Does owning a great model of a guitar make you want a second one?

rykus

Reaction score
When I got my first real Les Paul it was an awesome 1969 Custom that sounded and played so well i never thought about getting another till it got worth too much to take out...

Then I got the burst reissue bug!

spent 5 years buying various Les Paul's and always hunting out another killer flame top. Always wanted a bunch of other guitars but every time I had 3 cents to run together I would be going in debt buying another burst.

Had a tragic incident and lost all my old guitars in a fire so i took some time off playing and just got back to normal a bit.

When i started playing again i new i wanted a really light big neck les paul like my old custom, and i found a really killer goldtop made by ex forum member singlecut (rip) that is just mind bogglingly good and probably in the top few guitars I have ever played, put all the salvageable parts from my old custom on her too...

I really "want" to get another killer top burst style Les Paul, but every time I save up now I find I'm buying amps or other guitars I've always kind of wanted(mostly amps lol)

Are there any guitars you've bought where you had to go get another, or any that made you reconsider owning redundant sisters?

Let's hear some stories!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup,..., and a 3rd.... and a 4th.... and a

Yeah it’s a sickness..... if you got the money it will never end.

Cigarette companies use the wood shavings of fine guitars to make their cigarettes so addictive...... duh!

D9563DD7-DCF0-42E9-8EE3-49CA149D4E1B.jpeg

mjross

Reaction score
I’m REALLY GUILTY when it comes to Steinbergers! I can’t quit buying them.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two LPs, but I hadn't planned on buying the second one; it was a lucky find. They are of different construction. One is a Tribute with a mahogany neck and (originally) P-90s, the LP Melody Maker has a thinner body, maple neck and slug P-90s.

I got the bug to buy my first Tele after seeing photos of a white '58 RI, something I couldn't afford. I bought a 2015 MIM Standard Tele in Arctic White, changed the guard to a 5-hole and swapped out the bridge plate and six saddles for an honest-to-Leo ashtray plate and three brass saddles. Not quite '50s with a 9 1/2" radius neck and '70s style logo.

But then...

Fender released the Vintera series, and I had a Tele that looked '50s all over. Maybe they didn't come in Sonic Blue back then, but I put a black guard on it and it looks very 1954, with a proper fat neck, safety post tuners and a '50s logo. And an ashtray cover.

So far, two LPs, two Teles. So about my Steinberger Spirits... I bought the guitar mid 2020, and in late fall, I decided I needed the matching bass.

All the rest of my guitars are single units, no multiples.

Prospector

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, and with certain hand wired amps too....

Reactions: JMP

judson

Reaction score
at most stores , dont know why but it seems like 90% of all purchases, i buy two of whatever i get....

guitars i dont....i buy one at a time but do it waaaaay to often... :dunno:

one of these days i hope to start selling ....one at a time,

hey dont laugh ...it could happen :rofl:

CattleDog

Reaction score
It took me a while to get over the hump of ‘why do I need a second one of these’ but then one day I figured it’s kind of like clothes - t shits are t shirts but sometimes you want to wear that beat Led Zeppelin shirt and sometimes it’s a solid color t shirt. Variety is a great thing!

Injector

Reaction score
I'm good with just one strat, one 335 and one acoustic....but when it comes to LPs I have to have a Custom, an R7, an R8, a Special and a good old USA Standard. My next purchase will be the R7 and then I've got all the LPs I need.

kakerlak

Reaction score
This is a really great question. I have a bunch of thoughts about this that I need to think through and try to put into words tomorrow. There's some sort of distinction to be made between great and exceptional and then cool/rare factor plays into it, to some degree, a definition of "sameness" needs established (e.g. are identical Fenders with RW vs maple necks "the same guitar" or LPs with humbuckers vs P-90s, etc.). Probably worth making a distinction between lust and obsession, too.

I have lucked into a few guitars the last few years that are more than keepers; they tempt me to sell off others.

boola1

Reaction score
When I got my first real Les Paul it was an awesome 1969 Custom that sounded and played so well i never thought about getting another till it got worth too much to take out...

Then I got the burst reissue bug!

spent 5 years buying various Les Paul's and always hunting out another killer flame top. Always wanted a bunch of other guitars but every time I had 3 cents to run together I would be going in debt buying another burst.

Had a tragic incident and lost all my old guitars in a fire so i took some time off playing and just got back to normal a bit.

When i started playing again i new i wanted a really light big neck les paul like my old custom, and i found a really killer goldtop made by ex forum member singlecut (rip) that is just mind bogglingly good and probably in the top few guitars I have ever played, put all the salvageable parts from my old custom on her too...

I really "want" to get another killer top burst style Les Paul, but every time I save up now I find I'm buying amps or other guitars I've always kind of wanted(mostly amps lol)

Are there any guitars you've bought where you had to go get another, or any that made you reconsider owning redundant sisters?

Let's hear some stories!
OMG very sorry to hear about the fire, that's is one of my worst nightmares.

I've only bought more Les Pauls or Historics to see if I can find a better one.

I've never owned more than 1 or 2. I don't have the money or space to keep guitars that I don't play lying around, especially Historics.

If you had a couple of redundant Historics 10 years ago worth ~$4000, sold them and put the money in a US tracker fund, you'd have ~$20000 today.

Latest Threads