Does This Sound Like a Decent Starting Setup?

GuitarToneFreak

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm hoping to get some help with this. It won't be for any time soon, but I'd still appreciate some help as to whether or not this sounds like a setup that could get me a good quality recording.

So basically, I'm a solo project right now. I'm looking to get a band together later, but for now it's just me and I'd like to record my stuff. So I was thinking about an all digital (pretty much) way of achieving this, something that could easily be done with just a computer. What I came up with was this (and I'd also like recommendations on these separate parts as well). If I'm missing any gears that'll stop this from running, please let me know :D

Computer - Audio Interface - DAW - Guitar/Bass Plugin - Drum Plugin - Mic - Vocal Plugin/Program/etc. - Mixing and Mastering software

I know a little about DAWs, mainly FL Studio which I use for electronic music, but feel free to throw in your favorite and why you like it. I'm also not too schooled in the realm of AIs, so recommendations on that would be awesome as well.

However, all that aside - would that setup be able to get me a decent, quality recording? I came across this guy's video on YouTube and thought it sounded excellent. The music isn't what I'd be recording and it's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't matter. He says he's only using freeware plugins and drum software for the sounds,

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L4rzvbgDpU]How I record songs at home - YouTube[/ame]

If I could get anywhere near that quality I'd be happy.

eatapeach

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm hoping to get some help with this. It won't be for any time soon, but I'd still appreciate some help as to whether or not this sounds like a setup that could get me a good quality recording.

So basically, I'm a solo project right now. I'm looking to get a band together later, but for now it's just me and I'd like to record my stuff. So I was thinking about an all digital (pretty much) way of achieving this, something that could easily be done with just a computer. What I came up with was this (and I'd also like recommendations on these separate parts as well). If I'm missing any gears that'll stop this from running, please let me know :D

Computer - Audio Interface - DAW - Guitar/Bass Plugin - Drum Plugin - Mic - Vocal Plugin/Program/etc. - Mixing and Mastering software

I know a little about DAWs, mainly FL Studio which I use for electronic music, but feel free to throw in your favorite and why you like it. I'm also not too schooled in the realm of AIs, so recommendations on that would be awesome as well.

However, all that aside - would that setup be able to get me a decent, quality recording? I came across this guy's video on YouTube and thought it sounded excellent. The music isn't what I'd be recording and it's not my cup of tea, but that doesn't matter. He says he's only using freeware plugins and drum software for the sounds,

How I record songs at home - YouTube

If I could get anywhere near that quality I'd be happy.

• Reaper. Free but you really should pay the $60 - low cost.
  • Addictive drums - free to start and pay to add kits - works as a VST plug in.
  • AI - Focusrite with as many/few inputs as you want. Firewire or usb variants.
  • Lots and lots of free VSTs for vocals, there are pages and pages of recommendations for free VSTs.
  • I would also budget for a decent mic (and you can spend lots here) and some nearfield monitors

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
  • Reaper. Free but you really should pay the $60 - low cost.
  • Addictive drums - free to start and pay to add kits - works as a VST plug in.
  • AI - Focusrite with as many/few inputs as you want. Firewire or usb variants.
  • Lots and lots of free VSTs for vocals, there are pages and pages of recommendations for free VSTs.
  • I would also budget for a decent mic (and you can spend lots here) and some nearfield monitors

Pretty good start. All I can add is you can get up and running relatively cheap. Most of the stuff on my page in my sig is guitar/interface/iMac. I use protools and have tons of amp sims and different drum software programs. If you want great sounding recordings, you'll need good monitors also. That'll get pricey. My Adams run about 1200 bucks, as well as my rosetta AD/DA converter which is 1700. Stuff starts getting pricey as you want to hear clearer and clearer in order to mix accurately.

eatapeach

Reaction score
Pretty good start. All I can add is you can get up and running relatively cheap. Most of the stuff on my page in my sig is guitar/interface/iMac. I use protools and have tons of amp sims and different drum software programs. If you want great sounding recordings, you'll need good monitors also. That'll get pricey. My Adams run about 1200 bucks, as well as my rosetta AD/DA converter which is 1700. Stuff starts getting pricey as you want to hear clearer and clearer in order to mix accurately.

The OP didn't say if it was PC or MAc based......!

Yes - start as cheap as you can. I began with a Line 6 Pod Farm UX1 interface for about 50 quid. I discovered I could plug an old hi-fi amp into it, a pair of old speakers - and a mic. I then discovered Abelton, Protools, Reaper as demos and decided that the DAW I'd use would be Reaper - based on price and performance. I'd suggest experimenting with free stuff and demos until you find something that you absolutely must have and need to pay for it!

In the longer term it's worth spending a bit on the interface, and monitors as Joey says. Start as cheap as you can, don't worry about getting the perfect setup but start now. Saying "It won't be for any time soon" is like saying "I'm not going to start learning guitar until I can afford a Gibson".

It's cheaper then you think!

blues_n_cues

Reaction score
i use mixcraft by acoustica but I'm moving to proTools so I can take basic tracks to the real studio & be able to work on them.
mixcraft5 is great but is proprietary.

GuitarToneFreak

Reaction score
The OP didn't say if it was PC or MAc based......!

Yes - start as cheap as you can. I began with a Line 6 Pod Farm UX1 interface for about 50 quid. I discovered I could plug an old hi-fi amp into it, a pair of old speakers - and a mic. I then discovered Abelton, Protools, Reaper as demos and decided that the DAW I'd use would be Reaper - based on price and performance. I'd suggest experimenting with free stuff and demos until you find something that you absolutely must have and need to pay for it!

In the longer term it's worth spending a bit on the interface, and monitors as Joey says. Start as cheap as you can, don't worry about getting the perfect setup but start now. Saying "It won't be for any time soon" is like saying "I'm not going to start learning guitar until I can afford a Gibson".

It's cheaper then you think!

Woops! I always leave something out :doh:

I'm PC based.

Thanks guys! :dude:

Also, good point about the Gibson thing. The only reason I said it won't be for any time soon is because I have some other stuff I have my eye on first, and then I'll start focusing on recording stuff.

Username1

Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend ?-- i'm a big Pro Tools supporter, they come in a lot of bundles with interfaces, some cheap, some not so much, and of course the entry level ones come with fairly stripped down versions of the software.

GuitarToneFreak

Reaction score
How much are you looking to spend ?-- i'm a big Pro Tools supporter, they come in a lot of bundles with interfaces, some cheap, some not so much, and of course the entry level ones come with fairly stripped down versions of the software.

I'm not sure, since it'll be later I think I'd like to spend up to $1000 or so on the actual tools. Other important parts, like the monitors that Joey mentioned, I'm not quite sure.

I've seen Pro Tools demos before, and it looks incredibly hard to navigate - is that true? I mean, everything has a learning curve, but Pro Tools looks ridiculous.

Username1

Reaction score
I've seen Pro Tools demos before, and it looks incredibly hard to navigate - is that true? I mean, everything has a learning curve, but Pro Tools looks ridiculous.

No it's easier then every other DAW i've ever used, but it takes time, i'm still calling Joey for help and i've had it since the winter

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, since it'll be later I think I'd like to spend up to $1000 or so on the actual tools. Other important parts, like the monitors that Joey mentioned, I'm not quite sure.

Any of the fully featured DAWs will have a learning curve, Protools being no exception. Protools has its pluses and minuses, just like the others. The stuff that doesn't have much of a learning curve gets really old really fast because of its limitations. All a DAW is is a big virtual tape machine with a mixing console. The same way you'd use that stuff, you'd use a DAW. If I turned you loose in a 48 track studio you'd probably have no idea how to power it up much less record any audio. Same learning curve :thumb:

fsenseman

Reaction score
I find Reaper as a DAW to be very good, especially at its price point. I also agree regarding Focusrite as a good audio interface. I've got the Saffire PRO 24 at it wasn't that bad price wise. You can find one for about 250.00 US. If you go with a firewire interface check what chip is used in your PC. Seems most people recommend Texas Instruments. I have that setup and it works well. Other brands of chips can cause problems but you can always buy an add-in card with a firewire interface with the chipset recommended by the manufacturer. You could also go with USB but make sure it's 2.0. 1.0 or 1.1 can give latency issues.

Kind Regards,
Fleet

Latest Threads