Does the Ibanez Artist have a Les Paul tone?

zontar

Reaction score
That's what I was thinking.
Although rosewood or walnut may look better on my Iceman.

teleman

Reaction score
My experience is that some Artists will get closer to a Lester than others.
I still have my '82 AR100PW and it is close enough for me. It weighs more and has a sustain block that changes the tone but it still sings. Comparing an Ibanez Artist(mahogany with maple cap)to a Lester is like comparing Placido Domingo to Jose Carreras. They're both great.

Andresound

Reaction score
6EA2BFB5-FA7D-488E-BB98-7EEF830E1347.jpeg
I have a AR1500 CUSTOM from 1983. Absolute killer guitar. Mahogany back, maple cap and ebony board. Pups read 7.3k. Extremely well made!

luis

Reaction score
They are not 100% Les Paul thick sound but close and are very versatile with tri-sound system. Have a fast neck ans good sounding pickups (on the trble sounding side). I have a friend playing bossa nova style songs and rock''roll as well. No worries.

They are heavy however, about 4,5 kg. for a double cut guitar.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is NO Lester tone... There are GILLIONS of Lester tones. Just is.

Lester Tone is more thick ass hog slab with a thick maple flapjack glued on top, butter it up with humbuckers and you will have one of the gillion Lester tones...

Any guitar with that general kind of mass/construction is gonna have Lester Tone....one of em...

A thick heavy Artist will give you Lester Tone. A freaking ZimGar built like a Lester will give you Lester Tone...

Lester Tone has not a damn thing to do with single or dbl cut or the Gibson name on the head...

Find someone that has an old dbl cut Hamer from the Paul/Joe days... Guild Bluesbird... The dumb looking (my opinion damnit) flag Hamers... Early Deans, Grovers... Moonstone.... Burny... Nav... Tokai...Edw... Greco...Aria... Tons of Uncle Mats under any given name one could dream up....

There are countless Lester Tone guitars... Lester Tone is NOT NOT NOT NOT a Gibson exclusive.

Play em. Might be surprised when yo mouf blurts out 'horey shrit'....

I love all my guitars, especially my Lesters, BUT, I love each for what they are....NOT the name on it...

As far as the Ibanez, jump on it. They are great guitars. Sold Ibanez waaaaaay back from when they copied everything under the sun to doing their own thing. Funny thing. The copies were 'usually' as good if not better than the originals. That is NOT from reading, hearing someone say it, it is from wrapping my hands around a lot of Ibanez necks...

I still kick myself for selling an Artist I had way back...

If I could go back, I'd take a couple Artists and a few Weir Artists home from the shop and slide the Weirs under the bed till about NOW... I could sell a mint Weir every now and then and buy some serious shit...

Anybody that thinks Ibanez is junk or not ready for prime time is an idiot....

fleahead

Reaction score
Prototype 1975 Ibanez Artist 2618. From the '76 Chicago NAMM show. This and a few more had the Gibson tailpiece before they switched to a different design of their own. This doesn't show it in my only photo but the antique violin finish was the prettiest I've seen to date. I sold it to some guy who I'm told later butchered it.

23172459_185968538631745_434892862233722419_n.jpg

zeneffect

Reaction score
Get an Eddie and have $$$ left over for whatever you desire! Won't break the bank and I'd put it up against a new standard any day in terms of tone, feel and quality of finish

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
I love them but they're no Les Paul. One day I'd like an AR300. If you want old-style Les Paul tone from that era, go for a Greco or Tokai.

I've come around to my Greco. Despite it not being quite as good as my Edwards, it's sort of grown attached to me. The edwards is too perfect. I was considering selling the greco earlier this week but every time I play it, it's just got mojo. I've never played an original 50s Les Paul but it's what I imagine it to be like; not perfect, just special.

Here's mine: https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop5088/DS04245929/

And here's one from the exact same year: https://www.digimart.net/cat01/shop70/DS04043809/

1982 is a great year because it's the 'transition year', where the EGF 'Super Real' and EG 'Mint Collection' clash with features. They have fret edge binding and long neck tenons. The 850 and above have nitro finish, with a veneer. I think its not til 1200 or 1500 til you get solid.

1200 is probably the model I'd want as they come with Dry Z pickups but they're almost twice the price of 850s. At that price I think I'd just retrofit Dry Zs or ThroBaks.

