Double Cream 70's T Top?

BigJim

Reaction score
Was offered a Double Cream 70's T Top, did Gibson make these?

I have seen a few Pat# PAFs in Zebra and Double Cream, but never a T Top.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Here's a zebra T-Top set I had. These came out of a 1979 SG. You might notice there is no solder on the baseplates where covers would attach. They are factory uncovered zebra T-Tops. Not common, but the end of the 70's were a strange and bizarre time.

You'll also notice they are ceramic magnet pickups, with much larger magnets, pole screws, spacers, and slugs than previous T-Tops. ...and, accordingly, sounds nothing at all like a T-Top you might have in your mind. More like a jangly Super Distortion. Gibson did some weird stuff in the late 70's and early 80's.

BigJim

Reaction score
Here's a zebra T-Top set I had. These came out of a 1979 SG. You might notice there is no solder on the baseplates where covers would attach. They are factory uncovered zebra T-Tops. Not common, but the end of the 70's were a strange and bizarre time.

You'll also notice they are ceramic magnet pickups, with much larger magnets, pole screws, spacers, and slugs than previous T-Tops. ...and, accordingly, sounds nothing at all like a T-Top you might have in your mind. More like a jangly Super Distortion. Gibson did some weird stuff in the late 70's and early 80's.

Hmmm, that kinda threw cold water on my plan!

Ceramic, NG for me!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score

Ceramic, NG for me!
They weren't all ceramics, just because of the bobbin color and/or factory uncovered design. I also had two other zebras that were both A5s from the same year. ....probably still have them?

You can tell by looking at the height, especially from the side.

Saiko

Reaction score
They did make double cream T-Tops but they are uncommon. They even have the characteristic "T" on the bobbins. Be sure to double check everything to verify they are in fact T-Tops (Patent stamps, leads, spacers if possible) before you purchase.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
There were also other companies using those same T bobbins from Hughes Plastics, that Gibson used. Some Asian manufacturers used them on less glorious pickups, sometimes brass baseplates, but sometimes the Gibson-style ones. They usually have colored plastic jumper leads between the coils and hookup leads, sometimes plastic hookup leads.

ARandall

Reaction score

Ceramic, NG for me!
You do know the magnet is not welded to the rest of the pickup??
4 baseplate screws undone and the new one slides right in. And late 70's mags seem fairly close/identical in formulation with modern types.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
You do know the magnet is not welded to the rest of the pickup??
4 baseplate screws undone and the new one slides right in. And late 70's mags seem fairly close/identical in formulation with modern types.
The slugs and plastic spacers would have to be replaced, at least. That magnet is twice as thick as an AlNiCo bar (unless you use a Filtertron AlNiCo). The slugs would protrude out the top of the coil, otherwise.

They just used a regular keeper bar, which kinda flops around loose under the screw coil, for some reason. I'd have stacked two. I suppose they didn't do that because they were no longer precisely machined, at that point. Because of the wonky wobbly shape of those sloppy 70's stampped steel keepers, two would be TOO thick and not fit, unlike the original machined ones of the 50's and early 60's.

BigJim

Reaction score
The slugs and plastic spacers would have to be replaced, at least. That magnet is twice as thick as an AlNiCo bar (unless you use a Filtertron AlNiCo). The slugs would protrude out the top of the coil, otherwise.

They just used a regular keeper bar, which kinda flops around loose under the screw coil, for some reason. I'd have stacked two. I suppose they didn't do that because they were no longer precisely machined, at that point. Because of the wonky wobbly shape of those sloppy 70's stampped steel keepers, two would be TOO thick and not fit, unlike the original machined ones of the 50's and early 60's.
Man, I love this place..

@cooljuk your knowledge is always shared to benefit us, thanks for jumping in!

Latest Threads