Does anyone have information on Steve Jones' 1954 Les Paul Custom

MLP

Banned
Reaction score
It's safe to assume that we have all heard the story of how Malcolm McLaren told Sylvain Sylvain that he would buy him a plane ticket to London for his 1974 Les Paul Custom (Sylvain thought he would sell the guitar to buy the plane ticket) but McLaren never bought the plane ticket, and gave the guitar to young Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones in 1975 (when the first pictures of Jones and the Custom appear).

But there is another Les Paul that Jones used, a 1954 Black Les Paul Custom with P-90's (see link). The first pictures of this guitar appear in 1977 (used for the first gig with Sid Vicious in the band). Is there any info on this guitar? It was used through the American tour, including their last concert at the Winterland.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABUc4SAtWY&feature=related"]Sex Pistols Live Clips from 1977 - YouTube[/ame]

It's well known that Jones "Nicked" a lot of gear. There are pictures of him using a flying V for the recording of "Nevermind The Bollocks..." that he stated he stole.

Any info is good.

Lastly, this isn't a Steve Jones hate thread. I don't care if your not a Sex Pistols fan, this is just a question about a vintage guitar used by a crucial player.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the guitar, except that this video shows it's in for the ride of it's life, and I wouldn't hold high hopes for the survival of the 54' based on who was holding it.

Dave1968

Reaction score
I remember endlessly perusing the 'Sex Pistols File' alot as a kid loving his Gibsons...

He had a number of Gibsons, Jnr, DC, SG and the '54:

Be nice to know what did happen to it!!:fingersx:

weirdotis

Reaction score
I don't know anything about the guitar, except that this video shows it's in for the ride of it's life, and I wouldn't hold high hopes for the survival of the 54' based on who was holding it.
Yeah... :(

MLP

Banned
Reaction score
There's no evidence of him treating any of his guitars badly, in fact, it's the opposite, especially in the beginning of the Pistols when they were the Swankers from 1972-75, when the only gear he could get a hold of was gear stolen from the Hammersmith Odeon.

Spekter

Reaction score
There's no evidence of him trating any of his guitars badly, in fact, it's the opposite, especially in the beginning of the Pistols when they were the Swankers from 1972-75.
True, but Sid's holding it in that still photo above.:Ohno: Looks like Steve just showed him how to play a barre chord. Somebody has got to remember seeing a '54 Custom with that alien head sticker on it.

MLP

Banned
Reaction score
True, but Sid's holding it in that still photo above.:Ohno: Looks like Steve just showed him how to play a barre chord. Somebody has got to remember seeing a '54 Custom with that alien head sticker on it.
Exactly, keep in mind, though that back in 1977, a mid 50's Les Paul would have been relatively easy to find and relatively cheap, it would be like a 90's Les Paul is nowadays, so it wouldn't have mattered as much.

Wilko

Reaction score
from Wikipedia:
He also used a 1954 Black Gibson Les Paul Custom stocked with a P90 pickup in the bridge and an Alnico pickup in the neck, and Sunburst Gibson Firebird.

MLP

Banned
Reaction score
from Wikipedia:
He also used a 1954 Black Gibson Les Paul Custom stocked with a P90 pickup in the bridge and an Alnico pickup in the neck, and Sunburst Gibson Firebird.
I think the part about the Les Paul is relatively understood, do you have any information on the Firebird? That could be interesting too.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
If you look at the shipping totals of 1990's Les Pauls in compare to the 1954 totals, you'll know it was not as easy in 77' to find the 54' for sale. I do agree the cost was much lower then being just a bit more than a new LP Custom, but harder then finding "hens teeth" on that date depending on where you lived with no internet.

Wilko

Reaction score
yeah, specially in England.

Not cheap, unless you lucked out, even in '77.

Archtop 13

Reaction score
The full SanFran show is on YouTube. It has both Les Pauls & the Firebird. The P90 Paul really sounds better through that Twin than either of the others. He ends up playing the Bird, the worst sounding of the three, through a lot of the show cause it's the only one that will stay in tune.

MLP

Banned
Reaction score
If you look at the shipping totals of 1990's Les Pauls in compare to the 1954 totals, you'll know it was not as easy in 77' to find the 54' for sale. I do agree the cost was much lower then being just a bit more than a new LP Custom, but harder then finding "hens teeth" on that date depending on where you lived with no internet.
I was making a point, not a statement.

krall

Reaction score
It has both Les Pauls & the Firebird. The P90 Paul really sounds better through that Twin than either of the others.
Does anyone knows what Steve used for overdrive in front of his Twin?

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
Supposed to have used an MXR Distortion+ for the odd boost for 'solos' but mainly relied on the overdriven fender twin.

The 54 Black les Paul is featured in a lot of the later videos they did for the Rock and Roll Swindle film , Silly Thing, Rock and Roll Swindle, No One is Innocent etc, seems to appear around the american tour can't say I've ever seen him with an SG.

krall

Reaction score
Supposed to have used an MXR Distortion+ for the odd boost for 'solos' but mainly relied on the overdriven fender twin.
I'm having a really hard time believing that..I've owned a few Twins in the past..They are CLEAN machines..Crank them to 10 and they are just loud and clean..He must of had an od pedal of some sort on at all times in my opinion..Unless the Twin was modded..

Wilko

Reaction score
they'll get a pretty nasty sound with a les paul driving them, plus, Sex Pistols live recordings aren't all that dirty.

Many Twin Reverbs have Master volumes--and pull boosts-- too.

Also, Steve Jones is a very conservative guitarist.

Latest Threads