Does anyone here actually find General Lee's flag and the flying of it offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocage44

Reaction score
Like a lot of things it was an open question at the time. The USA never did get around to figuring out the argument properly and just said "it's illegal", as there is the chance that it isn't.
The latest argument for it being illegal was by Justice Scalia and it's a pretty weak argument which makes me think he was joking.

Scalia-Turkewitz-Letter-763174.jpg

Wow, I had not see this before - Scalia's last two sentences in the first paragraph are hilarious. Thanks for sharing!

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hold my scotch, too...

While over a hundred countries still have slavery, six countries have significantly high numbers:

1. India (18.4 million)
  2. China (3.4 million)

*gasp!!*

You mean we're doing business with actual slavers!!

Meanwhile we're busy renaming streets and taking the Dukes of Hazzard off of Amazon?

...it's all such hypocritical nonsense.

Hold my beer.

Pretty disgusting. I guess the terrorist anarchy organization known as BLM will get around to protesting this right around the same time they're protesting all the violent and murderous black on black crime happening in Chicago and New York.

... probably about the same time they start telling black people to stop assaulting random white people and little old ladies for their crime of being white. I don't see them condemn the attacks so they must support and condone it. (They keep telling me that's how this works, if I don't specifically condemn something it's because I support it.)

...yeah I wont hold my breath. BLM exists to make a few race hustlers rich. We all know it.

Last edited:

FLH

Reaction score
Of course you can.

Nope, at least not around here. We recently had a guy walk into a grocery store with a swastika on his face mask. The store didn't ask him to remove it or leave, they called the police. The police came and asked him to remove it, which he did. They then spent several days trying to find something to charge the guy with, but they couldn't come up with anything. It was all over the local news, including pics of him wearing it, and pics of his face after he took it off.

I don't think it, nor the confederate flag, should be banned. They shouldn't be flown on government property, but they shouldn't be out right banned, either. I don't get why anyone would want to display either one of these flags, but I shouldn't have to. It's their right, and none of my business what they do.

Last edited:

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope, at least not around here. We recently had a guy walk into a grocery store with a swastika on his face mask. The store didn't ask him to remove it or leave, they called the police. The police came and asked him to remove it, which he did. They then spent several days trying to find something to charge the guy with, but they couldn't come up with anything. It was all over the local news, including pics of him wearing it, and pics of his face after he took it off.

I don't think it, nor the confederate flag should be banned. They shouldn't be flown on government property, but they shouldn't be out right banned, either. I don't get why anyone would want to display either one of these flags, but I shouldn't have to. It's their right, and none of my business what they do.

He can still wear it. It's not illegal. There may be cops that will try to force it's removal, but in the end they will lose.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
trea·son
/ˈtrēzən/
noun
The crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill the sovereign or overthrow the government.

Treason is defined as intentionally betraying one’s allegiance by levying war against the government or giving aid or comfort to its enemies. It’s the most serious offense one can commit against the government and is punishable by imprisonment and death. Treason prosecutions are rare; there have been fewer than 40 federal prosecutions in U.S. history.

18 U.S. Code § 2381.Treason
Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States.

By April 1861 the United States was no longer their country. They had left.

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Certainly, after the Civil War, southern succession and the Constitution were very difficult things to reconcile. I would argue that Texas v White in 1869 basically established that the Union was insoluble and therefore the Confederacy was in fact committing treason.

Texas vs White was a post-facto justification by the corrupt Chase Court.

Had the Confederate states in 1861 filed a "divorce suit" in the (Taney) Supreme Court rather than foolishly starting a war, history might have been very different indeed

Last edited:

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

I 100% don't condone wearing a swastika and I think it's stupid.

However the bolded parts,...are seriously fucked up. You don't call the cops because you don't like someones clothes. And decent cops shouldn't "spend days trying to find something to charge him with."

that's all complete bullshit.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Not offended, not American, not black.
As a kid I did learn about the American Civil War. It wasn’t in school curriculums but it was just out of interest.

I’ve always been surprised at the popularity of the flag, especially given they lost, but it’s not something I find offensive.

I don’t equate it to Nazi symbolism.

At the same time, I don’t understand the heavy-handedness with Nazi symbolism in Germany either. KISS redoing their logo for German release seems a bit extreme. Not saying it’s wrong, but I do believe in the preservation of history, even if it has unpleasantness.

Ultimately I think that if the citizens of Atlanta (for example) want to have a confederate monument removed (or placed) then the citizens of Atlanta should be the ones to make the call. Not the larger US population and not the world committee.

Hey Howard, not sure if you know but very interesting background & History to that symbol, having been used many, many times prior to the Nazi Party.

Cheers, Rudi

RAG7890

Reaction score
With all the other issues going on in the world today, the confederate flag becomes controversy.

“We want our flag!!1”

“Take down that racist flag!!1!”

Who gives a shit?

It’s all a distraction.

:thumbs: :applause::applause::applause:

:cheers2:

redcoats1976

Reaction score
grew up 100% yankee in connecticut with ancestors that arrived on the mayflower.the confederate flag doesnt offend me,but after moving to florida and becoming friends with a lot of good ol southern boys i discovered that the history of the civil war as taught in northern schools might not have been as factual as i had believed.could there be two sides to every story?

FLH

Reaction score

However the bolded parts,...are seriously fucked up. You don't call the cops because you don't like someones clothes. And decent cops shouldn't "spend days trying to find something to charge him with."

I totally agree. I couldn't believe the cops even responded to it. The whole thing was fucked up, the guy wearing it, the store calling the cops, and the cops responding to it. It's all bullshit.

The same thing happened a few days earlier when some dipshit wore a KKK hood instead of a mask into a grocery store. It was a different store (one was Vons and the other was Food 4 Less), but it happened in the same city, Santee California.

LP121

Reaction score

I don't condone it either. The store has the right to refuse service to anyone they want as long as it's not based on race, religion, or sexual orientation.
They could have asked him to remove it or leave. If he didn't comply, then call the police.

That should have been the end of that.

Barnaby

Reaction score
I'm not going to weigh in on whether or not the flag is offensive to me, being a Brit (and also having no desire to engage in political debate on MLP or, indeed, online at all), but was curious about how Americans thought in general. One survey group presents statistics that are not really surprising and are broken down here.

There are also some interesting charts.

race-breaks-confederate-flag%20copy-01-01-01.png

From the site:

Methodology: Total weighted sample size was 34,598 US Adults aged 18+. Participants were asked, “What do you believe the Confederate flag MOST represents?” Response options were: Heritage, Racism, Neither of these, or Don’t know.” The survey was conducted December 6 - 9, 2019. The responding sample is weighted to provide a representative sample of the United States.

There were 1919 people from New England, 3975 from the Middle Atlantic, 4117 from the East North Central, 2387 from the West North Central, 7206 from the South Atlantic, 2001 from the East South Central, 3933 from the West South Central, 3146 from the Mountain division, and 5914 from the Pacific. There were 519 people from Alabama, 307 people from Arkansas, 1952 people from Florida, 799 people from Georgia, 257 people from Louisiana, 163 people from Mississippi, 1210 people from North Carolina, 408 people from South Carolina, 746 people from Tennessee, 1202 people from Virginia, and 2710 people from Texas. The sample is weighted to provide a representative sample of the United States.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads