Does anyone here actually find General Lee's flag and the flying of it offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
None of this is what I was saying, what you did was take TWO different replies from me, to TWO different posters and spliced them together.....but it's not a big deal.

I was not speaking about flags (Ross or any other), I was speaking about throwing around the words "traitors" and "treason" in one context but being oblivious of it in the other.

I never-ever said that those two wars were "as equal ground"......

A Lot of history that is "taught" is probably not always the best...trust me.

I’m just stating the history i was taught.

I spoke my peace on the confederate flag.

(I can only guess) The betsy ross flag was equated to being similar in meaning.

The difference was the revolutionary war was against taxation without representation and tyranny.

If you see the Revolution and the Civil war as as equal ground then thats your perception.

bocage44

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like America did 'The Slavery Thing' for the absolute least amount of time when compared to pretty much all other cultures.

Yet we've been paying for it and hearing about it for hundreds of years. Even people that weren't born at the time whose ancestors were on the other side of the world at the time,.. have to hear about it.

If people stopped living in the past maybe they would focus on building up their future.

I can't imagine a modern Jewish person going to Egypt and being like, "You racist motherfuckers owe me!"

because that would be ridiculous.

that. would. be. ridiculous.

View attachment 471494

(hint, hint)

Not modern, but Exodus 3 did have something to say about reparations :laugh2:

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Yeah it seems like America did 'The Slavery Thing' for the absolute least amount of time when compared to pretty much all other cultures.

Yet we've been paying for it and hearing about it for hundreds of years. Even people that weren't born at the time whose ancestors were on the other side of the world at the time,.. have to hear about it.

If people stopped living in the past maybe they would focus on building up their future.

I can't imagine a modern Jewish person going to Egypt and being like, "You racist motherfuckers owe me!"

because that would be ridiculous.

that. would. be. ridiculous.

View attachment 471494

(hint, hint)

I'm still waiting for my reparations check from the Duchy of Normandy.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Not modern, but Exodus 3 did have something to say about reparations :laugh2:

Pharaoh will let you go,.. then chase you across the desert and try to murder you all.

granted historically that did not work out well for him. :laugh2:

rxbandit

Reaction score
Not offended by it, but definitely would/do have an negative opinion of anyone flying it or displaying it.

Definitely don't think it should be outright banned.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I guess I should download all the episodes and movie before the rage mob gets the show disappeared.

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I should download all the episodes and movie before the rage mob gets the show disappeared.

*Fires up qbittorent*

*Searches Dukes of Hazzard*

qbit.png

dspelman

Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I always think Of the civil war or the dukes of hazard when I see it, I honestly don’t think I’ve ever thought about race or slavery.

I'm pretty much there as well. When I was growing up it was more associated with "YeeHAH!" and idiots doing dangerous things over bodies of water. And beer.

As part of my personal systemic racism, I had no idea what Juneteenth was until the last week or so, had never heard of Emmett Till nor why his glass-topped coffin is in the Smithsonian, and I'd never heard of the Tulsa Massacre. I've always considered myself pretty well-read, but none of that was in any history back that I cracked.

lancpudn

Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my reparations check from the Duchy of Normandy.

Hey get in line! I'm still waiting on reparations from Norwegian, Swedish & Denmark governments for their Viking invasions into the UK from AD 793 to 1066, I've had to suffer a ginger beard all my life & I want some reparation dosh from Norway's €1trillion oil wealth fund to cover my misgivings :thumbs:

lancpudn

Reaction score
This was my missus idea of setting up camp in the mid 1980's, She had her 1972 Ford mustang mach 1 convertible and set up confederate flags in the campground around our caravan at classic car show weekends :eek2:

UdREJ74l.jpg

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much there as well. When I was growing up it was more associated with "YeeHAH!" and idiots doing dangerous things over bodies of water. And beer.

As part of my personal systemic racism, I had no idea what Juneteenth was until the last week or so, had never heard of Emmett Till nor why his glass-topped coffin is in the Smithsonian, and I'd never heard of the Tulsa Massacre. I've always considered myself pretty well-read, but none of that was in any history back that I cracked.
Glad to see you have repented for your personal systemic racism.

dspelman

Reaction score
Sometimes I think the whole 'melting pot' thing can't work.

So many countries seem fine when they have a unified culture. As soon as you have lots of competing cultures everyone starts fighting.

There are countries that have a thousand years (sometimes two) of unified culture. A few.

But we're a nation of immigrants, a lot of whom were minorities in countries that had otherwise unified culture OR longstanding grudges against various groups that weren't in power. We're a nation of downtrodden and rebels and outcasts and ex-slaves with different religions and some deeply harbored national hatreds and grudges and entitlements, and we're only 250 years old.

I'm amazed that we've made it *sort of* work this long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads