Does the Orange Micro Terror get the Orange sound?

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
There is a Micro Terror for sale locally for a great price and I'm tempted. I already have a DSL40C and a Blackstar HT-5RH that cover my crunchy rock needs well. But if the Micro Terror got reasonably close to the classic Orange sound, it might be worth adding to the arsenal. As cheap as an Orange style pedal. Any MT owners have an opinion on this? Hard to tell from Youtube vids.

mdubya

Reaction score
What is the classic Orange tone?

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
It's sort of you know it when you hear it, but hard to describe. A little darker, a little rougher around the edges.

sk8rat

Reaction score
I played a micro terror and a bigger orange tube combo (dont remember what model) and the micro terror sounded just as good imo. nice fizzy orange gain.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
What's the price on the MT you're looking at?

I'll tell you what.... I'll send you mine. I'll pay shipping. In like-new condition, with the original box. If you like it, buy it from me.

Don't like it, box it up ship it back.

EDIT: don't take this to mean I don't like my MT....I do like it. But it sees no use now that I have a Soul Tramp.

Let me find a thread that will help.... BRB
Thanks for the generous offer, but I'm in Canada so it probably wouldn't be worth it for you or me.

The person is asking $100 CDN which is the equivalent of $80 US. Like new. And I think I could get it for less. Cheap enough to take a chance, just not sure I need it if it doesn't bring anything different to the table. GAS is saying YES, logic is saying maybe. lol

Burst Boy

Reaction score
I have a Micro Terror, Dark Terror, OR15 and CR60. Yes, IMO, the Micro Terror is very Orange, but a different orange flavour compared to the other Oranges. It has the low-mid thing going for it and sounds very juicy.

ktj

Reaction score
for $100...snag it! well worth it at that price and if you don't like it, I'm sure you can flip it and get more than $100 for it.
I've had mine for a few years now, and while I've never played other orange amps, I do love my MT, both through the 2 x8" cabs as well as what I now primarily play it through my Orange closed back 2x12. At the least it's a great second amp for less than an overdrive pedal.
I'd suggest watching the Chappers & Captain lee video on the Micro Terror, it's what I'd watched when looking at a used 6505 (which ended up being sold) and they had this with two cabs for $200 ...this was 5 or 6 years ago.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I think the Micro Terror will sound like an Orange amp. Today's Orange amps seem to have an emphasis on the low mids; making them sound a bit darker than VOX or Marshall. If they have the Orange tone of yore, than you have to find a 70's Orange head and cab to make a comparison.

I have an Orange Micro Dark (hybrid) and this past month, added a Dark Terror (tube) head. I like them both for their clear, articulate and gain sounds. Both heads, although of different design from each other) can get some warm tones. The Dark Terror, once it's tubes get sufficiently warmed up, can really get great clean tones. It has the edge in that category over the Micro Dark. Both amps are really not all about high gain playing.

Classicplayer

Last edited:

kiko

Reaction score
Yes it does sound like an Orange amp, thick and rough. It nice but I quickly got "tired" of it and sold mine. Best used with 12 inch speakers. This is just my opinion :cool2:

Tobin1634

Reaction score
glad you are getting. I really liked the tone, but I was really looking for a less loud "practice" amp and this one just didn't go that low! I ended up spending a ton more and got an OR15 and it's glorious!

Latest Threads