Does this look like one piece back on this lester?

Brek

Reaction score
Looks it to me, but my eyes aren’t what they were.
7FD78C49-082B-4093-A88A-B373341BCC8D.jpeg

smk506

Reaction score
Could be. :dunno:Kinda hard to tell from the pic angle and glare.

Best way to tell is to look head on at the rear strat pin. The join lines are usually pretty obvious from that POV.

integra evan

Reaction score
Hard to tell. They do a pretty good job of matching up backs, mostly.

gball

Reaction score
Not the best photo but to me it looks like 2 pieces. I actually think I can see the seam pretty clearly.
You didn't mention the model or year but it would be very unusual to find a 1 piece back these days.

Hogie34

Reaction score
Not the best photo but to me it looks like 2 pieces. I actually think I can see the seam pretty clearly.
You didn't mention the model or year but it would be very unusual to find a 1 piece back these days.
I’m with gball. I’m seeing the seam pretty clearly on my end. Still a good looking back regardless!

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity- why would someone want a one piece back?

Having studied classical first and foremost I’ve always been under the impression that two piece backs are a better structure.

Is this different with electrics, or is it more about appearance?

gball

Reaction score
My new 50's is a one-piece back and looking at all the ones Wildwood's gotten in recently I don't think it's as rare as some folks think.
Not trying to argue or anything, but I just looked through about 10 of the ones they have on this page and every one clearly has a 2-piece back - they have gotten ridiculously good at matching up the seams these days but there is always a tell. If you yourself ended up with a recently-built 1-piece you got yourself a unicorn, because as you can see in any Gibson factory video their automatic, standard way of making them is to build them with a 2-piece back. Anyway, it doesn't matter a bit for tone and like Wuuthrad says, a 2-piece is likely to be lot more stable over time.

Brek

Reaction score
It’s a 2004. I do think it’s a good looking piece of mahogany all the same.

Pappy35

Reaction score
Not trying to argue or anything, but I just looked through about 10 of the ones they have on this page and every one clearly has a 2-piece back - they have gotten ridiculously good at matching up the seams these days but there is always a tell. If you yourself ended up with a recently-built 1-piece you got yourself a unicorn, because as you can see in any Gibson factory video their automatic, standard way of making them is to build them with a 2-piece back. Anyway, it doesn't matter a bit for tone and like Wuuthrad says, a 2-piece is likely to be lot more stable over time.
When you're right you're right. I didn't look closely enough at those. They really do match them up very nicely and intially had me fooled, looking again I can see the joints. Mine is a one-piece which I checked by examining the end-grain by the strap button. That and the grain runs at a slight angle across where a joint would be.

I agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with a two-piece back. Aesthetically, I like them more actually but some some-piece backs are pretty cool looking. Check out a few of the Gibson Custom Shop offerings on Wildwood's site, backside eye-candy! :drool:

IMG_20200914_185933-1.jpg

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
The joint isn't always in the middle. The seam on my Tribute is just under the edge of the rear cavity cover. A mere 3/4" sliver.

Almost a 1 piece ;)

I inspected a '17 Tribute that had a 1 piece back. Unusual, but it happens now and then.

Reaction score

a couple of us posted our 50s in another thread, they seem pretty common on the new 50s models

Pappy35

Reaction score
a couple of us posted our 50s in another thread, they seem pretty common on the new 50s models
Thanks to this thread went back with a bright flashlight and examined the end grain all the way around and mine looks like yours. There's no seam and the grain looks like that (running at angles where any joint could be.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Anyway, it doesn't matter a bit for tone and like Wuuthrad says, a 2-piece is likely to be lot more stable over time.
I don’t know the reason for Electric’s being one piece, and was curious why this was considered a good feature?

My understanding of Classical construction is not expert level or anything (I’m an aging intermediate level player who occasionally reaches above my level, on a good day anyway) is that it’s hard or nearly impossible to find good pieces of instrument lumber that size, and book matching provides more stability and also nice looking grain patterns.

I wonder if there are benefits in solid guitar construction to a one piece? I imagine there might be at least a few that I’m unaware of.

christopherJ

Reaction score
To a player is matters not. To a cork sniffer it matters a great deal. There is really no advantage other than ease of manufacture (using 1 piece instead of multiple).

The biggest benefit to using multi piece backs is the environment.

Latest Threads