Does Gibson build guitars with Brazilian Rosewood boards anymore?

mjross

Reaction score
I’ve been doing a little research and it appears that Gibson Les Pauls with Brazilian boards are difficult to find. Did they stop because of legal issues or are they just special order. I see some manufacturers still appear to offer Brazilian boards.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Select retailers can still get Braz boards through the M2M program, though I don't think it's something they can advertise and it's almost comically expensive.

The last Braz run from the factory was a few years ago, I believe, maybe 2019? One-offs still pop up (I've seen some Murphy Lab Braz), but I believe that was the last time they were done in numbers. I'm sure someone will correct that if it's inaccurate.

goldtop0

Reaction score
As Duane says hellishly expensive and small runs every few years now it seems for specific guitars, mostly LPs but some ML Flying Vs and Explorers recently.
2003 was supposed to be the last of the last but a new owner now and things have opened up dramatically.

calieng

Reaction score
The 2018s were destined for Japan I believe but got hung up with export issues. Dave's Guitars got a bunch of them and sold them here. I have one. Nice guitar.

I think a lefty Brazilian from Gibson is like seeing a leprechaun. You are probably smoking crack and just imagining it.

mjross

Reaction score
The 2018s were destined for Japan I believe but got hung up with export issues. Dave's Guitars got a bunch of them and sold them here. I have one. Nice guitar.

I think a lefty Brazilian from Gibson is like seeing a leprechaun. You are probably smoking crack and just imagining it.
You just may be right! I can tell you all about.

calieng

Reaction score

mjross

Reaction score
I stand corrected. Been gone for 4 years though....

Story of my life! 4 years late and several thousand dollars short. Lol…

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
brazzy boards.:facepalm:

I'll keep my 6 LP reissues with madi boards. Thanks.

Just my opinion, of course.

kingsxman

Reaction score
Buddy and I went to Daves in LaCrosse two years ago as they had a big stash of Braz board Les Pauls. We were both completely unimpressed. Not only where they not very dark, they just didnt seem like good quality. Plus I think it was a 2k upcharge just to add a braz board. Kind of ridiculous IMHO. I think that money would be better spent taking a regular historic and sending it to Historic Makeovers and having them put one on.

Unionjack515

Reaction score
I ordered my M2M about a year ago via Chicago Music Exchange—I asked to spec a Brazilian fretboard and they inquired but it was a no-go…not an option, not even given a crazy price. Said they were out. I have spent a good chunk at CME over the past few years and of course they’re a premier Gibson dealer…I would have expected if any situation had the pull to get a Brazilian board, it would have been this one, had they been available. But alas, no.

That all said, lots of boutique builders have access, some to very nice pieces. Fender Custom Shop still has it, but reserves its use for Master Built guitars.

Life goes on.

Great R8

Reaction score
Brazilian rosewood or old growth Brazilian rosewood?

DEMENTED

Reaction score
The Brazilian upcharge from Gibson is silly. Independent builders get boards for 75-150. Not thousands of dollars.

11top

Reaction score
I had two built approximately 3 years ago in M2M. Gibson custom had approximately 100 boards available and I got to choose from them.

That was the end of the BRW fret board option In M2M. I chose the “blackest” available.

Both are R9s:

The certificates each specify “Brazilian Rosewood Fret Boards.”

Last edited:

Latest Threads