Does It Matter What Day Of The Week Your Gibson Les Paul Was Made On?

Bobby Burrows

Banned
Reaction score
I think I've got 2 Wednesday guitars.

Ever heard this?

That depending what day of the week your guitar was built, the better it'll be?
Monday you don't want because Gibson factory workers are still hung over from the weekend, Friday guitars you don't want because everyone's eager in a rush to get the job done for the weekend, but Wednesday guitars, the pick of the crop right, everyone's in their stride, they're not thinking about the weekend, it's the middle of the week, they're in the zone on a Wednesday.

My Gibsons are fucking amazing, and, I've played on my fair share of high end Gibson Les Pauls right, enough to know that, some guitars I like, some guitars I love; and every Gibson I've gone home with, has been love at first play.
I think I've got 2 Wednesday guitars. lol

Is this real or as I suspect, some old wife's tale when the stars align and everything comes together right and Gibson knock them out of the park on Wednesday.

Last edited:

frozenotter

?
Platinum Supporter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
I think it depends lot on integrity. Most Americans probably don't even know what that word means these days. Sadly your theory aligns with modern mentality; however as Gibson proves, quality can lack most likely any day of the week.

Juan Wayne

Reaction score
All you get is the date the neck was stamped. That says nothing about the guitar's process itself.

So as much as there's some truth that in general, regular people don't work the same every day of the week, Gibsons take several weeks to make, so you may get Friday electronics on a Monday bound guitar that was painted on a Thursday, with a Tuesday neck. It means nothing.

Besides, even if they were made in one single day, you gotta throw in @somebodyelseuk's wildcard in. Give ME that thing on a Wednesday and you never know how you'll find me. My drinking is ruled by ancient calendars modern society still can't figure out.

scozz

Reaction score
That’s the old adage first used about cars, no one wanted a car built on Monday or Friday,....Many folks preferred their car being built on a Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday!

I must admit I’ve checked all my Gibsons and they have all been built on those 3 middle days,...well at least the necks were stamped on those days!! :rofl:

Last edited:

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
No.

The guitar can not be built in one day.

It's just the stamp on the headstock....

Todays serials don't even reflect what day it was stamped.

Historics never have.

Inspection cards only reflect the day it was inspected.

You can maybe narrow it down to a month,.... are there good and bad months?.... odd or even weeks?..... Full Moon maybe?.........

Last edited:

jvin248

Reaction score

Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall produces different humidity levels and guitar tuning stability/performance.

Guitar buying is like stock buying: “October: This is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and February.” ― Mark Twain, Pudd'nhead Wilson

Day of the month is a problem -- worries about rent due, no cash for the weekend party, coasting days ... payday vs non-payday week.

Snow day, huge rainstorm, too hot outside day, sick days...

List of holidays (if worried about Friday/Monday ... what about before after a holiday?)

I have noticed tuning stability for Asia import guitars built in the humid summers vs dry winters. The summer-built guitars get all squirrelly in the dry winter.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
Never buy a guitar made on Wednesday.

It's Hump Day, and their mind is elsewhere. Everyone walking around saying, "What day is it!?"

HUMP DAY!

moreles

Reaction score
They make the whole guitar in a day?

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to burst your bubble, but serials are stamped on rough necks, days before the guitar it's being completely finished and assembled.

You can have the neck/headstock stamped on monday, and guitar finished on friday, and then hardware and final check on next Thursday....

:)

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
Reminds me of the "Third Album" theory: A band's best expression of its true self comes out in its third album.

The debut album is built around whatever first impressed the suits enough to get the recording contract. Often a gimmick or particular sound that has limited mileage in it.

The second album is burdened by the hangover of breakthrough success and lofty expectations of a follow-up. Often sounds contrived or suffers from the aforementioned gimmick finally running out of road.

By the third album, the band has lost all its fake fans and run out of ways to milk that initial gimmick. What comes out then is real, for better or worse.