Don't Kill a Groove: Why Modern Pop Music Sucks Part II

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I liked recording with analog tape.

You got what you got. No monkeying with anything.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
"almost every new song in the past 30 years has been time corrected…"

No they fucking haven't you fucking fuck. Just in your little world.

GO FUCKING PRACTICE

STOP RECORDING SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE
He's probably right though I think 30 years is a bit high. Most singers and musicians have no idea what goes on after they lay down their track, especially if the producer is the artist.

redking

Reaction score

not entirely true - a Lars Ulrich drum take on the Black Album could have dozens of manual splices. Also punch-ins and other types of techniques were used to edit or improve performances routinely in the tape era.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
not entirely true - a Lars Ulrich drum take on the Black Album could have dozens of manual splices. Also punch-ins and other types of techniques were used to edit or improve performances routinely in the tape era.
Good point. Gilmore doing multiple takes of a solo and using faders to bring in the best parts,
or this great Junior Walker sax solo that really wasn't. Junior didn't give them what they wanted but they edited parts of his different solos into this killer.

Rock and pop music has been enhanced and often even only made possible through studio magic.

Jymbopalyse

Reaction score
Good point. Gilmore doing multiple takes of a solo and using faders to bring in the best parts,
or this great Junior Walker sax solo that really wasn't. Junior didn't give them what they wanted but they edited parts of his different solos into this killer.

Rock and pop music has been enhanced and often even only made possible through studio magic.
I also read that for the first few YES records, the band would jam for hours and hours.
Then the producer, who recorded it all on tape or cassette, listened to it,
He would then rearrange and splice (this was the 60's/70's) the jam into what he thought was something cohesive.

The band would then relearn, tighten it up and add vocals and other complexities.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I also read that for the first few YES records, the band would jam for hours and hours.
Then the producer, who recorded it all on tape or cassette, listened to it,
He would then rearrange and splice (this was the 60's/70's) the jam into what he thought was something cohesive.

The band would then relearn, tighten it up and add vocals and other complexities.
Outside of Jazz or players and singers who can read music you're not going to find too many live sessions, and when you do they can be hard to "fix".

These days this song would be snapped to the grid so the session guys could add to it, but back then the skills of the session men had to do.

These days there's also a reason why many live drummers in big shows play to a click and are often in charge of triggering what ever needs to be triggered.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
"almost every new song in the past 30 years has been time corrected…"

No they fucking haven't you fucking fuck. Just in your little world.

GO FUCKING PRACTICE

STOP RECORDING SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE
But the clicks, and the likes!!!!111

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back from watching some Rammstein live videos. My mind has been cleansed

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score

V, we are using tape for the MAGIC- so far I had one "punch in" the rest is live to tape.This is a 16 track so no bouncing or degradation needed. I'm making sure that the guys running tape LOVE me......I keep throwing them $ and ENDLESS beer- I want to continue running reel to reel --------seems much easier to catch the 70's Hard Rock sound.

My favorite "splicing" job is this- Miles would cut out a line----cut some tape----snort a line---REALLY put the blade to use.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
The one thing that I don’t think I’d enjoy is reamping. The sound of a particular guitar and particular amp is what inspires a lot of players to play the way they do.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
How many tracks on this demo? That's a lot of nois... I mean sounds.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow that was terrible. I wonder how it would effect groups like rush and dream theatre ?

Goes to show the heart and soul of a good song is the people playing it and not perfection

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
Wow that was terrible. I wonder how it would effect groups like rush and dream theatre ?

Goes to show the heart and soul of a good song is the people playing it and not perfection
It’d be interesting to see how “bad” Rush would be.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Go back to a 32 channel analog board and a big fat reel of 2" tape and learn how music works.
If all we had was 2" tape that would mean that only pros could afford to record music....what about the poor kid making beats in his bedroom on his laptop....what would happen to all those kids?
Hmmmm....lemme think....Yeah I guess we'd have less dreck!

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah when I was young going in the studio to do a demo of any kind was a really big deal. And you rehearsed your asses off in the weeks leading up to it so you could (hopefully) go in and bang it out really quick and really well. Less time in the studio meant less money spent.

...then we'd get in and spend an hour+ while the drummer got his drums tuned and got a good sound. :laugh2:

f00kin drummers! :run:

2old2rock

Reaction score
With composition and performance (save non-auto-tuned vocals) that is mostly programmed, I wonder if producers sometimes add subtle imperfections to timing and tuning to make the synthesized instrumentals sound more "natural?" I would think that would be a lot of work unless there is an adjustable algorithm that injects random imperfections.

Still, I don't' think you could match the individuality of a human musician with a computer. Every person has their own "signature," reasons why you can instantly recognize a Jimmy Page or Eric Clapton, etc. Music today is too generic.

Latest Threads