Does Anyone Here Gig With Their R8 or R9?

lawrev

Reaction score
Or leave the expensive Standards at home and bring a Junior out to gig! :)

davidc51

Reaction score
I have a few Gibsons and take whatever I'm in the mood for taking! Here's me with my old 56 which I've had since about 1967. A bit knocked about but it still makes me smile when I play it at a gig.View attachment 442809
Although I don't look very smiley in this pic. Must have been that difficult 'A' chord!!

Roger M

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking seriously about getting back into local gigging again.

But I'm wondering about my R8. I'm not sure if it the best gigging guitar for a few reasons - its value, its weight, etc.

I'm not worried about damaging it or wrapping it up in cotton wool... I'm just wondering if it's "too much" for local cover gigs or wedding parties.

I'm basically in two minds about getting a workhorse for around €1000 and just taking that out.

Am I being too precious?
I have friend who regularly plays out some mouth-watering guitars in his collection - including his '59 burst . . . meant to be played . . .

BoogyWithStu

Reaction score
There are really two main reasons why you should not gig with an expensive guitar and both are down to money. (1)Gigging any guitar means there is a good chance of damaging that guitar. {2) There is always a chance that it will be stolen, and if it is an expensive guitar it's probably more at risk of being taken. Now, if you are not worried about dings and scratches or a broken neck, gig it. If you can afford to replace that guitar if stolen, and money is not an issue, then gig it. If money is tight and you have scrapped and saved for years to get the guitar of your dream which you love and cherish, then don't gig it. Simple as that.

captdan61

Reaction score
So, I'm thinking seriously about getting back into local gigging again.

But I'm wondering about my R8. I'm not sure if it the best gigging guitar for a few reasons - its value, its weight, etc.

I'm not worried about damaging it or wrapping it up in cotton wool... I'm just wondering if it's "too much" for local cover gigs or wedding parties.

I'm basically in two minds about getting a workhorse for around €1000 and just taking that out.

Am I being too precious?
I bought a 2014 R9 which I gigged heavily eventually got to warp up the neck sadly when I said it to Gibson they said they couldn't fix it would seem like crazy thing to say but they gave me a 2016 that I was able to pick out of what they had in the custom shop and since I got that I've been gigging it it's often has a gig I don't gig every weekend but a few times a year I played outside I played inside I live in Arizona I use that I used to know Square I use my other Les Paul I bought a 1980 which was my main guitar for 10 years to a point where I would have finished off the neck. at the end of the day they are tools. I'll admit I have some old strange Japanese guitars and one guitar called an iris from Czechoslovakia that I have been strange tunings and I don't use all the time but generally I play the guitar Zion I just take them out and playing with wave like them well enough. if these pictures come through this is for the guitar looks like that's you know been showing love and used. this isn't my ar9 yet but this is my other Les Paul that I bought brand new in 1980 so what I've been playing it with 40 years..

Attachments

captdan61

Reaction score
There are really two main reasons why you should not gig with an expensive guitar and both are down to money. (1)Gigging any guitar means there is a good chance of damaging that guitar. {2) There is always a chance that it will be stolen, and if it is an expensive guitar it's probably more at risk of being taken. Now, if you are not worried about dings and scratches or a broken neck, gig it. If you can afford to replace that guitar if stolen, and money is not an issue, then gig it. If money is tight and you have scrapped and saved for years to get the guitar of your dream which you love and cherish, then don't gig it. Simple as that.
I have to disagree I wanted my ar9 since I was a teenager and I saw my first iced tea colored univox Les Paul copy. It was at a store in Seattle called The Magic Flute and I will always remember that guitar couldn't afford it years later like my 50th birthday I was going to buy it instead I bought a house waited a couple years and then went out and bought stack of money with me. Went to the store in Tucson Arizona that had a bunch of them brought my own amp no pedals play the lot found the one that sounded the best and felt the best that was $1,500 more than I was planning on spending and bought it I just play the thing I played a practice it doesn't live in its case that lives in the stand and it gets plated outdoor shows bars whatever best sounding guitar I have best playing guitar I have except for my Esquire which is a partscaster I put together that weighs 6.4 lb my love Paul weighs 8.5 my other Les Paul weighs 10 so I use the lighter Les Paul

Attachments

Gold Tone

Reaction score
My ‘99 R9 has been on almost every gig since I found it around 2004

motorcobra

Reaction score
The reason I don't own a custom shop reissue: way too pricy/precious for the style of music, venues I play, energy level onstage. Just bashed the headstock of my Trad against a cymbal last night. Of course, if I ever evolve into more housebroken, mannered music with nicer settings---maybe I will take the plunge, haha. Let your style and usage be the guide!

The_Nuge

Reaction score
Yes I do!
No reason to have the equipment if you don't use it as intended!
I usually take one of my RI Lesters or one of the Korinas as a main guitar and "something else" (Tele, ES..) as an alternative / spare. Also always bring a good amp - and I don't worry about the stuff!

Tomburst

Reaction score
Yes gig your guitars. I mean why not?? They excel at good volume in a band setup and for me that's what the real fun of having a great guitar is about. But I never let it out of my sight unless a band member has his eye on it while I go for a slash or go to the bar. Otherwise it might go walking out the door. I like to rotate my historics at different gigs so that they all get played. Here's a recent one of my r8 cc15 Greg martin thru an Orange rocker 30 and 2x12 Jensen alnico cab

PJSD

Reaction score
^^^very cool man, the good ol' days when we could play gigs.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
I paid more for my 1964
lefty  64 es 345 j.jpg
ES-345 than I did for my car, and I've used it at every rehearsal and gig since I bought it last June. I'll never own a 'Burst, (though I almost bought The MacEnroe Burst) so I can truthfully say, "I'd never own a guitar that I wouldn't gig with."

Latest Threads