EDIT: My god this thread is old. I didn't even realise this was posted in 2008 before I gave the advice.

Last edited:

Travis19

Reaction score
* My most important criteria is nailing the Les Paul tone. (I simply cannot afford $2500 to buy a Gibson)
I have no experience with the Ibanez, but with a little patience and friendly haggling you could probably find a Les Paul Traditional for close to your price. I had a 2013 Traditional that played nearly identical to my two R8s. I can't remember what I paid exactly but it was certainly under 1500.

You could also go with Heritage, here's a beauty currently listed on this site:
http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/the-heritage-h150-black-tan-p90s-price-drop.402631/
I own a Heritage as well and love it!

* I'd kinda like to have something vintage and unique. The Ibanez Artist's build in the late 70's and early 80's satisfy that criteria.
Again, an 80's Heritage could be found for close to your price with a little diligence, and it certainly falls under the unique category...and made at the original Gibson Kalamazoo plant to boot!

Good luck, I'm looking forward to seeing your NGD thread once you've made your decision.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
I love them but they're no Les Paul. One day I'd like an AR300. If you want old-style Les Paul tone from that era, go for a Greco or Tokai.

I've come around to my Greco. Despite it not being quite as good as my Edwards, it's sort of grown attached to me. The edwards is too perfect. I was considering selling the greco earlier this week but every time I play it, it's just got mojo. I've never played an original 50s Les Paul but it's what I imagine it to be like; not perfect, just special.
My EGF850 already had serious body tone (with my old Double Tricks in it), but rewiring the pots to '50s wiring spec has finished the job. Check yours :cool2:

Travis19

Reaction score
Lester Tone is more thick ass hog slab with a thick maple flapjack glued on top, butter it up with humbuckers and you will have one of the gillion Lester tones...

Any guitar with that general kind of mass/construction is gonna have Lester Tone....one of em...

... Guild Bluesbird...
Ya know, I've always been curious about the Bluesbird. I own a Guild Starfire III that is a hands-down smokin' guitar. Guilds are fantastic, that's a great recommendation.

I wouldn't rule out an SG either, there are plenty of '61 reissues to be had in the 1200 price range and they're great guitars as well, with a similar over-all tone in my opinion.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I have 3 Artist. (81 AR100, 84 AR100, and a 05 AR200) The ones from the 80's are rightfully labeled "Paul killers." Tonally, with the V2, my 81 NAILS the Lester tone easily, and plays almost as well as my 81 Paul Custom. The 84, with the super 70's I think, is a hair bit brighter then the others, and still plays as well as the other. The modern one...... if you see it cheap, get it, and I mean in the $300 range. Otherwise, spend the money for the vintage ones. Both the 81 and 84 were around the $600 mark.

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
Old artists are great. The super 80s flying fingers pickups are my favorite. I have them in a 2618. It is easy to get les paul tones by cutting the tone back.

horand

Reaction score
d30fb2a7-f587-40dc-9c89-404f8ef191b2_zpszgthyqj9.JPG

I don´t think my Artist (´78 - 2619) sounds like a les paul, it´s great in its own way - but no les paul in my ears.

PAPADON

Reaction score
I've got a Les Paul with Gibson Alnico II 490 series pickups and a vintage Ibanez Artist AM205 with the original Alnico II Super 58's. I think the older Super 58's do Les Paul tone very well. In fact perhaps better. On the other hand I've got a new Ibanez AR325 with Alnico V Super 58's that are very good pickups but a lot brighter. Forget about vintage vs new, wood type and everything else except pickups and amp. That's where the tone is controlled.

83 Ibanez Artist AM205

New Ibanez Artist AR325

Uncle Remus

Reaction score
Hoping to grab this tomorrow. Guy says he has a buyer coming tomorrow, but will let me know if he shows. Here's to hoping like so many times that a craigslister is blowing smoke up this guys arse.
Screenshot_20180119-133903.jpg

PAPADON

Reaction score
Best of luck. Hope you get it.
Thanks, I have a feeling the guy is waiting on other offers. I know my local market, no one will even know what it is.
I'm sure you're right about people not knowing what it is. You're lucky I'm not in your area. I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. I can remember back in the day wanting one of those "tree of life" models so bad I could almost taste it.:cheers:

Latest Threads