Dogs

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I live in a very dog oriented town. A couple of days ago, I went to the hardware store, and there was a lady from our shelter by the door, with a dog with a scarf that said "adopt me". The dog was a griffon dog (or a mix, but looked like one). A mid sized, wire haired terrier type dog named Dorie. The dog just loved everybody that came by, did tricks, and never barked. The only reason I didn't just take her (the dog) home is that we have a little rescue dog who makes it clear that she wants to be the only dog in the house. As I have a grand daughter in town who wants a dog, I recommended this dog to her parents. But if they don't chose to adopt Dorie, what should I do? Now, we have a "no kill" shelter, so that takes some pressure off. But I really and quickly bonded with Dorie. So, does anybody here have any recommendations? Should I adopt Dorie and risk the rath of our little dog (who makes it very clear that she wants to be the ONLY dog), or just hope Dorie finds a good home?

Chester Drawers

Reaction score
Could end in a canine standoff....

IMG_0018.JPG

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, I think Dorie does like other dogs, but I don't think our present dog, Coco, does. When we adopted Coco in 2012 we already had a Shih Tzu and they did not get along that well. The Shih Tzu died in 2015 due to incurable liver problems, which was very sad. But now Coco (a Pom or Pom mix) seems happier to be the only dog. If Dorie is not adopted for my grand daughter (or otherwise) friends have suggested that we take Coco to meet Dorie and see how they get along. I think I'll try that. If they get along well, I'll adopt Dorie.

We shouldn't blame Coco if this doesn't happen. She had a rough life in shelters for quite a while after she was apparently dumped on I 25 just south of Colorado Springs, CO and spent much time in a shelter as the smallest dog. For a long time, she would drag her food well away from her bowl, as though she was preventing the big dogs (which weren't around anymore) from stealing it.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would never have just one dog. They need to be with their own kind to mock humans. Adopt or you'll regret it!! Do it.....DO it.....DO IT!!

kfowler8

Reaction score
I think doing a trial to see how they get along is prudent. I wouldn't force the issue if they don't. Dogs are just like people in that there are all kinds. Some just don't like other dogs.

bilbarstow

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dole, We have 4 dogs, 3 of which are "rescues". They each have their personalities, and no doubt at least 1 of them would prefer to be the only dog, but they each have their place in the hierarchy. And even the dog that was not previously playful has made friends with the most recent "newcomer" and they now play together, wrestle over toys, etc. So there is not really a way to predict how the dynamic can change when you introduce a new member to the "pack". Dogs ARE pack animals, and can be greatly influenced by you, as the leader of the pack.

I'd encourage you to at least try with an introduction between the two animals. It is rare enough to have such an immediate bond with an animal, I would listen to your inner voice on the issue. Rescue animals are the best and often seem grateful for being saved.

Mule Train

Reaction score
There is the male female thing, Alpha thing and the age thing. Poms are smaller but still part of the Spitz family. My 25 lb Spitz gets along with other dogs and that is normal. The smaller Poms may not and that is normal. It seems smaller dogs are intimidated more and try to act big.

Dilemma

Loud Pipes Ruin Naps
Reaction score
Dogs. Oh boy don't get me started. :run:

So some credentials are in order first. I've been training dogs as a side job for over 20 years. I teach a beginner obedience class at a dedicated training facility, (not a PetSmart type place) I've exhibited in Obedience Trials, Conformation, Nosework, AKC Good Citizen and currently have a Registered Therapy Dog in the house. I've also worked with the Minneapolis PD procuring bullet proof vests for the K9 officers. We do dogs in this house. :rofl:

Your current dog and Dorie can coexist but you're going to have to make the introductions and supervise for a while. Do NOT just dump them in the back yard to sort it out. That'll end badly and you'll end up in the Vet's office with a ripped ear or worse. Keep them separate for a while. Your current dog will relax after a bit when he realizes there's another dog in the house. This is when the introductions start. You should leash Dorie and your wife should leash your current dog. Let them sniff, let them get used to the idea of one another. Start there.

