Does GC ship display inventory when ordering New online?

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't they? New is new. Just because someone tried it out doesn't make it any less new.
LOL. We're talking about Guitar Denter here. New is not new in their case. They're not maintained and typically beat to shit. I tried to buy a new 2017 SG Standard, but it was left unattended for so long in their non-climate controlled showroom and the neck had become twisted. No truss rod adjustment or proper tuning on a guitar that's been hanging on a rack for 16 months can result in this. New is new in the box. Anything else is a floor model and should be priced appropriately.

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Welp. This just happened:

Tim,
We have an inventory issue with the guitar you ordered. It has been on a hold (layaway) for a customer for 3 weeks. There is apparently a system error that allowed you to order the guitar. We have 2 options. There are 23 of these guitars available. I can easily order you another one by cancelling your current order, and reordering. The only issue is the pre auth on your credit card may take 2 days to fall off. The other option is to have another shipped in to my inventory for you to then fulfill your order. This may extend fulfillment to you by a few days at most. Let me know, and sorry for the confusion/issue. I'm confident we can make it happen swiftly for you. Feel free to reach out when convenient. Thank you!
I called them immediately and we worked it out. THey're going to overnight one of the other 23 in the chain to me so it will be here on on Saturday.

Jon, who I spoke with, was ultra-modern helpful. Answered all my questions and even went to bat for me to get the overnight shipping cost covered by the store for me. I had no attachment to the "one" that was at their store already so I didn't mind that at all -- I just didn't want to wait another couple days for it to arrive. Great experience with GC on this one.

I ensured that the 45-day return policy and the return to any BM store still holds up so we'll see what happens.

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Well, I emailed again asking if he could perhaps put in a request that I get a new in box one.

He said "being this is a 2018, none are new in box." So I guess GC has 0 new in box 2018s available.

I ordered New. So I guess the question is what is "new". Is it just "never owned by anyone other than Gibson and the distributor but hanging on a wall in the distributor is okay" or is it "never opened since it was packaged by Gibson"?

Depending on how it looks when it arrives, and considering I also have his email explaining/proving that it's a floor model, I wonder if I could get a discount? I know a.full refund is 100% possible but, even if I do like it, as another poster mentioned, a floor model shouldn't be priced as a New guitar, right?

Does anyone know if GC regularly gives discounts on floor models? Since that's definitely what I'm getting...

Last edited:

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Well, I emailed again asking if he could perhaps put in a request that I get a new in box one.

He said "being this is a 2018, none are new in box." So I guess GC has 0 new in box 2018s available.

I ordered New. So I guess the question is what is "new". Is it just "never owned by anyone other than Gibson and the distributor but hanging on a wall in the distributor is okay" or is it "never opened since it was packaged by Gibson"?

Depending on how it looks when it arrives, and considering I also have his email explaining/proving that it's a floor model, I wonder if I could get a discount? I know a.full refund is 100% possible but, even if I do like it, as another poster mentioned, a floor model shouldn't be priced as a New guitar, right?

Does anyone know if GC regularly gives discounts on floor models? Since that's definitely what I'm getting...
"New" means never sold. "New, unused condition" means something else. The GC near me.... all of the Gibsons are high on the wall, out of reach of the unwashed masses. They look to be in perfect condition. Maybe you'll get a good one. I disagree that a floor model should be automatically discounted. Just because a few people played it doesn't mean its not in mint condition. If there are issues than that's a different story.

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
I concur with this ideal -- in fact, if I hadn't come to this forum and heard people speak otherwise -- If i were to have gone into a GC, picked up a LP, liked it, I would have then _preferred_ to have the floor model I played -- I wouldn't then say "Yes! this guitar is just what I'm looking for. Can you order me another one?"

That said, if there's a discount to be had (without being dishonest or underhanded), I would like to take advantage of it.

RGVKiwi

Reaction score
Before chain stores and online stores you bought the guitar in the store. You played it, liked the colour and the playability and bought it. If you wanted a different colour you ordered it paid for it or a hefty deposit and it was YOURS. No argument.

I think GC is being taken advantage of with their policy and in fact screwing themselves over in the process. Imagine what the freight cost alone for the continental USA is for all these 45 day return policies everyone is taking advanatge of.

it's no wonder they are going broke!!!

Justin_Case

Reaction score
The vast majority of the returns from the GC online sales are taken to the retail stores. It's easier to just bring it in to a store than go through the hassle of an RMA and Shipping labels.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Regarding GC - "New" just means "bought from the manufacturer, not bought from an individual." It could have hung on the wall for years, been demoed by hundreds, shipped across the country to several stores where other potential buyers then refused it based on condition, etc. In fact, it could have been bought, gigged and returned several times, even. Their system still considers returns "new."

The type of purchase you seem to be after is what they refer to as "Factory sealed in the original manufacturer's packaging. Never opened. Not a repack. Not a SIT. Not a floor demo."

If you use that exact language, you're more likely to get a fresh one from the manufacturer, if they have one and everyone in the chain of getting it to you gives a rat's ass and has the intelligence required to make it happen.

