Does anyone know what this could be?

Guitarpik

Reaction score
I recently bought a new 2021 Les Paul. I meticulously inspected it before handing over the cash and I’ve taken it out of the case a few times since purchase and baby the hell out of it.

I just took it out the other night and noticed a very thin clear looking line on the body that I’ve never seen before. I tried wiping it with the provided microfiber cloth but nothing was happening. I then used my nail (behind the cloth) and put a lot more pressure and I noticed the very thin line started turning into what looks like scratches.

Does anyone know what this could be and if there’s anything that will remove it?

I tried my best to get a picture of it but it’s extremely difficult as you can only see it at a certain angle with a lot of light behind it.

thanks in advance!

CerebralGasket

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the case.

A few years ago I purchased a second hand SG. The case had a rivet that must have fallen inside the case before they installed the case lining. It stayed embedded underneath the lining and created a scratch on the bottom side of the guitar.

Was surprised the previous owner(s) never found it in the 20 years before I got it.

full

full

Last edited:

Guitarpik

Reaction score
I know it doesn’t look bad in the pictures and I’m probably coming off as a bit of a bellend but when the light hits it right, it just looks so bad and it bothers me after spending so much on it.

I guess I’ll try naphtha or virtuoso and see what happens.

searswashere

Reaction score
I know it doesn’t look bad in the pictures and I’m probably coming off as a bit of a bellend but when the light hits it right, it just looks so bad and it bothers me after spending so much on it.

I guess I’ll try naphtha or virtuoso and see what happens.
Its going to get dings and age. If that bothers you, buff out the blem and put it in a display case (out of sunlight) now.

Guitarpik

Reaction score
Its going to get dings and age. If that bothers you, buff out the blem and put it in a display case (out of sunlight) now.
I’ve kept it in the case since I purchased it. It’s definitely not a dent or ding. There was a hairline line that I tried wiping away and it turned into scratches.

searswashere

Reaction score
Lines dont turn into scratches unless there’s particles in your cleaning cloth, unfortunately.

Guitarpik

Reaction score
Lines dont turn into scratches unless there’s particles in your cleaning cloth, unfortunately.
Would be pretty messed up of Gibson to provide a cleaning cloth with tiny particles in it but I dont think that’s it. It almost seems like it’s some kind of glue for lack of a better word that now appears as micro scratches after using my fingernail behind the cloth.

LesPaul60sTribute

Reaction score
I had similar odd markings on a brand new Gibson LP Standard I purchased not that long ago. I ended up returning it as it felt to me like a blemished model. After I returned it I did see it advertised as a “demo” on the sellers web site. Interesting tho as it was shipped to me as “brand new” & arrived back to the seller as a “demo” with only several days in transit. It seems to be hit & miss with the blems at Gibson. Still love them tho - :)

E68E96F2-0BBC-419A-83AD-7C03281E3631.jpeg EBA24679-3511-42E5-B1F5-FAC98A3549D1.jpeg D9CC3A74-A582-4AE3-B481-8B4562001A7E.jpeg C025BB50-3F99-4E1A-87F8-F600E13E6D52.jpeg

Guitarpik

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll hit it with some polish and if it doesn’t work, oh well.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
IDK, but do know that Gibsons are finished in lacquer which (IMHO) is a rather obsolete finish for anything. I prefer thin poly. As to what caused this, I have no idea. As to how to fix it, you might try some of those furniture repair sticks that look like Magic markers. Start with one that looks too light, and go darker from that if needed. If you get it right, shine it up with polish of your choice. Me? I use 303 brand touch-less sealant or Meguairs Super Shine on my guitars — both lacquer and poly. I know use of these is controversial as they are automotive finish products. But so is lacquer and poly —but use your preferred polish.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Probably finish checking. Nitro lacquer does that. It can do it even when it's fairly new.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, I have a lacquer finished real, one owner 1961 Gibson LP SG Standard that I bought new in November, 1961. It is only now having some lacquer cracking. It is over 60 years old. Do newer Gibsons have this sooner?

Cjsinla

Reaction score
Well, I have a lacquer finished real, one owner 1961 Gibson LP SG Standard that I bought new in November, 1961. It is only now having some lacquer cracking. It is over 60 years old. Do newer Gibsons have this sooner?
Not in my experience

Latest Threads