Does Anyone Here Actually Go Out To See Movies?

realjimjim

Reaction score
Just wondering . . . the last one me and my girl went out to see a movie was "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest."

And we can't even recall what year that was!

Anyone here go out to see movies regular?

markerdown

Reaction score
I took mrs marker a few months ago. First time in decades ......it reminded me why I stopped going :D

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last movie I went out to see was D'jango Unchained, but I went to the afternoon matinee for $3 or so. I spent more money on popcorn and a drink. :laugh2:

rxbandit

Reaction score
Yup, saw 22 Jump Street last week. And Godzilla in Imax 3d a few weeks before that, man I love Imax movies. Not just the screen size but the audio is so much better!

cybermgk

“No such thing as fun for the whole family"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I do, but am selective.

Movie has to appear to be good.
Movie has to be such that it will be better on/benefit from the big screen.

Then we go. Anything else costs too darn much for me and 2 kids (actually 2 adult tickets 1 child). With tickets, snacks, etc it's a major purchase.

realjimjim

Reaction score
I took mrs marker a few months ago. First time in decades ......it reminded me why I stopped going :D

That's sort of what the Mrs. said . . . she'd much rather lay on the couch in her undies, and munch junk food, them hit pause when she needs to run to the bathroom.

Just wondering who else gave up the movie houses . . .

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
not really, not anymore.

Every time I do I remember why I don't anymore.

I just wait for the blu-ray now. I pay the same price but I get the movie, the special features, and I don't have to deal with annoying movie theater patrons (and their cellphones.)

Honestly I think if theaters wanted more people in the seats they'd enforce a serious rule on cell phones, like, if we see them or get a complaint you get kicked out with no refund.

as long as I keep seeing little bright squares of light popping open all the time while I'm trying to watch the movie I paid for, I'm not going.

There's just no need to.

Sh*t I have a projector in my basement anyway. :laugh2:

2wrhjit.jpg

13zy2xf.jpg

..so why pay to get frustrated when I can sit at home? :)

Kashmir

Reaction score
My wife and I go about twice a year, usually to see something huge or something in Imax 3D. My daughter got us passes to Lux Level in Showcase Cinema Gillette Stadium for Father's Day, where we can eat dinner and order drinks while watching a new film. I haven't done it before, but I heard it's an excellent experience. Looking forward.

PatriotPlace.jpg

LuxLevel620x180.jpg

Cinemadelux470x300.jpg

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used to. Pretty much stopped about 7 years ago.

Why? -because of what I like to call the "new era" of public behavior; cellphone conversations, loud talk from person B describing what happened over the last ten minutes of the film because person A was, you guessed it, on the cellphone.

Total disrespect for others in the audience, kids running back and forth, and general fvcking off and grab-ass. I paid good money for the ticket, and the objective was to sit in peace, and enjoy the film.

..Not a peep is heard out of me. Ever.

Last movie I went to, I endured about 20 minutes of such rude, hedonistic behavior, and went up to the lobby and asked for my money back, citing the reasons why.

I got it.

Get off my lawn, you say? G-damned right. And no, you can't have your ball back.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
I'm a pirate, I download everything. Its so easy, and I can watch whenever I want, where ever I want, can pause it when I want etc.
Also, movies are so damn expensive these days. I pay like €10 / 15$ for a ticket, and then popcorn is like atleast $5 and drinks are atleast 4$.

I go once a year or once every 2 years, because some movies are just worth seeing in cinema.
I went to see Avatar in 3D and that was really worth seeing in cinema.
I saw the Lotr trilogy and both Hobbit movies in cinema, and thats about all the movies I can remember seeing there.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
All the time.

mmm...popcorn.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
My wife likes to go, but I'd rather just wait for Netflix / Redbox most of the time for the comfort of my own home. Mostly, so I don't have to deal with groups of kids that get annoying. I feel old just saying that, but it's true. Plus, the movie theater by our house is getting old and run down. They've maintained the latest technology, but the seats are terrible.

I did, however, discover Studio Movie Grill. It's about a half hour away, but SO worth the additional 28 minute drive. $10.50 for a normal ticket, which is about average for theaters now, but you can order real food and drinks. The food is just kind of "meh", but being able to have a beer while sitting in giant comfy chairs is awesome! Plus, I'm guessing most kids don't think about going there, despite it being the same price as elsewhere. It just seems like it'd be more expensive, and that's enough to deter a group of kids.

fett

I can see for miles and smiles.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I sure as hell don't. I just talked to my mailman. He took the family to see; " How to do whatever to a Dragon". He asked me to guess how much it cost. Without hesitation, I said $50. I hit it right on the button. That didn't include popcorn.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used to. Pretty much stopped about 7 years ago.

Why? -because of what I like to call the "new era" of public behavior; cellphone conversations, loud talk from person B describing what happened over the last ten minutes of the film because person A was, you guessed it, on the cellphone.

Total disrespect for others in the audience, kids running back and forth, and general fvcking off and grab-ass. I paid good money for the ticket, and the objective was to sit in peace, and enjoy the film.

..Not a peep is heard out of me. Ever.

Last movie I went to, I endured about 20 minutes of such rude, hedonistic behavior, and went up to the lobby and asked for my money back, citing the reasons why.

I got it.

Get off my lawn, you say? G-damned right. And no, you can't have your ball back.

That is why we avoid certain plexes and certain times at the ones we do use, when we go.

Hack

Reaction score
No.

Maybe once in the last 10 years. I hate it.

cybermgk

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Just as an FYO to you all. Just heard that by next year, the Chinese market is expected to surpass the North American market as the biggest movie going market, in terms of numbers.

Now, just saying, Studios are in it to make money. They WILL pander to what the majority of their audience wants.

Put 2 and 2 together to figure out what not going to a theater is going to do as far as subject matter.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I just saw the "How to Train Your Dragon" sequel last weekend with my GF and her kids. Even shelled out the extra coin for 3D. It was incredible. Great story, breathtaking animation, humor and gutwrenching emotional scenes all made for a great flick!

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I quit going to movie theaters for years. Then the Warren opened up...

I like to go the Warren balcony (the Director's Suites are good too). Reserved semi-private seating, with full food and bar service at your seats.

balcony.jpg

I got a great Home theater too, but some pics need the big screen ... at least one time.

ATM47

Reaction score
Movies at home:

I can sit on my couch.
There is no one texting.
There is a 55" screen 9 feet away.
There are 6 JBL arrays and well over 1KW RMS pushing them.
I can make popcorn and put real butter on it instead of "non dairy popcorn lubricant".

ATM47

Reaction score
Someplace like the Warren might get me to go though.

Latest Threads