Does this tail piece look right for a 93 60's reissue?

Phylodog

Reaction score
I'm in the early stages of learning about LP's so be gentle. Does this look stock for a 93 60's reissue?

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Even the bridge...
Gold plating on a '60s reissue?

:dunno:

Two words:
More pics!

christopherJ

Reaction score
That is not a stock 60's reissue guaranteed. It might be a gibson, no way in the world to tell from that pic.

cherrick

Reaction score
Ah, it's a Classic. Labeling those "60's Reissue" was a horrible blunder.

And, I've never seen a Classic with that quilt top and a missing pickguard (which would have had the "60's" embossed on it). Maybe because it's a Classic Plus?

It does have those horrible bile-green, urine-stained inlays on the fretboard.

jbash

Reaction score
Yeah classic plus- I thought so when I saw the first pic. They didn't put pickguards on them. But Classics of the era had the "1960" pickguard. Probably the reason for the 1960 reissue talk.

The tp is not stock, but realistically that is as close to a custom shop 1960 reissue as you will get on a Gibson USA production model, and they are highly regarded by those who like the thin necks.

gadgetfreak

Reaction score
That's a nice guitar, I've been looking for an early 90's myself. I like how the font is higher and curious what pickups are in there. You could always put bridge and tailpiece back to what it was if you didn't like what's on there.

How much was it?? Dig it man

jbash

Reaction score
Looks to have been re-fretted too.

Price seems about the going average on Reverb. I'd probably try to knock it down a couple hundred and see what he says.

Phylodog

Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. Hoping to go look at it this evening.

Phylodog

Reaction score
Just spoke to the owner and I'm going to go see it shortly. Someone has a good eye, it has been refretted. It was professionally done but the owner wanted to disclose it before I go out of my way to see it. Frets are now over the binding.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks like they unsolder the pickups completely out to take pics...how unnecessary... no telling what’s in there now.

DonP

Reaction score
I saw this today on CL as well. Let us know what you think if you go to see it.

The price might be OK if you really want it. It is a 1993 the ad said. I don't think it is highway robbery.

The tailpiece is a Gibson TP-6. They made them for a few years only. You could replace it with a regular tailpiece if you want. Some say they suck tone.

Phylodog

Reaction score
I'm really not worried about the tailpiece. I have two LPs with Faber's and I'm a big fan so I'd put one on this guitar as well. I was more concerned about it being an indicator of it not being as described.

Wish I'd have asked about the weight, I prefer a lighter guitar with my bad shoulder. I'm going to wait until Saturday (hopefully, waiting to hear back) to check it out. I'm not feeling great and I'll be right by the owner then.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
First time I've seen those stamps in the cavity. You learn something every day I guess.

Latest Threads