Dog Ear vs Soap Bar P-90

Reaction score
Dog Ear vs Soap Bar refers to the cover over the P-90.

Soap Bar P-90 Cover

Dog Ear P-90 Cover

1961-66 SG Juniors have Dog Ear P-90's.
1966-71 SG Juniors have Soap Bar P-90's.
1961-71 SG Specials have Soap Bar P-90's.
SG Classics have Soap Bar P-90's.

An SG Special with small guard has the Soap Bar P-90's screwed directly to the wood at the bottom of the pickup cavity unless it is a recent model with the a metal baseplate attached to the bottom of the pickup cavity as pictured below.

The metal baseplate pictured above can accept either Soap Bar P-90's or Mini Humbuckers as pictured below.

An SG Classic or late 1960's SG Special with large guard (Batwing) has the Soap Bar P-90's attached to the guard using removable metal baseplates with ears as pictured below.

Pictured below is the metal baseplate with ears removed from the the Soap Bar P-90.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
This informative post might well be appreciated on the regular Gibson forum, where you'd most likely find a lot of peeps who never look 'under the hood' of their axes. Maybe you could expand the info to showing the unique way the deluxe mini is adjusted, as it doesn't follow any of the other typical mounting methods for other Gibson pickups.

Us builders here are generally well versed on the differences......especially as we have to rout for them more often than not. Of course here we look at the typical dogear rout, the differences between vintage vs modern soapbar p90 rout as well.......plus the special rout needed for the staple

Reaction score
This informative post might well be appreciated on the regular Gibson forum, where you'd most likely find a lot of peeps who never look 'under the hood' of their axes. Maybe you could expand the info to showing the unique way the deluxe mini is adjusted, as it doesn't follow any of the other typical mounting methods for other Gibson pickups.

Us builders here are generally well versed on the differences......especially as we have to rout for them more often than not. Of course here we look at the typical dogear rout, the differences between vintage vs modern soapbar p90 rout as well.......plus the special rout needed for the staple
I only created this thread as a reference so that I could link to it as to not hijack another thread where another member was confusing the two.

efstop

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've replaced P-90s with mini humbuckers, replaced P-90S with P-90 (the P-90 needs more rout depth than a P-90S) and successfully replaced a humbucker that was guard mounted with a P-90S that required special engineering (had to use a crude plate, drill holes, and install T-nuts.)

ARandall

Reaction score
I only created this thread as a reference so that I could link to it as to not hijack another thread where another member was confusing the two.
Was it in this subforum???
If not, it might be better to stick it into either the general Les Paul or tonefreaks/pickups sections as they are the more populated and/or specific areas.....especially by those with varied pickup/technical knowledge.

LesPolsfuss

Reaction score
Thank
Dog Ear vs Soap Bar refers to the cover over the P-90.

Soap Bar P-90 Cover

Dog Ear P-90 Cover

1961-66 SG Juniors have Dog Ear P-90's.
1966-71 SG Juniors have Soap Bar P-90's.
1961-71 SG Specials have Soap Bar P-90's.
SG Classics have Soap Bar P-90's.

An SG Special with small guard has the Soap Bar P-90's screwed directly to the wood at the bottom of the pickup cavity unless it is a recent model with the a metal baseplate attached to the bottom of the pickup cavity as pictured below.

The metal baseplate pictured above can accept either Soap Bar P-90's or Mini Humbuckers as pictured below.

An SG Classic or late 1960's SG Special with large guard (Batwing) has the Soap Bar P-90's attached to the guard using removable metal baseplates with ears as pictured below.

Pictured below is the metal baseplate with ears removed from the the Soap Bar P-90.

Thank you, this is good for reference.

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
My 1958 Les Paul Double Cut Cherry Junior is one of the 4 digit Juniors that has a soapbar under the dog ear cover! It's down into the wood. It sounds humungous.

I also love the soapbar P-90s in my 1964 Cherry SG Special and the soapbars in my PRS McCarty.

Someday I hope to own a Single Cut Les Paul Sunburst Junior, and then I'll get to experience true dog ear pickups.

Dog ear or soap bar - I love me some P-90s.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you want to get really complete in here we can start talking about how Gibson keeps changing the radius of their soapbar routes in guitars so that not all soapbar covers fit all Gibson models/years.

Also, how the various pole spacings used prevent one from swapping covers around, even when the radius of the outside of the cover does fit the route. Humbucker covers can be fairly forgiving for different pole spacings, if you're willing to live with gaps and such, but P-90 covers are not at all forgiving regarding this and simply won't fit, if the pole spacing isn't exact.

Then, there's the whole dog ear height and top radius issue with different size spacers, different length pole screws, different depth covers, different radius covers, cover shims, cover angles relative to the string brake angle, etc.

There are no aftermarket solutions to accommodate some of this stuff and bobbins, covers, keepers, baseplates, etc. often have to be custom fabricated or modified to fit.

P-90s can actually be some of the most difficult pickups to fit. Or not. Swapping P-90s and their covers around can be an issue that never comes up as they just drop in, or a long nightmare for someone trying to figure all this out.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
....and none of what I just said accounts for shrinkage/warpage of vintage examples. :shock:

mdubya

Reaction score
Great post. I have the pick guard mounted ones in my SG Classic (A5, fully wound) and Dog Ears in my ES 330 (A2, under wound) and I had soap bars in my 50's Tribute (A5, fully wound). All sound different and all sound great. I would love to have another 50's Tribute to round things out. Every time someone plugs in my SG Classic, their eye pop open. The 330 is more subtle, but sounds so good, too.

Damn, the coffee is strong this afternoon. :eek2: :beer:

JohnK

Reaction score
I've swapped the P-90s in my Epi a few times, with pickups from different places , have had trouble. I guess if you stick with newer gear you won't have as many issues.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've swapped the P-90s in my Epi a few times, with pickups from different places , have had trouble. I guess if you stick with newer gear you won't have as many issues.
I'm glad you had no issues with swapping pickups in one Epiphone, but the opposite is actually the case.

There are more variables in cover / route size and shape, and more variables in pole spacing with modern guitars and P-90s than there were with vintage examples.