Does the '57 Junior specs change yearly like the R#'s?

sonar

Reaction score
Seems like every year the CS likes to change things up with the R# Standards. Does the Junior get the same changes, like the removal of the truss rod condom, hide glue or whatever the current recipe includes/excludes?

tweedman2001

Reaction score
I've been wondering this myself as I'm currently looking for a Jr. Good information to know I hope.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think there has been a Junior or Special Reissue since 2012 before the big changes hit.

tweedman2001

Reaction score
I don't think there has been a Junior or Special Reissue since 2012 before the big changes hit.

Ok, But before that were there any changes over the years? Some years more desirable than others?

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, But before that were there any changes over the years? Some years more desirable than others?
At least in 2012 it had all of the latest features that applied to it. Long neck tenon, VOS or gloss, CTS pots, bumble caps, aluminum bridge. Working backwards I don't really know at what point it was less historically accurate than that. Hopefully whenever they make it again it will have the latest updates.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I think Standards get preferred treatment. I say that because my R7 Custom, '68RI, and Junior (all 2010s) came with fat/round necks and corian nuts. Those were supposed to be 2009 changes.

Of course, you could always just call/email Gibson and ask them.

tweedman2001

Reaction score
Currently looking at a 2001 57 Historic Jr. Anyone know if there's much difference between it and a newer one, before I contact Gibson?

LPB-7

Reaction score

The Gibson Custom Shop will make a '57 Junior as a special order only (including Specials '60) They stopped production and the last year they made them was in 2012. If you do find any 2013's they were special orders and they aren't cheap. Yes, all 2013 custom shops have all of the specs, including the Juniors.

I tried to order one at the beginning of last year and I found out the bad news that they're no longer on the custom shop pricing sheet and it's a special order only. I really wish that Gibson would start production again or give some more information on the Gibson website. For 2014, they're not on the list either.

StubbyJ

Reaction score
Whoever put the blurb together for Gibson on the LP Junior needs an arse-kicking! It says it first came out in 1955!!! :shock: :hmm: :wow:
Cm'on, you are asking a great deal; what in the hell would Gibson know about, Gibson.

JMB1984

Premium Member
Reaction score
That link doesn't look recent and it doesn't fall under the 2014 guitars. It falls under 2013, but so does the 3pickup Black Beauty with Burstbuckers, which wasn't made then either. It's almost as if Gibson is trying to give the impression to the unknowing public that all the iconic models are going strong. Their site is always messed up though so who knows what us going on there.

Like LPB-7 mention, there wasn't a "run" of juniors. I don't even remember seeing any of the big online dealers having since 12, but it's cool if there were special orders at least.