Don't Kill a Groove: Why Modern Pop Music Sucks Part II

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I like how he ruins songs.

Right at the beginning Michael Anthony's bass dragging just a hair gives the intro that something that catches your ear.

Last edited:

redking

Reaction score
What is the premise of his channel? Is he pointing out how imperfections / humanity is a good thing? Or literally trying to "improve" the songs?

Who

Well respected man about town
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the premise of his channel?
I've watched portions of three videos... I think I can write the bio............

"Hi, I'm a guy who's jealous of others. Having been behind the scenes in a recording studio, I long for a little stardom.
I've created this YouTube channel that no one would pay a darn bit of attention to if I used my own original music, so I am going to use famous musicians and their works to get clicks.
I'm hoping you'll "like" and "subscribe" so I can get paid. I base my strategy off those "best guitarist (or whatever) lists where the list isn't the reason for the list, the clicks and controersy are the purpose."

cjpeck

Reaction score
"almost every new song in the past 30 years has been time corrected…"

No they fucking haven't you fucking fuck. Just in your little world.

GO FUCKING PRACTICE

STOP RECORDING SHIT IN THE FIRST PLACE

redking

Reaction score
I've watched portions of three videos... I think I can write the bio............

"Hi, I'm a guy who's jealous of others. Having been behind the scenes in a recording studio, I long for a little stardom.
I've created this YouTube channel that no one would pay a darn bit of attention to if I used my own original music, so I am going to use famous musicians and their works to get clicks.
I'm hoping you'll "like" and "subscribe" so I can get paid. I base my strategy off those "best guitarist (or whatever) lists where the list isn't the reason for the list, the clicks and controersy are the purpose."
Ok, I won't bother watching then and give him a view

Zungle

Reaction score

I've read portions of 40 threads.....

We got a Van Halen fan boy......

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
He has a point. Some engineers correct the life out of some tracks.

A note value has a window. When everything is 'nudged' to the leading edge, the life can be squoze right out of the chart... Be fun to toss in some fives and sevens in a session and see what happens with a nudge happy slider munky.... Some phrases just can't be aligned because it would kill the groove. Intentionally NOT aligned.

Elevator music sucks for reasons besides the mondo compression...

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't watch the video. I knew all about quantizing when I had a VCR tape sized sequencer back in the early '90s. Yamaha QY-10 You could quantize down to a 1/32nd note if you wanted to, but the manual warned about over correcting. It also said it would make your music "too mechanical."

I wish I could find another of those, actually. It was a cool toy that I should have used more when I had my keyboard.

cjpeck

Reaction score
He has a point. Some engineers correct the life out of some tracks.

A note value has a window. When everything is 'nudged' to the leading edge, the life can be squoze right out of the chart... Be fun to toss in some fives and sevens in a session and see what happens with a nudge happy slider munky.... Some phrases just can't be aligned because it would kill the groove. Intentionally NOT aligned.

Elevator music sucks for reasons besides the mondo compression...
He might not be wrong in that 'fixing' everything on a track sucks the humanity right out of it.

Problem is he doesn't realize that he and producers like him are the ones FUCKING DOING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
"90% of all tunes in the past 30 years have been snapped to a grid", "nearly all tunes since the 90's have been pitch corrected"...

NO YOU FUCKING FUCK. JUST MOST OF THE CRAP MUSIC IN THE PAST 30 YEARS WAS.

Stop recording crap, dude. You are what's wrong with modern pop music. YOU. Stop quantizing everything and pitch correcting every single track. Forget you have those plugins. In fact, do us all a favor and delete them from your DAW. Go back to a 32 channel analog board and a big fat reel of 2" tape and learn how music works.

redking

Reaction score
He might not be wrong in that 'fixing' everything on a track sucks the humanity right out of it.

Problem is he doesn't realize that he and producers like him are the ones FUCKING DOING IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
"90% of all tunes in the past 30 years have been snapped to a grid", "nearly all tunes since the 90's have been pitch corrected"...

NO YOU FUCKING FUCK. JUST MOST OF THE CRAP MUSIC IN THE PAST 30 YEARS WAS.

Stop recording crap, dude. You are what's wrong with modern pop music. YOU. Stop quantizing everything and pitch correcting every single track. Forget you have those plugins. In fact, do us all a favor and delete them from your DAW. Go back to a 32 channel analog board and a big fat reel of 2" tape and learn how music works.
Weren't you trying to convince me last week that there was "so much" good new music out there to discover? :rofl:

PapaSquash

Reaction score
Some of you guys aren't watching the video - he's basically saying the result completely sucks when you quantise a great band.
I think the criticism comes because he's saying that he has no choice but to do so. He's admitting that he commits these sins and implies that he intends to continue

Reactions: Who

cjpeck

Reaction score

Latest Threads