I'll tell you what. We've had a minimum of four dogs in this house for over 25 years and in all that time we've only had two that absolutely could not and would not get along. Two bitches. Figures. :laugh2:

Scooter2112

Reaction score
image.jpeg

We had the small female first, and she didn't seem like the type to share her environment. The bigger male came along later. She didn't like it much at first, but she's compromised some, while still letting him know who's boss.

kiko

Reaction score
They tend to get along better than us humans!

Maybe you can arrange a trial live in? Bet they'll get along just fine.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Bring her home for a trial run. Start with a few play dates. You're retired, right?? ;)
If the two seem to hit it off, then bring Dorie home for a week or two to see how it goes.
It might be the best thing either of them ever had.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My pug hated my boxer when we brought him home. But within a week and still 10 years later she has become a mom to him. Even though he could (but never would) probably rip her to shreds and is 4 times the size, she is the boss, and the boxer knows it. They have each others backs big time.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
My pug hated my boxer when we brought him home. But within a week and still 10 years later she has become a mom to him. Even though he could (but never would) probably rip her to shreds and is 4 times the size, she is the boss, and the boxer knows it. They have each others backs big time.

Boxers are the gentle giants of the dog world.
I miss mine very sorely.

freak

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
bring something along and wipe the 'soon to be adapted dog' with it.
Bring it home to the old dog.
let her smell it, get used to it.
when you bring the new dog home, have the misses bring out the old dog, and just walk together, the 4 of you, as if it were normal.
go into the house like nothing is different, have their food ready (separate of course) let them eat, and act as if everything is 'how it should be'.

Olds442

Reaction score
Dogs. Oh boy don't get me started. :run:

So some credentials are in order first. I've been training dogs as a side job for over 20 years. I teach a beginner obedience class at a dedicated training facility, (not a PetSmart type place) I've exhibited in Obedience Trials, Conformation, Nosework, AKC Good Citizen and currently have a Registered Therapy Dog in the house. I've also worked with the Minneapolis PD procuring bullet proof vests for the K9 officers. We do dogs in this house. :rofl:

Your current dog and Dorie can coexist but you're going to have to make the introductions and supervise for a while. Do NOT just dump them in the back yard to sort it out. That'll end badly and you'll end up in the Vet's office with a ripped ear or worse. Keep them separate for a while. Your current dog will relax after a bit when he realizes there's another dog in the house. This is when the introductions start. You should leash Dorie and your wife should leash your current dog. Let them sniff, let them get used to the idea of one another. Start there.

I'll tell you what. We've had a minimum of four dogs in this house for over 25 years and in all that time we've only had two that absolutely could not and would not get along. Two bitches. Figures. :laugh2:
i was going to suggest getting a pro trainer's advice, and here you have it.

i have a 5 yr old mutt from a shelter (see my avatar?) and have started to work with a trainer recently as she has been showing signs of aggression towards other dogs. the difference is amazing.

pro's know how to speak dog. most people don't. listen to a pro and I doubt you'll have any issues with Dorie or your current dog.

they love to be in packs! the more the merrier, typically.

Crotch

Mega Pints
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boxers are the gentle giants of the dog world.
I miss mine very sorely.
I'll probably never go without one EVER.
When the Dude dies which hopefully is a few years down the road I'm getting 2. I think they need another one around to release the stupid with. Only a boxer can understand the idiocy of another boxer imo. Butt wigglin dummies. So brilliantly stupid and so good with kids.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
I'll probably never go without one EVER.
When the Dude dies which hopefully is a few years down the road I'm getting 2. I think they need another one around to release the stupid with. Only a boxer can understand the idiocy of another boxer imo. Butt wigglin dummies. So brilliantly stupid and so good with kids.

That's brilliant. Maybe get a deal on two! We had an older one and tried to get a younger one for him to train and enjoy.
It didn't work out at all like that. The new one was a asshole. We found a home for him before I found a hole for him.
Buying two together could really fix that. Hopefully they're the same size. :)

Latest Threads