Does this trade sound fair to you?

Filipem

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trading one my epi's for another

I have a epiphone Les paul standard plus top with a Seymour Duncan alnico pro ll installed on the bridge and a Seymour Duncan alnico slash pickup in the neck position no case

Trading for a epi Les paul ultra ll with case

Both guitars are in very good shape no dings or dents. The only flaw with the ultra is a cracked jack plate.

This sound like a fair trade?

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
All that matters Filipem is whether it's worth it to you - beyond that, nothing else maters
smile.gif

Personally, the Ultra is the only Epi Les Paul model I've encountered that I found disappointing
mellow.gif

It was an Ultra III that had so much fret buzz that I couldn't satisfactorily get sorted, felt too light for a Les Paul and as such, suffered 'headstock dive' and it felt as if the strap was always annoyingly tugging forward on my left shoulder. I tried to stick with it as I quite liked the things it could deliver, but ultimately, it just wasn't right for me, so it went back

The 'Acoustic' feature was the thing which first interested me in the Ultra though I have to say, as it would have suited my needs nicely. When the Ultra didn't work out, I installed a piezo bridge on a 2003 Classic and I now have everything I need
thumbsup.gif

dbagmaximus

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trading one my epi's for another

I have a epiphone Les paul standard plus top with a Seymour Duncan alnico pro ll installed on the bridge and a Seymour Duncan alnico slash pickup in the neck position no case

Trading for a epi Les paul ultra ll with case

Both guitars are in very good shape no dings or dents. The only flaw with the ultra is a cracked jack plate.

This sound like a fair trade?

I've had the Ultra II, unless you ABSOLUTELY need to have the shadowmag thing for acoustic sounds, I'd say forget it.

On a side note are you from somewhere in Ontario, Canada? I sold an Ultra II with a cracked jack plate a few months ago aha

jamdogg

Reaction score
I wouldnt trade, but im not an Ultra fan.

Filipem

Reaction score
That's disappointing to hear. I'm going to check it out though it may be a decent guitar. Truthfully I was hoping it would be like any other epi Les paul. I had no idea it was that light. I sold a SG because of the head diving. Yes I am in Ontario but the cracked jack plate is something I've seen on almost every ultra ad I've seen for sale.

Unsung what kind of piezo did you install? Were you able to do the installation yourself?

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Unsung what kind of piezo did you install? Were you able to do the installation yourself?

Hey Filipem
wavey.gif

I did indeed do the install
yessmiley.gif
It was done as soon as I got my '03 Classic, which itself was bought immediately after the disappointment of the Ultra...

Retaining the original look with no visible wires or extra switches etc is important to me, so I installed a very simple tune-o-matic bridge that has piezos loaded into it and wired that to a push/push pot in the bridge tone control position to switch between piezo bridge and standard pickups.

That pot then doubles as a master tone control for the whole output, whilst the neck tone control was swapped out to become a volume control for the piezo.

Here's a couple shots taken when it was originally done, but they don't show that much detail:

18_zps84b18b20.jpg

19_zpsfde15296.jpg

25_zps7bc21042.jpg

Now, here's the really cool bit - I have no onboard processing / EQ / circuitry for the piezo and as such, no need for a battery either
biggrin.gif

However - and here's the kicker - the bare, naked sound of that piezo would not sound good through a traditional amp or straight to mixing desk... I run it through Fractal Audio AxeFX unit and they're not cheap - but with the processing power that it has, I can make the 'acoustic' sound rather pleasing!

Well, pleasing in as much as it sounds more like an acoustic than a Les Paul when the piezo is engaged and the right preset on the AxeFX is dialled up
thumbsup.gif

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I would do that trade in a heartbeat. (see my avatar). Most Ultra II's have broken jack plates.

Filipem

Reaction score
Thanks for responding guys. Unsung thank you for posting the pictures. What kind or brand is your piezo?

56GT

Reaction score
I'm suspicious of anything with the word "ultra" in its description... :naughty:

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for responding guys. Unsung thank you for posting the pictures. What kind or brand is your piezo?

No worries
thumbsup.gif

The piezo is completely unbranded - not a marking on it! You can of course get crazy expensive, but I do remember this was actually very reasonable and not having any on board circuitry helps with cost too
smile.gif

Filipem

Reaction score
Thanks unsung for the reply. I checked our The guitar today and well it didn't feel like my other LP's. The nanomag was hard to judge the seller had a cheap electric amp and I really didn't have a chance to hear it properly. I passed on it.

Unsung Heroes

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Having an 'acoustic' option live without having to resort to carrying multiple guitars is important to both myself and the other guitarist in my band.

The Line6 Variax does that well (hence why my first Epi Les Paul was moved on
mellow.gif
) and the MusicMan JP6 that I had before getting back to a Les Paul did it awesomely - so after the disappointment of the Ultra III, I was pretty damned chuffed when I discovered that this option of piezo bridge, no additional switches and no on-board circuitry / battery would work for me
thumbsup.gif

I think you made the right call not getting that guitar if it didn't feel right for you
yessmiley.gif

Latest Threads