Does this '57 Junior look ok?

capnjim

Reaction score
Hi there, so I have wanted a 50's sunburst singlecut LP jr for a long time. Being in Canada, there are not many options. With our dollar, buying from the US is not an option.
This one is on Reverb and the guy is in Canada. Price is steep, 6500$ cdn, around 5000$ US,
I am very interested, but I have a few concerns.
Seller states it was re-fretted as the first few frets were worn out. Shouldn't the neck have more wear??
There doesn't seem to be much finish checking. The posts have gaps where they should actually be leaning into the body.
The black on the upper top looks weird as well.
Plus, non original knobs. This clean and original, the knobs should be original.
Am I being paranoid? Overly cautious?
I am not a collector and sold a ton of guitars and amps to save for my one dream guitar. It would be a huge purchase and I would not want to be disappointed.
Cheers

https://reverb.com/item/13199862-gibson-les-paul-jr-1957-tobacco

Droog

Reaction score
I wouldn't get too hung up on the lack of wear or checking, I've seen lots of 50's Les Pauls with original finish and no checking. As far as the knobs go, it's 60+ year old plastic, sometimes that stuff will get broken. I'd maybe see if you could get a little more knocked off the price for the refret and the changed parts, and no original case ( not totally clear on that bit ) but these issues wouldn't steer me away from a 1950's Junior. If the old wood is there, the vintage P-90, the old pots and caps, that's the meat and potatoes of a vintage Junior, the rest is just sides.

Last edited:

Zentar

Reaction score
Looks like new solder.
I'd be suspicious of a 60yo P90 that measured 8.15 ko. Usually they ohm out under 8. Some vintage P90 measure 7.3ko. All my new P90s measure 8.1 to 8.15ko. That one seems to have modern resistance reading.
You really want to make sure that P90 is original. Are those Gibby pots? I can't see any nomenclature on them.
Did that really come originally with bumble bees? Really?

No you aren't being paranoid.

Last edited:

capnjim

Reaction score
Thanks guys!. 6500$ is definitely too much to spend and have doubts. he won't go lower.
I'll wait for an ugly beater for 5k. I don't really mind busted headstocks and changed pickups, I just want a beautiful old finish well played Gibson. There was one on reverb in Canada for 4k and it was beat to hell, but I really liked it.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Looks like new solder.
I'd be suspicious of a 60yo P90 that measured 8.15 ko. Usually they ohm out under 8. Some vintage P90 measure 7.3ko. All my new P90s measure 8.1 to 8.15ko. That one seems to have modern resistance reading.
You really want to make sure that P90 is original. Are those Gibby pots? I can't see any nomenclature on them.

My '56 Jr. has a Bumblebee cap, and the pots would have markings along the sides of the pot.
Al

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Good luck on Gibson LP hunting from a fellow Canuck:fingersx:

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If the price is right, why not bring in one from the US? 2 of my Les Pauls came from the States.

yamariv

Reaction score
Looks like new solder.

Sorry but this info is just inaccurate and posts like these cause unnecessary doubt in the and spread misinformation.. I am writing this not to argue, just to dispel the inaccurate information others may be reading as fact in the future..

Yes, Junior's came with a bumble bee caps starting in 1956 on up to 1960..some even in late 1955, earlier than that would have a Grey Tiger cap. Those Pots are easy to tell that they are correct vintage Centralabs which are also correct for that year of Junior. Any earlier and you would be looking at IRC Pots that Gibson started phasing out in around 1955. Centralabs are the only Pots that have that metal stripped character from the metal stamping process like you see in the pics. The pot date codes on Centralabs and IRC are found on the side of the pots, not the Tops like you are used to seeing with the later CTS's pots in the 60's. To me, the solder looks absolutely original.. Solder can still remain nice and shiny from the factory even 60 years later under the right climates..

As for the P90, yes some 50's P90's were above 8k ohms, especially in that later parts of the 50's. My 60 Junior with all original untouched wiring reads above 8k..My 1954 P90 reads 7.2 but they steadily rise as the decade closes.

Anyway, I researched Juniors like a madman for a year before I found mine and once you see several stock cavities and original wiring/ pickups you start to be able to tell pretty quickly what is legit and what is not. There are always exceptions to the "Gibson Rules" but this is the info I have learnt from my research.

OP, I know you are passing on this one but the wiring looks completely untouched and legit. If you can get a pic of the underside of the P90 I should be able to confirm if it's also legit for you.. Have you confirmed that it doesn't have a large neck, I know you didn't like the large neck on your other Junior and 57's are "usually" big necks..