Does my 94 les paul classic have a 500T bridge?

nickfox

Reaction score
I know that they came with the 500T but I'm not totally sure that it is one. I pulled the back cover and measured the resistance and got the following:

bridge: 14.7k
neck: 8.4K

Here is my guitar and you can read the description at the bottom. The seller says that it was a 498T/490R but I'm not sure it's correct. Is there a definitive way to determine which it is?

thanks
n

pedecamp

Reaction score
I know that they came with the 500T but I'm not totally sure that it is one. I pulled the back cover and measured the resistance and got the following:

bridge: 14.7k
neck: 8.4K

Here is my guitar and you can read the description at the bottom. The seller says that it was a 498T/490R but I'm not sure it's correct. Is there a definitive way to determine which it is?

thanks
n
Just measured mine 500 15k and 496 8.5k. The 498 will have lots of midrange compared to the 500, whats yours sound like?

Last edited:

jbash

Reaction score
Depending on temperature or how much the pickup was was handled, 14.7 is not out of bounds for a 500T on a multimeter and would be really high for 498T. Easiest way to tell visually is the ceramic mags- I forgot that the 500T has 3 of the buggers..2 on the sides, one normally. 498T has one mag (alnicoV)

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I hate to rain on your parade, but you do realize that your guitar is backwards don't you?

:laugh2:

Love the color of the binding.

nickfox

Reaction score
Just measured mine 500 15k and 496 8.5k. The 498 will have lots of midrange compared to the 500, whats yours sound like?
The guitar sounds wonderful and pretty mid-rangey. I usually have the mids turned up high on my marshalls. I use a beano boost treble booster into the crunch channel of my DSL40CR with the gain and volume at 12 o'clock and the master volume between 12 and 2 o'clock and it just roars.

My favorite guitar tone of all time is the tone in the song "Up to my neck in you" on the AC/DC Powerage album. And that's what I'm always aiming for. This guitar delivers it in spades.

I hate to rain on your parade, but you do realize that your guitar is backwards don't you?

:laugh2:

Love the color of the binding.
Thanks. She's a beauty. Yes, it is backwards. But I'm proud to be backwards like Jimi. I have a story to tell, in 1989 I bought a standard American strat from the hollywood guitar center. I couldn't afford a les paul.

But in all honesty, the only thing I ever wanted was a les paul and a marshall. Well, after waiting all these years, I finally had the resources to get a les paul and I found this one. I had been looking for one for about 3 years. So I bought it, and the very next day, a 2017 les paul classic with 57/57+ pickups came up for sale in the classifieds. So I bought that one too. And I told myself I would figure out which one I liked best and sell the other.

You guys already know the end of this story. I have two les pauls now. But they really are 2 different instruments and I love them both. (and I still love my old strat, she's been with me for 31 years now).

n

Tone deaf

Reaction score
The guitar sounds wonderful and pretty mid-rangey. I usually have the mids turned up high on my marshalls. I use a beano boost treble booster into the crunch channel of my DSL40CR with the gain and volume at 12 o'clock and the master volume between 12 and 2 o'clock and it just roars.

My favorite guitar tone of all time is the tone in the song "Up to my neck in you" on the AC/DC Powerage album. And that's what I'm always aiming for. This guitar delivers it in spades.

Thanks. She's a beauty. Yes, it is backwards. But I'm proud to be backwards like Jimi. I have a story to tell, in 1989 I bought a standard American strat from the hollywood guitar center. I couldn't afford a les paul.

But in all honesty, the only thing I ever wanted was a les paul and a marshall. Well, after waiting all these years, I finally had the resources to get a les paul and I found this one. I had been looking for one for about 3 years. So I bought it, and the very next day, a 2017 les paul classic with 57/57+ pickups came up for sale in the classifieds. So I bought that one too. And I told myself I would figure out which one I liked best and sell the other.

You guys already know the end of this story. I have two les pauls now. But they really are 2 different instruments and I love them both. (and I still love my old strat, she's been with me for 31 years now).

n
Drop the pedal out of the loop and drive the amp until you get that for which you search.*

* With the DSL40 you might want to clear the house, first.

nickfox

Reaction score
Drop the pedal out of the loop and drive the amp until you get that for which you search.*

* With the DSL40 you might want to clear the house, first.
I do like playing it plugged in straight to the amp, when I do, it's always the OD1 channel that I like. But I am true lover of treble boosters. I just adore that sound. That really is MY tone. And I would say that most of time it's the only pedal I use.

