Does a 3/4 maple cap make that much of a difference?

steeler80

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple of Agiles. One has their standard maple cap and the other features a 3/4 inch maple cap. The one with the larger maple cap is about $150 more.

My question is this: does the thicker maple cap make that much of a difference. When I get ready to buy, I don't mind to spend the extra dough, but I would want it to be worth the spending. You know what I mean? :naughty:

mono

Reaction score
Well.... whatever difference it could make, is going to be subjectively defined.

I mean, guitars are on a spectrum, from a plank of wood to a genuine '59 'burst.
It all depends on what you are going for and your budget - if you don't think you will appreciate the extra maple, then don't get it.

I'm of the opinion that construction materials have a lot to do with how an instrument looks and sells, but less to do with how it plays and sounds (flamesuit ON). I mean, at the end of the day you're gunna have to strum a chord or play a few notes, and the way that sounds is going to be your "tone".

slapshot

Reaction score
0211flamethrower.jpg

wizzbang

Reaction score
Its easy which one sounds better to you
Because that's all that matters

sandmannn69

Reaction score
I'm looking at a couple of Agiles. One has their standard maple cap and the other features a 3/4 inch maple cap. The one with the larger maple cap is about $150 more.

My question is this: does the thicker maple cap make that much of a difference. When I get ready to buy, I don't mind to spend the extra dough, but I would want it to be worth the spending. You know what I mean? :naughty:

In a solid-body electric guitar, choice of pickups pretty much makes it sound the way it does.

Gabriel

Reaction score
I can definitelly hear the difference between maple tops and even distinguish between flame, quilted, quarter sawn or curly. Especially after 5-10 gain stages a wah and compressor....

Most people are pretty sure Page never played anything else than an LP but he still sounds like himself with his tele...

reborn old

Reaction score
Maple tops are reported to produce brighter, more trebly ranges of frequencies than all mahogany LP bodies, but this is often compensated for with pickup and/or capacitor choices selected by the manufacturer for that particular model. I imagine a thicker maple top should produce a slightly brighter tone, but I have no experience with Agile pickups or Agile tone.

I can definitelly hear the difference between maple tops and even distinguish between flame, quilted, quarter sawn or curly. Especially after 5-10 gain stages a wah and compressor

Really Gabriel ? Can you tell a solid flame maple top apart from a veneer flame top by just strumming it ?
I suspect the differences you are hearing probably have more to do with different pickups, or strings or guitar woods other than the different grained maple tops in question. If you put the same pickups and strings on each guitar, you would be hard pressed to tell them apart unless they are built with different species of wood, are constructed differently or weights vary considerably IMHO.

Birdbones

Reaction score
I can definitelly hear the difference between maple tops and even distinguish between flame, quilted, quarter sawn or curly. Especially after 5-10 gain stages a wah and compressor....

I can definitely hear the difference between maple tops, if it's flamed, quilted, if it's a lefty or a righty, if the player is African American or Caucasian, if it's night or day, or if the guitar's wood had a squirrel run up the tree trunk. Yeah I can hear the difference in any guitar, even recording with my eyes closed.

Gabriel

Reaction score
Really Gabriel ? Can you tell a solid flame maple top apart from a veneer flame top by just strumming it ?
I suspect the differences you are hearing probably have more to do with different pickups, or strings or guitar woods other than the different grained maple tops in question. If you put the same pickups and strings on each guitar, you would be hard pressed to tell them apart unless they are built with different species of wood, are constructed differently or weights vary considerably IMHO.

Actually I can't hear shit and I was just being sarcastic.:)

I can definitely hear the difference between maple tops, if it's flamed, quilted, if it's a lefty or a righty, if the player is African American or Caucasian, if it's night or day, or if the guitar's wood had a squirrel run up the tree trunk. Yeah I can hear the difference in any guitar, even recording with my eyes closed.

:laugh2: Also I can tell whether the luthier had beans for lunch the day of assembly by inspecting the neck PUP cavity.

Latest Threads