does binding matter to you?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
You re right when you say it's only aesthetics...but aesthetics are important. Everyone loves a beautiful guitar, and they can be beautiful with or without binding imo. Some LPs should have binding, I can't imagine a LP Custom without all that binding, top, bottom, neck and headstock. On the other hand I think an SG WITH binding would look terrible.

Concerning Studios...To me it depends on the color. I'm not a huge fan of black or wine red Studios because imo those colors look better with binding. This is all a matter of personal preference of course. To me most other color Studios look fine without binding.

The bottom line though is... if a guitar sounds and feels great it doesn't matter much either way.
Not just aesthetics. Binding has a functional purpose. It protects the body edges from chips and dents, and gives the fretboard a smoother feel.

sk8rat

Reaction score
depends on the guitar. It is very rare that I see a les paul with no binding and look twice and even if I do, my first thought is "too bad it doesnt have binding."

never liked binding on telecasters.

Rhust

Reaction score
Not just aesthetics. Binding has a functional purpose. It protects the body edges from chips and dents, and gives the fretboard a smoother feel.
but no one says "man, this PRS fretboard feels like ****" other brands CAN make smooth fretboards without binding... I've even suspected that the binding started as "it's cheaper to do this than QA each bare fretboard" :D

oddly enough, my epi standard, with binding, is the only one that has a ding on the edge, a small chip in the binding...

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a unbound Flying-V, and the neck is very comfy without it.

Gibson does a good job with or without binding.

To answer the question it doesn't really matter for me, it's more of a cosmetic feature, I like it but I don't need it.:)

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I appreciate it has no bearing on how I will play the guitar. However, I prefer binding on the neck.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
but no one says "man, this PRS fretboard feels like ****" other brands CAN make smooth fretboards without binding... I've even suspected that the binding started as "it's cheaper to do this than QA each bare fretboard" :D

oddly enough, my epi standard, with binding, is the only one that has a ding on the edge, a small chip in the binding...
On the contrary, I've played many a PRS, even the really high-end ones, that had some pretty rough fretboard edges.

JM2112

Reaction score
Binding does have a function to play in that it protects the edges of the wood from damage. It certainly adds to the guitar's visual appeal. The LP Custom is my favorite model, and I do admire the multi-layer binding.

The funny thing is how we've all come to expect it. If body binding was put on the SG we would all flip out because that guitar never had it to begin with, only the neck on the Standards and Customs had any binding.

efstop

Declining Rotten Apple
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have had several guitars with binding on the bodies and necks, none of my current guitars have it. I prefer LPs with binding, but I can live without it on the cheap LPs.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Yes, to me I prefer the feel of it on the neck edges.

My Heritage and Lester both have neck binding as does my Guild bass. The Guild does not have any body binding, just neck.
I've found I can feel the difference in my hand when I play my maple necked Strat.

I wish I didn't, but I can.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For ME personally, an LP needs to have binding and fret nibs

As for lighter weight, what about an 08-12 LP Standard (chambered)?

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I don't need it on the neck, but I was surprised to find out how much I needed it on the body.
I played a '71 Deluxe for YEARS but had to sell it and was without a LP for a lot of years.
I got a 50's Trib that KILLS, but every time I looked down, it weirded me out...I just had it in my head that there would be binding there and there wasn't.
I did the faux binding thing, now the sun is shining and the birds are chirping.

No ugos

Reaction score
I'm a binding guy. I can really feel the difference on the neck and it doesn't feel right without it.

So What

Reaction score
Binding makes it easier to see the fret dots on stage, but beyond that...it always depends on the feel.

If you have a good smooth feel resulting from a good finish job on the fretboard, it really doesn't matter.

moreles

Reaction score
I do like the look of neck binding, but even more, I appreciate the feel a a fingerboard edge without fret slots or protruding fret ends. Some builders install frets and roll fingerboard edges so that even unbound, the feeling is really clean, so it's do-able, but in general my experience is that a bound board is mechanically preferable to an unbound one. It's not a big deal to me, but a real difference nonetheless. Also, as a protective feature and a visual element, I like binding.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I like binding. I also like the nibs. I can live without nibs, but really like binding. Gibson guitars look off without binding.

mdubya

Reaction score
I don't need it on the neck, but I was surprised to find out how much I needed it on the body.
I played a '71 Deluxe for YEARS but had to sell it and was without a LP for a lot of years.
I got a 50's Trib that KILLS, but every time I looked down, it weirded me out...I just had it in my head that there would be binding there and there wasn't.
I did the faux binding thing, now the sun is shining and the birds are chirping.
Faux binding is awesome. :thumb:

gball

Reaction score
I personally love the binding and I am at the point where I will only buy Gibsons that have it.

emerald81

Reaction score
If I have one guitar with binding I can live with other without binding, no problem.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjxEB-oM2WQ[/ame]

xD

Latest Threads