custom Shop CS-356 Part2[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrKRGsTThzY&feature=fvwrel]YouTube - 2004 Gibson Custom Shop CS-356 Part3[/ame]

Rock Johnson

Reaction score
Were the cutaways sharper or more round like a typical 335? I'm thinking if they were sharper it might've been a Johnny A.

Diocletian

Reaction score
No, no, not like that at all.

Here it is, I found it exactly. I remembered it being smaller but that's probably because I know Martin is a frail looking wee guy and this guitar seemed normal size on him!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flciXV5SSlA]YouTube - Too Old To Rock and Roll - Jethro Tull 07 March 2010[/ame]

Incidentally, despite Ian's vocal phrasing being horrendous nowadays, it's still worth seeing Tull just to see Martin, he's an awesome guitarist.

Latest Threads