My DSL40CR lives in my bedroom and I play in my living room with the door open. On occasion I walk into the bedroom to listen but not often...

n

EDIT: @pedecamp , I know you!

Last edited:

pedecamp

Reaction score
I do like playing it plugged in straight to the amp, when I do, it's always the OD1 channel that I like. But I am true lover of treble boosters. I just adore that sound. That really is MY tone. And I would say that most of time it's the only pedal I use.

My DSL40CR lives in my bedroom and I play in my living room with the door open. On occasion I walk into the bedroom to listen but not often...

n

EDIT: @pedecamp , I know you!
Whats up buddy! Nice guitars you got there. :yesway:

AJK1

Reaction score

n
Have you ever considered installing some ‘Angus like’ pickups in her ?

nickfox

Reaction score
Whats up buddy! Nice guitars you got there. :yesway:
Doing alright. Just dorkin' around with my guitars as usual. :)

Have you ever considered installing some ‘Angus like’ pickups in her ?
I actually prefer Malcolm's tone. I know about his guitar and the filtertron. I'm really happy with the tone I get out of the 500T. With my marshall and treble booster I think I get pretty close. The only other pickup that I have interest in is a vintage super distortion. Kind of looking for one.

I'm still trying to visually identify this pickup. I pulled it out just to have a look at it but couldn't tell the difference between my alnicos and this one.

In the cavity of the guitar, I can see some writing under the varnish. It looks like

JP CSL
10-5

Can you guys point out anything to me that would visually identify the pickup as ceramic? I didn't want to pull back the tape since it's in such nice condition.

n

IMG_20200716_025137.jpg
IMG_20200716_025153.jpg

pedecamp

Reaction score
Doing alright. Just dorkin' around with my guitars as usual. :)

I actually prefer Malcolm's tone. I know about his guitar and the filtertron. I'm really happy with the tone I get out of the 500T. With my marshall and treble booster I think I get pretty close. The only other pickup that I have interest in is a vintage super distortion. Kind of looking for one.

I'm still trying to visually identify this pickup. I pulled it out just to have a look at it but couldn't tell the difference between my alnicos and this one.

In the cavity of the guitar, I can see some writing under the varnish. It looks like

JP CSL
10-5

Can you guys point out anything to me that would visually identify the pickup as ceramic? I didn't want to pull back the tape since it's in such nice condition.

n

View attachment 475942View attachment 475943
Without dissecting it youre gonna have to go by meter measurements and sound, your measurements are right on with 500 and 496. A 498 would read closer to 11k maybe? I tried to take a peak under the tape of my 500 and the magnet looked like any other magnet as far as I could tell.

nickfox

Reaction score
Without dissecting it youre gonna have to go by meter measurements and sound, your measurements are right on with 500 and 496. A 498 would read closer to 11k maybe? I tried to take a peak under the tape of my 500 and the magnet looked like any other magnet as far as I could tell.
It's not a terribly big deal. More curiosity than anything. I've heard rumors that with my 94 classic, which is one the 1960s reissues, gibson built the 500T to "compete" or mimic all the super distortions that people put in their les pauls in the 70s. Is there any truth to that?

Even when I just talk about swapping out my 500T for a super distortion, I feel like I'm cheating behind her back or something. Am I too involved with my guitar??

n

Last edited:

pedecamp

Reaction score
It's not a terribly big deal. More curiosity than anything. I've heard rumors that with my 94 classic, which is one the 1960s reissues, gibson built the 500T to "compete" or mimic all the super distortions that people put in their les pauls in the 70s. Is there any truth to that?

Even when I just talk about swapping out my 500T for a super distortion, I feel like I'm cheating behind her back or something. Am I too involved with my guitar??

n
Theres probably some truth in that story they are both hot pickups. You inspired me to install them in my black LP today so I can remember what they sound like, I'm glad I did I really like them! :yesway:

nickfox

Reaction score
Theres probably some truth in that story they are both hot pickups. You inspired me to install them in my black LP today so I can remember what they sound like, I'm glad I did I really like them! :yesway:
Very cool. Are those the old unpotted ones or the newer ones? Can you tell the difference?

n

Latest Threads