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Well, fellas. The guitar arrived today annndd... it's goin' back.

"Off the wall" is one thing. What I got is something else entire. Dried out fretboard, bent pickup ring on neck pickup (I'm not sure if it was put on backwards or what but the edgers are bulging out on both sides), dent at the bottom of the fretboard, little dents near the lower fret wire/binding, some _very_ light scratches on the back, dusty as all hell, oxidation pitting and water marks on the chrome parts, and, less important but noticeable, the strings are oxidized and old, it's covered it dust, and the AAA flame top is one of the least impressive I've seen. Action is super high and intonation is way waaay out (nearly half a step at 12th) but that's obviously not a permanent issue -- just thought I'd call it out. It sounds and feels okay but I didn't feel that magic with it right away like I have with other guitars.

The big things for me are the lack of the magic, the pickup ring (and what that means about the attention paid to this guitar over time) and the lackluster top. Combined with all the other stuff, it's going back.

I already placed an order for the one I've been eyeing on reverb. I went with this one because I wanted to try for 'new' first since the price point was similar -- I see now why the GC price point for new is the same as used. Note to others who come later -- GC 'new' is not always what I would call 'new'.

Last edited:

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Is it possible to get some picts ?
Sure. I took some but didn't photograph everything -- also note this is after i already dusted it off somewhat.

I should note that I _know_ I'm being _very_ critical and picky here and 99% of these issues can be fixed up easily-- except for the top but even that isn't _terrible_ and subject to opinion. Even the oxidation ca be fixed up with some polish, I'd think. My guess is the original PUP ring was cracked or otherwise ruined so someone replaced it with one that didn't fit very well and , in haste to get it shipped, gave the fretboard that little chip at the end -- it's only the binding ground down a bit and folded over the fretboard -- the wood itself isn't damaged -- but still.

But this is my first LP and a $2500 purchase is _very_significant for me. For a NEW guitar, I think I'm within my rights to expect them to at least expect them to run a rag over the thing before boxing it up or notice the bulging PUP ring and ... idk.. do something about it? If they couldn't be bothered to run a rag over the headstock before stuffing it in a box -- what else does that say about their past care of the guitar? If this was sold as used and priced accordingly, I would not have an issue at all.

I want to be in total love with the one I choose and I'm willing to keep looking until I find one with which I am. Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.41.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.41.41 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.42.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.42.34 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.42.40 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.43.01 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.43.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.43.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.43.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.44.48 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.45.57 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-04-01 at 9.47.18 PM.png

The packing job was also horrible -- nothing in the case whatsoever except the guitar itself and a sheet of bubble wrap on the bottom, top, and sides of the case. Is this SOP for GC?

That said, the missing 'magic' is the main factor -- of course, that's probably at least somewhat affected by the initial reaction I had to the state of the unit but, c'est la vie.

For those curious, this came from Pittsburgh, PA GC. Store 855

Last edited:

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ve bought a few from them and actually picked out the serial number I liked best...

I think it was GC...Or was it Sweetwater...

Never mind, ignore me :naughty:

-Chris

modavis99

Reaction score
Here is 2 cents you didn't ask for - if you're spending $2,500 buy a used plain top Historic!

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
Here is 2 cents you didn't ask for - if you're spending $2,500 buy a used plain top Historic!
Maybe I will one day. For my first, though, I wanted something that I was able to play in person. After playing a 2018 standard and knowing I liked it, I pulled the trigger. I called over 10 shops in my area and there were NO LPs out there from the years I wanted to try and I really didn't want to order online something I've never even played a cousin of, ya know?

Im going to keep my eyes open for a used custom from the early 90s or 2000s and be okay with selling this one for another that sweeps me off my feet even more.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles, man. Even more sorry that I'm not surprised. When the store inventory selection across the country gets to the last few, and they have been around a while, there's good reason why they are the last few.

You're not wrong for sending it back. Worst part is someone else will still be sold this same one as "new" once again. Eventually, it'll get manually marked down at one of those sidewalk sales and find a home for a fair price.

I feel your pain, man. Seen it many times.

Ironically, I've got a 1960BHW coming from a GC floor, now. I'm fully expecting to have problems, but factored that into the price. They already screwed it up a little, attempting to ship it to the address of the very store I bought it from. Those guys! :facepalm:

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
@cooljuk
The type of purchase you seem to be after is what they refer to as "Factory sealed in the original manufacturer's packaging. Never opened. Not a repack. Not a SIT. Not a floor demo."

If you use that exact language, you're more likely to get a fresh one from the manufacturer, if they have one and everyone in the chain of getting it to you gives a rat's ass and has the intelligence required to make it happen.
I didn't see this post from you. If you look earlier in the thread you'll see that I requested a NIB, non-floor-model. The GC employee said that [paraphrasing] "since this guitar is discontinued, there are 0 NIB in the chain and it will 100% be a floor model from GC, no matter where/when/how you order it."

wmachine

Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work out. At least you are aware of the ins and outs now.
And most importantly, you're not stuck with a bad one, and still have that money in your pocket.

Latest Threads