Does the LP Special Tribute have weight relief?

Sirstringalot

Reaction score
Just picked one up and it's exactly 9 pounds a little heavier than I expected for a slab body. Went to Gibsons website and didn't see any info on weight relief under specs . Anyone know? Just curious. Thanks

ARandall

Reaction score
If its a slab body then you are seeing all surfaces of the wood blank it was made from.

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's just a dense slab of mahogany.

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dense wood 'suppose. But that does seem a might heavy
for a slab. I learn something new every day here.

Its not the model, its the wood and density as far as I can figure.
Possible some luthiers here can help out...

efstop

Wattsamatta U graduate
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Special doesn't have a cap, so there's not even 9-hole relief, and it is, after all, a full LP mahogany slab.
I have a 2013 Tribute that has a 1/4" thinner slab than a Standard, and even with 9-hole relief, it's still 9.2 lbs. The lower end LPs get the denser wood, generally.

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Custom Shop LP Special that must weigh more than an LP Traditional.

Last edited:

Sirstringalot

Reaction score
A Special doesn't have a cap, so there's not even 9-hole relief, and it is, after all, a full LP mahogany slab.
I have a 2013 Tribute that has a 1/4" thinner slab than a Standard, and even with 9-hole relief, it's still 9.2 lbs. The lower end LPs get the denser wood, generally.
QUOTE "The lower end LPs get the denser wood, generally".
interesting maybe that's why Mick Taylor says he always picks the lightest LP's when choosing.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was at Hollywood GC in the vintage room. Picked up two 1958 Telecasters. One weighed about a typical 7 lbs.

The other was well over 10. a huge difference between two identical models of the same year.

Point being, there are going to be differences in weight and maybe a few other things, even between the same model and year. Wood is wood, and thre are sometimes vast differences in density and weight.

Latest Threads