Don't Kill a Groove: Why Modern Pop Music Sucks Part II

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
yeah when I was young going in the studio to do a demo of any kind was a really big deal. And you rehearsed your asses off in the weeks leading up to it so you could (hopefully) go in and bang it out really quick and really well. Less time in the studio meant less money spent.

...then we'd get in and spend an hour+ while the drummer got his drums tuned and got a good sound. :laugh2:

f00kin drummers! :run:
We had a friend who worked in a studio and if there was time free he’d call us in to record demos. We supplied the tape, he practiced his engineering and we got the time. And you’re right, you had to have your shiit together before you showed up. That meant knowing your part, making sure your gear was working and ready (oh damn I broke a string and don’t have another) a d you were ready to work even if that meant sitting in the control room waiting.
I have fun with my DAW but it certainly isn’t the same.

redking

Reaction score
If all we had was 2" tape that would mean that only pros could afford to record music....what about the poor kid making beats in his bedroom on his laptop....what would happen to all those kids?
Hmmmm....lemme think....Yeah I guess we'd have less dreck!
Just like in golf, there should be a distinction between "amateur" and "pro" and when the amateurs get good enough, they get called up to the pro league. Wait...that's how it used to be :hmm: (and if we all have learned anything from current events, everything in the past was "bad" and it's much better now)

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Love how the saxophonist is playing "air guitar" in the sections when he's not playing! :lol: - shouldn't he be playing "air saxophone?"
I guess they didn't have a tambourine for him to play. :D

cjpeck

Reaction score
If all we had was 2" tape that would mean that only pros could afford to record music....what about the poor kid making beats in his bedroom on his laptop....what would happen to all those kids?
Hmmmm....lemme think....Yeah I guess we'd have less dreck!
A kid making stuff in his bedroom can still practice and resist the urge to snap everything to a grid or autotune the whole tune.
Plugin amp syms, cab emulators, and even stuff like EZdrummer are perfectly fine tools for someone working on music in their bedroom. Just don't forget the music part...

We sure did work the hell out of our fostex four track recorders back in the day. We busted our asses and managed to snag an 8 track model 80 reel to reel that used 1/4 inch tape and an old board. Can't remember who made the board. We thought we were the shit. Similar to Mikey's post, when you got into a real studio you made sure you had your shit together.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing that I don’t think I’d enjoy is reamping. The sound of a particular guitar and particular amp is what inspires a lot of players to play the way they do.
It absolutely has its place. I love it.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
A kid making stuff in his bedroom can still practice and resist the urge to snap everything to a grid or autotune the whole tune.
Plugin amp syms, cab emulators, and even stuff like EZdrummer are perfectly fine tools for someone working on music in their bedroom. Just don't forget the music part...

We sure did work the hell out of our fostex four track recorders back in the day. We busted our asses and managed to snag an 8 track model 80 reel to reel that used 1/4 inch tape and an old board. Can't remember who made the board. We thought we were the shit. Similar to Mikey's post, when you got into a real studio you made sure you had your shit together.
When I was teaching years ago I saw a lot of kids using their laptops to 'cut/copy/paste' songs together. I kept trying to tell them they should write the song and be able to sit down and play the song first, then worry about recording it.

Few listened. I really think a lot of people just don't care or pay attention to the actual art of Songcraft. Computers have made a lot of things just too easy to do. There's no skin in the game when you can just record a bunch of shit ideas, snap them to a grid, copy and paste them together and move parts around like a text doc and call it a 'song'.

cjpeck

Reaction score
It absolutely has its place. I love it.
It's just another tool in the box. It's up to the musician to use it appropriately.
Hell, there's even times when autotune and time correction can be useful. It's just that those times are few a faaaaaar between and certainly not on every song ever recorded.

I just never liked it, but even at home I record with amps and a mic rather than direct.
Me too. I also make damned sure I have a direct signal recorded as well just in case. Hell, tracks are free in a DAW so why the hell not take the 10 seconds to plug in the cable and get the direct track as well?

///////

But then I can't fly in sections and cut and paste a tune together.
Fuck You, play the whole song. Didn't you write a whole song? Go practice.

Zylo

Reaction score
Unfortunately in todays generation , its all about here and now and I want to click it here and there and do it all in 10 seconds.
They ain't got time to go rehearse and learn the songs. If they ever make it big, they will just go on stage and mime..

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
He has a point. Some engineers correct the life out of some tracks.

A note value has a window. When everything is 'nudged' to the leading edge, the life can be squoze right out of the chart... Be fun to toss in some fives and sevens in a session and see what happens with a nudge happy slider munky.... Some phrases just can't be aligned because it would kill the groove. Intentionally NOT aligned.

Elevator music sucks for reasons besides the mondo compression...
On the nose ehb. I agree completely. A great artist knows when to stop tweeking.

Reactions: ehb

cjpeck

Reaction score
A great artist doesn't need to be tweaked in the first place

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
A great artist doesn't need to be tweaked in the first place
It is said Mozart rarely changed any of his compositions.
Once they were written down he was done. Part of his genius
it seems.

But, there are not many Mozarts out there so...
they be tweeking...

Last edited:

Latest Threads