Does Anyone Use An E.Q. Pedal As A Clean Boost?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have a JoYo Fish N' Chips pedal that has seen little use since day one. I keep reading threads about clean boosts or using an OD pedal as a clean boost. I should think a simple 6-band e.q. pedal would serve the purpose. I am not looking for anything to color my amp's tone; so that's why I been hesitant to go with any OD or boosts because many of them do add midrange or change the amp tone. Have any readers here been successful at boosting your crafted amp tones with an e.q.?

Classicplayer

freak

Reaction score
I have two friends in bands, both excellent guitarists, who use a boss eq as a solo boost.
I've tried it, but with mixed results. Give it a shot, there is some good articles online about settings. Mostly straight across, except the volume boost.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I used a Boss EQ for boost for a while.
I could never get it to.not color the tone.
Switched to TC Spark Mini which is much
more transparent.

Kyle76

Reaction score
I used a Boss EQ for boost for a while.
I could never get it to.not color the tone.
Switched to TC Spark Mini which is much
more transparent.
I love my Spark Mini, but it does add gain, so you have to adjust accordingly. But it’s a tremendous pedal in a tiny box at a small price.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I love my Spark Mini, but it does add gain, so you have to adjust accordingly. But it’s a tremendous pedal in a tiny box at a small price.
A very small amount unless you're out of clean head room.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Yep, i use a BOSS EQ pedal for solo boosts, i can tailor the sliders to how i want it to sound, sounds great, is silent, and the best i've used.
With a Dark Terror headroom might become a factor. When you used the Boss, did you have it before or after reverbs or delay pedals? I will take some time this weekend to try this “Fish n'Chips” as a clean boost.

Classicplayer

pillbug

Reaction score
You're onto the right track. This is a very effective way to boost your signal and cut through a mix for solos.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I'm hoping that those of you that have used an e.q. for boosting your amp agree that an e.q. pedal does not color the amp tone, or if some do color the sound, it is minimal?

Classicplayer

Kyle76

Reaction score
A very small amount unless you're out of clean head room.
I have moved it to the end of the signal chain, just before the amp. Haven’t tried it yet because it’s too hot in the shed. I’m thinking that will reduce the gain.

redking

Reaction score
I have done this yes, and it worked great at the time. I boosted the 3.2k band and the overall output and in conjunction with everything else on my board at the time it added a nice volume boost and sparkle - I had the pedal located at the end of all my dirt boxes as I recall.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I have done this yes, and it worked great at the time. I boosted the 3.2k band and the overall output and in conjunction with everything else on my board at the time it added a nice volume boost and sparkle - I had the pedal located at the end of all my dirt boxes as I recall.

I never thought about that! Good point. I guess an acquaintance of mine nearly 40 years ago related to me that an e.q. pedal can solve a lot of guitar sound problems. I never paid much attention, other than the statement somehow remained in the back of my mind all these years, but I never realized it’s value, until reading the posts in this thread. Thanks to those of you who posted here, or are about to post.

Classicplayer

freak

Reaction score
I played around last night with my Marshall half stack. EQ Out in front, not the loop. seemed to work ok, not as much volume as I hoped. Think enough of it to keep playing with it.

Latest Threads