Does GC ship display inventory when ordering New online?

MSB

Reaction score
the majority of what I see on CL is nicer than what's hanging on the wall at my GC. I'd never buy anything from them that wasn't in a sealed box from the factory.

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
the majority of what I see on CL is nicer than what's hanging on the wall at my GC. I'd never buy anything from them that wasn't in a sealed box from the factory.
It’s definitely “buyer, beware” at GC, but as with any other large value/high cost purchase, one should really know what they’re looking at. I’ve snagged some excellent used gear from GC, including my prized and treasured ‘16 Traditional. However, I’ve also made both new and used purchases that I returned in-store (1 guitar that comes to mind just wasn’t right for me, and 1 pedal was badly broken). I‘m comfortable taking a chance on used gear at GC 1) because of their return policy, and 2) because I research the hell out of what I’m buying and I know what to look out for (especially signs of damage). And, truthfully, one has to have realistic expectations when buying used, and also be willing to walk away.

For what it’s worth, I also bought a brand new in-the-original-box-and-never-been-opened-before 2016 LP 50’s Tribute with a short somewhere between the PCB and the output jack. I didn’t care because I’ve always planned on gutting it, ditching the PCB, and doing some custom mods (Kahler!!! :thumb:), but nonetheless, the fact remains that even a 100% brand new Gibson can have problems or defects. :dunno:

freak

Reaction score
If it makes a difference, I am in Northern NJ.
I'm in Northern NJ also. Where are you? I have a great relationship with GC in Totowa. Any guitar I've brought from them, I've brought off the rack.....simply because I'm a firm believer that every guitar is different, and if I pick one up off the wall, or floor, or whatever, and like it enough to buy it, then that's the one I want. GC regularly has coupons for 10-20% off, especially the holidays.
I thought I was told that GC does have a warehouse somewhere....where they get stock sent from on line. I could be wrong.

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Good argument for "go look at it, play it, buy it."
Unfortunately, in this day and age, the vast majority of small shops find it less lucrative to stock used gear -- specifically _because_ people go online because "it's cheaper".

This generates a viscious cycle because:

1. Stores have no used stock to "look at it, play it, buy it"
2. User buys online because store has no used stock
3. Store realizes no one is buying used stock so diminishes used stock even more
4. Repeat ad infinitum

I tried very hard to find used LPs to try on my area. Of the 13 store within 50 miles of me, there were less than 5 used LPs. 4 were over 5k. The other, the clerk had no info whatsoever and said to call back in a few days... Wat?

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
I'm in Northern NJ also. Where are you? I have a great relationship with GC in Totowa. Any guitar I've brought from them, I've brought off the rack.....simply because I'm a firm believer that every guitar is different, and if I pick one up off the wall, or floor, or whatever, and like it enough to buy it, then that's the one I want. GC regularly has coupons for 10-20% off, especially the holidays.
I thought I was told that GC does have a warehouse somewhere....where they get stock sent from on line. I could be wrong.
Totowa is my closest GC, too. That's where I went multiple times to try their LPs.

The did have a 2018 in the first few days I went but then it sold (online no less). I agree that their wall models are usually bin great shape. This is part of the reason I opted to order GC online. It seems like Pittsburgh has lower standards, though. Perhaps because they are busier in a larger city.

freak

Reaction score
Totowa is my closest GC, too. That's where I went multiple times to try their LPs.

The did have a 2018 in the first few days I went but then it sold (online no less). I agree that their wall models are usually bin great shape. This is part of the reason I opted to order GC online. It seems like Pittsburgh has lower standards, though. Perhaps because they are busier in a larger city.

They have a 2012 traditional in desert burst right now. I was actually there when the guy traded it in......They sometimes stick some quality used stuff in the platinum room. Have you looked in there?

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Yep, spent most of my time there. That's where the 2018 Standard used was. I'm pretty set on the blood orange -- could be swayed by the cherry burst but red guitars are my modus operandi.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Premium Member
Reaction score
"New" means never sold. "New, unused condition" means something else. The GC near me.... all of the Gibsons are high on the wall, out of reach of the unwashed masses. They look to be in perfect condition. Maybe you'll get a good one. I disagree that a floor model should be automatically discounted. Just because a few people played it doesn't mean its not in mint condition. If there are issues than that's a different story.
:lol:

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Hey all, sorry to raise this old thread but I wanted to give an update.

As mentioned, after I returned the LP from GC, I placed an order on Reverb from a reputable (> 1500 positive reviews) seller. Unfortunately, I had to travel and it was delivered at 6pm the night before I had to jump on a plane at 3am. I played it for a few minutes then put it away. It felt good but I didn't have the time to really look it over.

I finally got back late Friday and took a closer look. Twisted neck, replacement knob. I have to send it back to. Seller was understanding and accepted the return request and covered return shipping.

Pics of the reverb guitar: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7JitE6CtM7peryL16

I followed up with a guy in a town near me who had one. Sick and tired of the online ordering ordeals (2 failures so far), I went to take a look this morning. It felt good and sounded good. The top of the Reverb one is nicer than this one, but I came home with it! Since I was actually able to look this one over in person, rather than by proxy through pics, I was sure of its condition.

I've been playing it all day and I'm a happy camper. I'm still on the lookout for that wine red early 90s or early 00s custom... but for now, this'll do juuuust fine. Pics to come!

tache3

Reaction score
I played it for a few minutes then put it away
But you said on your other thread that you spent a few hours with it.

I followed up with a guy in a town near me who had one. Sick and tired of the online ordering ordeals (2 failures so far), I went to take a look this morning. It felt good and sounded good. The top of the Reverb one is nicer than this one, but I came home with it! Since I was actually able to look this one over in person, rather than by proxy through pics, I was sure of its condition.
So you bought one that you tried in person and liked- which many people on here recommeded as the best course of action? There is a whole bunch of excellent advice on this forum, glad it was proved right again.

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Touche, I wrote that other post while in the Uber to the airport in a tired state lol. It was somewhere between a few minutes and an hour:D.

Yep but as the other thread explains, that's sometimes difficult. I still don't know what a early 90s or early 00s custom feels like

islandjimmy

Reaction score
I have purchased two brand new Les Paul guitars from Guitar Center's website and both of them were sourced from store display models. I found this out because both times it said the location of the guitar. One of them just happened to be in my hometown so I chose store pickup. When I got to the store they said "it will take a few minutes we need to get it down and find the case in the back". Both guitars are amazing and were like new, so I have no complaints. Plus, I got such good deals it was better than buying used.

afireinside

Reaction score
The one time i did that and came from a store it was local. A little banged up. But $600 for a LP Traditional satin mahogany new w case was sweet!

Latest Threads