Does anyone here actually find General Lee's flag and the flying of it offensive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
Ok, first off, I really don't want this to get political and shut down. I am genuinely asking these questions to learn more about American History and Culture (as a third party with no connection to America) and current opinions of the people here which I respect.

What is happening in parts of America has had me learning more of your history, specifically the Civil War. I can see why so many historians are fascinated by it. The controversy surrounding General Lee's flag also fascinates me. I have had a love of that flag only because of my love of the Dukes of Hazard, and later in life all the great music and food that comes from 'The South'.

In my own fictional country there is a similar move to re-write history through a new 'victim' lens wanting to remove or revise parts of our history. But we also have certain 'flags' that at one time in history have meant something and that meaning has been changed by certain sections of the community - specifically the Flag from the Eureka Stockade and the emblem of the Southern Cross.

So, how does the display of General Lee's flag make you feel? What does it mean to you? If there's any history buffs here that can tell me more about General Lee I'd like to hear it too.

But as a controversial subject (apparently) the last thing I want is to cause division amongst my mates here.
So, what can ya tell me?

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ll be honest, I always think Of the civil war or the dukes of hazard when I see it, I honestly don’t think I’ve ever thought about race or slavery.

Maybe if I was black I’d have a different opinion or it would have a larger impact on me.

I think it’s important to recognize that’s its sensitive to some folks, but removing it from existence as well as the statues it’s associated with is equally offensive to a larger audience, I’m not exactly sure where all this will end but I hope and pray they get it figured out.

i feel like they’ve been terribly successful in silencing the majority by using anything they believe in as a weapon to ruin their careers, lives, and families, you like something and you have a permanent record and label in society. I love my job but I can’t be this vocal at work because I’d be a racist

pondcaster

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Guessing these are going to be white guys opinions on this topic, right? So take from source. Are there any black guys on this board at all? If so, hope they chime in and clue y'all in on something that is obvious to most who are paying attention.

Like wondering why a Jewish person is disgusted and offended by the Nazi symbols and flags.

If you honestly feel that way and have to ask about that flag, you could never actually understand.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's time to stop glorifying the Confederate battle flag and the generals who fought under it.

The history has been repackaged and whitewashed into some sort of "glorious lost cause in the war of northern aggression" when in fact it was NOT.

The civil war was a war of treason against the United States, with the purpose of overthrowing the country and preserving slavery.

It was a war of treason and rebellion. The leaders - generals and senators who conducted this war were traitors.

I'm OK with the shit staying, PROVIDED the true and real story is told, not some lying bullshit created in the 1900s by a bunch of southern biddies who had jack shit to do with the war and just wanted to rewrite history to their liking.

Tim Fezziwig

Reaction score
Where I live Rebel Flag is used as an F'you to people of colour, I live in PA, very Yankee!! Young SCUM ride around in their MONSTER TRUCKS with TWO REB FLAGS in the bed ? 90% have Don't Tread on Me stickers-DUMB AS PAINT! This is 11 year old stuff-Let's kick the cart......I get it you dislike black people- you are a REAL unique.................

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
If you honestly feel that way and have to ask about that flag, you could never actually understand.
Well as I'm not from America, and I don't really know alot of the history, I thought I'd ask. To say "I could never understand" purely on the basis of asking a question seems a bit of overkill to me. Surely understanding is gained by the asking of questions?
There are alternatives my friend....very nice alternatives!

I had to re post this, because I LOVE......
Jack Daniels :rofl:

Bytor1958

Reaction score
Hmmmm.... Guessing these are going to be white guys opinions on this topic, right? So take from source. Are there any black guys on this board at all? If so, hope they chime in and clue y'all in on something that is obvious to most who are paying attention.

Like wondering why a Jewish person is disgusted and offended by the Nazi symbols and flags.

Auschwitz remains in tack because they want everyone to remember what happened and never to repeat it.

Last edited:

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
Not offended, not American, not black.
As a kid I did learn about the American Civil War. It wasn’t in school curriculums but it was just out of interest.

I’ve always been surprised at the popularity of the flag, especially given they lost, but it’s not something I find offensive.

I don’t equate it to Nazi symbolism.

At the same time, I don’t understand the heavy-handedness with Nazi symbolism in Germany either. KISS redoing their logo for German release seems a bit extreme. Not saying it’s wrong, but I do believe in the preservation of history, even if it has unpleasantness.

Ultimately I think that if the citizens of Atlanta (for example) want to have a confederate monument removed (or placed) then the citizens of Atlanta should be the ones to make the call. Not the larger US population and not the world committee.

Standard

Reaction score
The flag is just a piece of cloth with historical significance.

My problem is the dumbshits that fly it. Their existence offends me to my very core, "Durr it's my heritage!... you know owning people and attempting to overthrow the government. But we're not hateful, pinkyswear"

Fuck off with that bullshit before we resurrect Sherman.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
With all the other issues going on in the world today, the confederate flag becomes controversy.

“We want our flag!!1”

“Take down that racist flag!!1!”

Who gives a shit?

It’s all a distraction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads