Does this scream 'Plywood'?

garybaldy

Reaction score
I have had a keen interest in the Japanese/Korean 'copies' from the 70s,80s and 90s. I have 4 Fenix, 2 Vester, 1 Tokai and a Westbury. Fresher is one of my saved searches on Ebay as I've always thought (may be wrongly?) they to be of good quality. This came up today. To my inexperienced eye, based on the style of sunburst, my suspicion that this could be a ply body. What do you think, folks? TIA.
https://www.ebay.de/itm/283211749995?ul_noapp=true

Olds442

Reaction score
it's a bad burst but that doesn't mean it's plywood. i think i remember this one from the japan auctions because of it, or one similar.

hbucker

Reaction score
Based on it being a '77 Japanese guitar, and an off brand it's very likely that it's got a laminated body. IMO, if you're interested in these kinds of guitars (it makes sense that there is a collector market for these) things like lower quality materials are something that tend to come with the package.

I am the original owner of a '74 Ventura SG copy. Corners cut everywhere, but it's a decent enough guitar. And the sentimental value puts it over the top for me.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I don't like the looks of the back of the neck. It looks like it is different wood below about the 5th fret than above, with some sort of butt joint. If this is the case, that's no good.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I don't like the looks of the back of the neck. It looks like it is different wood below about the 5th fret than above, with some sort of butt joint. If this is the case, that's no good.
Might be the markings of a stand and different degrees of yellowing.
The fretboard shows two tones as well.
I tried to blow it up but the pic is low resolution
so it remains unanswered.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What difference does ply make? Done correctly, none...

A Lester is plywood. ;)

One ply is hog, one ply is maple which can be multiple plies across. Plywood.
Neck can be single hog or multiple plies of maple. Plywood.
Some Norlins had three ply slabs [Hog - thin Maple - offset° Hog] then a multiple piece layer of maple on top. Plywood.

Plywood is simply multiple plies of wood laminated together. It could be shit wood or good wood. Just is...

:cool2:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many guitars are multiple layer bodies...

Some are like Lesters but add a thin ass veneer over the thicker maple cap so it will look pretty (quilt/flame/etc.)...

If the joins are true, the gluing is done correctly and cure done correctly, then multiple pieces do not matter much....

if you took several Epi Lesters and Gib Lesters and blue bagged the heads, then had folks play em while wearing welding goggles... well, I don't need to go further, methinks...

Brians Evil Twin

Poophoria Sōtō Zen
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I disagree Dole, I don't think that's a butt or scarf joint, just a variation in the wood. But as with any solid body electric guitar, it's all about how the neck plays and the pickups sound. But if you're familiar with these guitars and can set it up the way you like, it looks like a pretty nice Strat for $333 American.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flame maple, mang... Just one flame though..... :)

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Brian’s,

You don’t ned to disagree with me, because I don’t really know the cause of the color variance in the neck back. It just raises questions I would like to have answered to if I were considering buying this guitar.

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
Brian’s,

You don’t ned to disagree with me, because I don’t really know the cause of the color variance in the neck back. It just raises questions I would like to have answered to if I were considering buying this guitar.
I have a maple neck with a couple of streaks like that. It's just natural figuring, nothing to worry about.

Latest Threads