Does anyone here actually find General Lee's flag and the flying of it offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Many things can be true at the same time:
  • you can like the confederate flag
  • you can like the 2nd amendement
  • you can like black people.
Those are broad generalizations and it doesn't paint a clear picture. I am 100% 2nd amendment, I am NOT a confederate and I don't care what color anybody is. The history is important so that it is not repeated. That is a lesson that the current ANTIFA and BLM could have learned from the the bolsheviks.

Near as I can tell, we are somewhere between step 2 and step 3:

D, true. Come to my area-Fireworks+Chaw. ALWAYS exceptions but stereotypes become stereotypes, because they become FACT. The guys I see flying tattered Rebs are what they seem. N' word is constantly on their lips. I'm getting tired of free speech. I want ALL drugs legalized and jackboots. People are "bred out"- we need an extinction event.

bocage44

Reaction score
Texas vs White was a post-facto justification by the corrupt Chase Court.

Had the Confederate states in 1861 filed a "divorce suit" in the (Taney) Supreme Court rather than foolishly starting a war, history might have been very different indeed

What offenses classify the Chase Court as being "corrupt?"

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Hey, I "quit" Minnesota thread-bad for my head- now- I'm in another RACE thread? I'm sticking to my threads-I know they are safe? Wait? Can this be?

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Hey, I "quit" Minnesota thread-bad for my head- now- I'm in another RACE thread? I'm sticking to my threads-I know they are safe? Wait? Can this be?
This isn't a race thread, this is a flag thread :)
To me, it's the flag of a nation whose people fought and died for the right to OWN other people.
If you have a hard time understanding this, you are probably white and have no black friends.
My that's a mighty broad brush! I don't think the world is so simple, but that's me. The whole issue is hardly.....wait for it......black and white :rofl:
So I'll add Charlie to the 'yes it personally offends me' side, yes? Maybe I should have put up a pole....er poll!

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score

My that's a mighty broad brush! I don't think the world is so simple, but that's me. The whole issue is hardly.....wait for it......black and white :rofl:
O..........I'll leave this from one of my fave bands

...........I know this is flag thread---leads to same pool..

charlie chitlins

Reaction score

It is that simple...or damn near it...but people have tried to o...wait for it...whitewash history. :naughty:
The idea that the war was industrial vs. agrarian is bullshit.
It was, as usual, lots of poor people fighting and dying to protect what a relative handful of rich people wanted; and that was slavery.
Of course, not every soldier was thinking, "I'm gonna kill some yanks for slavery," but that's never the case.
Soldiers in Vietnam weren't thinking, "I need to preserve French colonialism even if it kills me!"

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
To me, it's the flag of a nation whose people fought and died for the right to OWN other people.
If you have a hard time understanding this, you are probably white and have no black friends.

The vast majority of people who fought in that war did not own any slaves. Only the rich people owned slaves.

They were fighting because the north was invading their homeland and killing and burning everything in their path.

It's amazing how many people do not understand that. It's almost like war and real life is complicated and people just find it easier to go, "der racism!"

The war was not about slavery.

NRBQ

Reaction score

I suspect for the people that were a part of the conflict on both sides that it was somewhat more complicated than that. I've read that something like over 90% of the soldiers that actually fought for the confederacy weren't slave owners, and pretty much had little choice but to fight for the country they now lived in. Clearly the soldiers that fought for the south at the time weren't the ones that made the decision to secede from the Union, but they were the ones that had to live with the decisions others made for them. What choice did they have, none really, their fate was sealed by politicians. They weren't going to move to the North, and by many historical accounts, people then were loyal to their state more than anything, so they did what they had to. And that's not to say they were against slavery, but like all wars it's the poor young man that is tasked to go to battle for the old men in charge of their fate. Truth to power.

I've read that Robert E Lee felt he had to fight for the confederacy because Virginia was his country, and since they went that way, he went that way, not even really believing in the cause of slavery, true? not sure honestly. He was asked to be the leader of the Union Army but his loyalty was ever to VA and its hold on him was much too strong to serve for the Union in such a conflict. Right or wrong, he felt strongly that he had to serve HIS country no matter the reason.

We all know that the Civil war divided many families, where brothers fought brothers on opposite sides of the conflict., so clearly it was a very complicated issue for those living thru it. I think we tend to simplify things of this nature, but I'm sure it wasn't that way at the time, not politically, and not on a personal level. BTW, none of this is in support of the confederacy or slavery, just noting that it's easy to look back on other times in history and judge the people of the time thru today's lens and that is a big mistake, at least if we wish to view history from a realistic perspective; wars and why people are willing to engage in them are normally very complicated and have many layers of motivations.

Last edited:

NRBQ

Reaction score
The vast majority of people who fought in that war did not own any slaves. Only the rich people owned slaves.

They were fighting because the north was invading their homeland and killing and burning everything in their path.

It's amazing how many people do not understand that. It's almost like war and real life is complicated and people just find it easier to go, "der racism!"

The war was not about slavery.

That's so weird, I just wrote a post a moment after this, saying very much the same things, I promise I didn't peek.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I suspect for the people that were a part of the conflict on both sides that it was somewhat more complicated than that. I've read that something like over 90% of the soldiers that actually fought for the confederacy weren't slave owners, and pretty much had little choice but to fight for the country they now lived in. What sort of alternative choice did they have? They weren't going to move to the North, and by many historical accounts, people then were loyal to their state more than anything, so they did what they had to. And that's not to say they were against slavery, but like all wars it's the poor young man that is tasked to go to battle for the old men in charge of their fate.

I've read that Robert E Lee felt he had to fight for the confederacy because Virginia was his country, and since they went that way, he went that way, not even really believing in the cause of slavery, true? not sure honestly. He was asked to be the leader of the Union Army but his loyalty was ever to VA was too strong to serve for the Union.

We all know that that war divided many families, where brothers fought brothers on opposite sides of the conflict., so clearly it was a very complicated issue for those living thru it. I think we tend to simplify things of this nature, but I'm sure it wasn't that way at the time, not politically, and not on a personal level. BTW, none of this is in support of the confederacy or slavery, just noting that it's easy to look back on other times in history and judge the people of the time thru today's lens and that is a big mistake, at least if we wish to view history from a realistic perspective, wars and why people are willing to engage in them are normally very complicated and have many layers of motivations.
Very well put, I believe.

NRBQ

Reaction score
Very well put, I believe.

Many thanks, you know I keep hoping the powers that be will read something like that and finally make me the VIP member I so richly deserve to be, but so far nothing. Maybe if I stopped posting so much about topics like poop and masturbation I might have a better shot.

Last edited:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Many thanks, you know I keep hoping the powers that be will read something like that and finally make me a VIP member, but so far nothing. Maybe if I stopped posting so much about topics like poop and masturbation I might have a better shot.
Don't sweat it...not like VIPs get cake or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads