does anyone know more about this alleged conversion?

judson

Reaction score
always like watching mark, dude gets to play alot of nice stuff......

didnt see it on the website, maybe it sold already

saw norm updated his website as well or maybe i just havent been there in awhile

thanks for the post

mdubya

Reaction score

saw norm updated his website as well or maybe i just havent been there in awhile

thanks for the post

Mark is definitely cool. Fun to follow. But I thought the guitar was kind of sketchy. :D

judson

Reaction score
mid 90's he said it was first purchased by the guy that thought he found the holy grail, maybe didnt pay alot for it then hopefully

Lays has one on Reverb at $15k that looks close to the one in the vid.

so was the person that did the conversion do it purposely to pass it off as original? i would guess yes as he said it was in a moldy old dusty case and the guitar had tons of old gunk on it..

prolly all purposely to deceive...

but today they call them conversions...not fraudulent

mark had some good points that lets face the average guy will never afford a real Burst, so as a player with all the parts and old wood, why not?

here is Lays at $15k sort of makes you think about it, that is within reach for alot of players i would guess
https://reverb.com/item/12266540-gibson-les-paul-standard-1959-cherry-burst-conversion

Last edited:

Pete M

Reaction score
This looks like kind of an oddball. 60's SG looking inlays. The top looks like a veneer of western maple, and the switch position (or upper curve) and horn look kinda off. The top carve around the switch looks odd too.

Fugazi39

Reaction score
I think it's a 68. Or something. Not a 'burst. I wonder what they are asking for it. I wouldn't pay more than 2 grand. Too many question marks. I thought the same thing about the Gibson logo placement. Too high for a '50's Les Paul.

mdubya

Reaction score
No doubt the real parts have value...if they are real. The dubious nature of the guitar makes one wonder about the "real" pieces, too. That Norm's is trying to pass it off as a "50's conversion" is questionable to me, too.

We all know you can't just claim it is a conversion. They made no attempt to show any evidence of it being a 50's anything. In fairness, Mark did say it could be anything. :dunno:

I think I'd rather take my chances with a verified '59 Melody Maker than with something that "could be anything."

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Premium Member
Reaction score

thanks for the post
According to yesterday's GOTD, it's sold.

mdubya

Reaction score
That’s pretty lame of Norms imo- it would take 10mins to verify what it is *not*, as a ‘68 is fundamentally different from any ‘50s, and ‘50s so distinctive in itself- to claim ignorance while asking $15k is well..just plain ignorant.

That was bothersome to me, for sure. But Mark does encourage calling him for the real details. They don't post specs with the videos. But that was why I started the thread. If I can spot red flags on a video, those red flags are big and obvious.

I saw that. :shock:

judson

Reaction score

this is a good time to play

"What would you pay based upon only marks video?"

mark mentions the cost of the PAFs alone $6-$7k....old plastic is still there he said

he disclosed everything they know about it...

mark makes two good statements;

1) its a tool, made to be played

2) his playing statement speaks for itself, he and the guitar sound great

name your max price you would pay......me, maybe $5 to $6k if i was drunk buying online...

i bet it sold for $9k-$10k maybe , not really sure, he hints/mentions the cost of the PAFs at $6 to $7k and a CC LP at $7,500 would put you past what i think they were asking

to give them shit for offering it is ridiculous if you dont know what they sold it for,

everything is relative to cost......

so until you find out what they got for it, your comments are not valid

what do you think it sold for? and what would it be worth to you?

Last edited:

mdubya

Reaction score
this is a good time to play

"What would you pay based upon only marks video?"

mark mentions the cost of the PAFs alone $6-$7k....old plastic is still there he said

he disclosed everything they know about it...

mark makes two good statements;

1) its a tool, made to be played

2) his playing statement speaks for itself, he and the guitar sound great

name your max price you would pay......me, maybe $5 to $6k if i was drunk buying online...

i bet it sold for $9k-$10k maybe , not really sure, he hints/mentions the cost of the PAFs at $6 to $7k and a CC LP at $7,500 would put you past what i think they were asking

to give them shit for offering it is ridiculous if you dont know what they sold it for,

everything is relative to cost......

what do you think it sold for? and what would it be worth to you?
I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. :hippie:

jimi55lp

Reaction score
I couldn't see any maple in the cutaway? Top looks veneered? If the parts are original , they're worth more than 15K.

yeti

Reaction score
Excuse me but that's complete BS. Norm Harris has been in the business for longer than most, he, along with maybe another handful of guys started the vintage retail business. I expect nothing but complete forthright honest spot-on information from his. what somebody paid for it has nothing to do with anything. J@S is 100% correct. Mark's sales pitch on this one is completely unacceptable for a shop of this standing.

sws1

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Excuse me but that's complete BS. Norm Harris has been in the business for longer than most, he, along with maybe another handful of guys started the vintage retail business. I expect nothing but complete forthright honest spot-on information from his. what somebody paid for it has nothing to do with anything. J@S is 100% correct. Mark's sales pitch on this one is completely unacceptable for a shop of this standing.
Being in the business a long time suggests nothing in regards to honesty. Smart and/or savvy? Yes. Honest? no.

And my comment should not be interpreted as pertaining to Norm, with whom I've never done business.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Pass. Too many questions.

Is it just me or did that neck pickup sound like shit? Mud city imho.