Does this Catalin switch tip look vintage to you?

luizhmax

Reaction score
Is there a guide on how to spot a fake besides the mold seam most reproductions have? I know about the bakelite smell test as well... the problem is covid took my sense of smell so can't use that one right now...

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 59
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 57
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 60

markguitar

MLP Vendor
Reaction score
The 2nd picture showing the inside threads is nowhere clear enough to see the details.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Funny. I was just examining one of my tips this weekend after seeing a post about spotting a real one. (I think it was on es335.com). I took mine off and ran under hot water...and while I have no idea what formaldehyde smells like, my tip stunk when warmed up.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Formaldehyde smells of death and sadness to me. Indescribably unpleasant, with a close association with the few visits to undertakers and chapels of rest I have taken.

Aside from that though, what's not to like? ;)

Liam

jimi55lp

Reaction score
I'd have to see it in hand and measured by caliper against an original to be sure? This tip looks like the correct material (catelin) but the top carve looks crisp to me on the radius, but hard to know from photos. If someone polished it, the patina would become less amber or even totally removed making it cream colored again but the patina would return after years of sun light exposure. It looks very glossy making me think it has been polished at some point? Other than these things I've listed, I think it looks like a real/original Swithcraft that has been very high polished? IMHO

luizhmax

Reaction score
I'd have to see it in hand and measured by caliper against an original to be sure? This tip looks like the correct material (catelin) but the top carve looks crisp to me on the radius, but hard to know from photos. If someone polished it, the patina would become less amber or even totally removed making it cream colored again but the patina would return after years of sun light exposure. It looks very glossy making me think it has been polished at some point? Other than these things I've listed, I think it looks like a real/original Swithcraft that has been very high polished? IMHO
Thank you. That was helpful.

Latest Threads