Does anybody plug their acoustic guitar into a regular guitar amp?

Standard 64

Reaction score
I have a electric/acoustic guitar coming and was wondering if plugging into my regular electric setup is a bad idea(or even if it works)just until I purchase a real acoustic amp.The acoustic has a under saddle pickup.Thanks.S64

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
It won't sound great. Run it in the clean channel, back off your treble, and don't turn your amp up too loud. Piezo p'ups are very dynamic and can probably damage your speaker with their transients if your amp is too loud.

Eric Smith

Reaction score
What Thump said. I do it on my AC15C1 even though I have an acoustic amp. The trick is to back everything on your guitar off so as to keep the feedback down. Feedback from a Peizio can be pretty extreme.

River

Reaction score
What Thumper said, although "great" is in the ears of the beholder. I love mine through the Mood channel of my Rude Mood. Think old-fashioned electric piano through a tube amp. Highly appropriate for some songs, not a faithful reproduction of the guitar's pickup system, which my P/A does.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
What Thumper said, although "great" is in the ears of the beholder. I love mine through the Mood channel of my Rude Mood. Think old-fashioned electric piano through a tube amp. Highly appropriate for some songs, not a faithful reproduction of the guitar's pickup system, which my P/A does.
What I used to do, for what few solo acoustic gigs I've played, was run my Takamine (using a Markley ZH-7 pickup) into my Peavey TNT 1x15 bass amp. Extremely high headroom, and a heavy duty speaker designed to handle high-volume transients. It also had a 9-band graphic EQ useful for notching out feedback.

River

Reaction score
What I used to do, for what few solo acoustic gigs I've played, was run my Takamine (using a Markley ZH-7 pickup) into my Peavey TNT 1x15 bass amp. Extremely high headroom, and a heavy duty speaker designed to handle high-volume transients. It also had a 9-band graphic EQ useful for notching out feedback.[/IMG]
My P/A's got a single 15 like that, plus a crossover and horn in a ported cabinet. You talk about faithful acoustic reproduction! In my music room, the guitar sounds like it's actually being played in about five different places in the room at once. Gotta figure out how to pick that up with mics.

AlvisX

Reaction score
Hell yeah

Most of the time a 50w Marshall 4010, lo input,but sometimes my old 1987T . I use a sunrise on the 6 string w/a buffer box and an old DeArmond on the 12 string w/no buffer
I only use magnetics, no quacky piezos or any o that

The biggest problem is that people dont know how to EQ an acoustic guitar...they make it sound like a hi-hat ,thats why I use an amp 90% of the time,that I may have more control over the EQ

jon1

Reaction score
I generally don't, but plugging it into a computer program like garageband or logic usually gives good results.

moff40

Reaction score
An acoustic through a guitar amp, for most purposes, sounds terrible. But as River said, maybe that's in the ear of the beholder - it sure doesn't sound like a miced acoustic. My acoustics, a Yamaha APX 6L and a Takamine F400S-LH 12-string (the older Martin D28 knockoff) go DI to FOH only, and either onstage monitors or in-ears to hear it.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
My P/A's got a single 15 like that, plus a crossover and horn in a ported cabinet. You talk about faithful acoustic reproduction! In my music room, the guitar sounds like it's actually being played in about five different places in the room at once. Gotta figure out how to pick that up with mics.

That's the one thing I missed from the Peavey -- the speaker was too big to both faithfully reproduce shimmer while killing the quack, which happens to a lesser extent with soundhole p'ups than piezos but is still present. So it always took a while to dial into the room being played to avoid thunkathunkathunka issues.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Well, I am presently running my pezo-equipped acoustics through my tube amp designed for electric guitars. While I want to buy a good acoustic amp as soon as finances allow (they don't give away the good ones!), I do get musically usable tones and sounds through my Genz-Benz El Diablo 60 with two 1X12 cabs with vintage JBL K120s with wattage ratings over 100W I use a compressor to prevent damage from transients. Feedback can be a problem but controllable by playing position and EQ. I generally play with clean settings, of course. The sound is not a faithful acoustic reproduction, but it is musically usable, as I said. And a bit of gain can be dialed in to play things like REM's "Driver 8", which is amazingly accurate to the original. With the lower mids boosted it is a fairly good rig for soft mellow jazz. But for amplifying a pure acoustic tone, I'll join those who say you need a dedicated acoustic amp, and a good one at that.

Luckynumber3

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_RNEILjosU&feature=related]Marshall VM 2266 Demo - 10 Guitars - Same setting - YouTube[/ame]

Acoustic into Marshall (yes, an acoustic and a Marshall) at 3:30.:thumb:

Latest Threads