Dog: man's best friend for over 33,000 years

acstorfer

Reaction score
I am pretty sure a wolf and a dog can mate and have offspring, not really a new species, per se.

What I was saying is that dogs evolved from wolves. They became a new species from wolves. Most things evolve to fit new situations, but normally it takes many centuries, if not millennia. And generally their evolution doesn't come in the case of a new species. In the case of the dog, it happened in under a century.

Mule Train

Reaction score
We as man would not be as advanced today, or even survived in certain parts of the world without dogs. Today as pets they give people a special happiness that can't be discribed in words. As workers they help many people in all kinds of situation's. What's not to love?

teame1

Reaction score
We as man would not be as advanced today, or even survived in certain parts of the world without dogs. Today as pets they give people a special happiness that can't be discribed in words. As workers they help many people in all kinds of situation's. What's not to love?

Doobie sniffers at the airport for a start:naughty:

1.jpg

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
My uncle, who raised cattle in East Texas when I was a boy, had a half-wolf-half German shepherd (named "Lobo", imaginatively enough) who was the smartest canine I've ever seen. We could be sitting on the porch drinking iced tea and Uncle Rip would just say, "Lobo, go get the cattle." Dog would go out to the pasture, round up the cattle, and herd them into the corral, and then wait by the entrance for my Uncle to reward him.

Or, I'd be out hiking in the woods ... my Uncle would send him out to find me and make sure I was okay.

Amazing.

Also, dogs and wolves aren't separate species. Dogs are a subspecies of Canis lupus, which is the grey wolf, and are known as C. Lupus familiaris. That's why dogs and wolves can produce fertile offspring when mated.

Latest Threads