Don't Threaten to Quit Before a Gig

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but this hits right on the nail, Tim. Years ago my bar band was in the middle of "Life in the Fast Lane" when I started Walsh's part of the solo. I can't remember which note it was, but it lives in infamy with those guys as the funniest wrong note they ever heard. The look of pain and confusion on their faces and mine...that's the good stuff right there.

Played with a guitarist some decades back that actually took the time figure out some crazy ass chord that would not fit in any key known to man or aliens.... not even that quarter tone warbling....

He'd get bored and get this look on his face....we all knew what was coming....in the most nekkid place in the song....

I wished I would have scored that chord on manuscript and frame it.... The 'Beatles chord' didn't have nuttin on him.... Theirs fit though.... His wouldn't fit any damn thing...... He'd play it with style though, kicking the leg out in front in true rock star stance in front of his Marshals and slam that chord....in the most exposed spot.... It was so bad it was funny....

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
anytime anyone has ever used the term "quit" with me, I have let them go, right away.....I don't care if it is "I'm thinking of quitting etc.", let them go......you have to, because if not, they will stick you when you have a gig.

Don't wait,, do it then.....there are PLENTY of people out there that want to play.

you are better off, trust me.....the lack of booze was not the only reason people were not into it.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
anytime anyone has ever used the term "quit" with me, I have let them go, right away.....I don't care if it is "I'm thinking of quitting etc.", let them go......you have to, because if not, they will stick you when you have a gig.

Don't wait,, do it then.....there are PLENTY of people out there that want to play.

you are better off, trust me.....the lack of booze was not the only reason people were not into it.

Bamm. There it is right there in big letters!

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
A little off topic, but this hits right on the nail, Tim. Years ago my bar band was in the middle of "Life in the Fast Lane" when I started Walsh's part of the solo. I can't remember which note it was, but it lives in infamy with those guys as the funniest wrong note they ever heard. The look of pain and confusion on their faces and mine...that's the good stuff right there.

Best one I did was blow straight past the bridge on "Back in Black." This was in front of a BUNCH of people. Took a lot of crap for that. ;)

We also play Shooting Star (or did...) by Bad Company and our singer went from the 2nd verse to the outro. The running joke became, "Hey, don't forget Johnny has to die this time..."

As for some other comments, if you play out, the world revolves around the crowd, or should do. Come gig time, it ain't about us. That's what these two gentlemen lost sight of.

Ah, well. We'll rebuild.

Platte City Paul

Reaction score

Yessir, that was the prime motive for canning them. If not this time, then when?

Latest Threads