Doc Watson's…. Gold Top!

itchybro

Reaction score
Heard him speak repeatedly of playing rockabilly on a Gold Top Les Paul in Johnson City (TN). Always wondered what it looked liked. Now my mystery is solved.

(Now wondering what the over/under is on high dollar replica will cost... :naughty: )

Some lovely sounds:

OPEN RECORDS

six-string

Reaction score
what?
a guitar topic on this forum?
isn't that a bannable offense?

did Doc like cats?
do you have any photos of him with guns?

MikeZito

Banned
Reaction score
Wow, I never would have expected that in 100 years - very cool . . . thanks for posting!

barricwiley

Reaction score
Wonder how old that pic is.
Never saw Doc so thin. (or young for that matter)
One of the best in his business.

G Man

Reaction score
I miss the good Dr. he really was fun to catch live and along with his phenomenal guitar playing, he had one of the strongest voices I ever heard, and that was after he was already an old man.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
Wonder how old that pic is.
Never saw Doc so thin. (or young for that matter)
One of the best in his business.
Well - he played her, alongside Jack Williams on piano, from '53 to around the mid to late fifties, when he traded her for a Fender Telecaster. By 1960 he had gone back to acoustics to keep the folkies "on side".....

"Blind But Now I See: The Biography of Music Legend Doc Watson" by Kent Gustavson, Chapter Six:
Kent says it was a "1952 Les Paul Gold Top Standard" (others say 1953...). He goes on to say Doc told how he had to change the bridge..... putting in "a regular bridge and a regular tailpiece". A few year later he traded the Les Paul in for a Fender Telecaster - aparently in the mid-fifties.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
For those who have no idea who Doc is, sorry (sadly) was.....
This is a guy who went blind at a very early age, wielding a hammer and guitar.
:thumb: He does stuff with a hammer that gets me bruised fingers, n' I can see :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itBzdesHzDU]Doc & Merle - An Intimate Documentary - YouTube[/ame]

spoony

Reaction score
One of my favorites. No Les Paul involved but when ever I think of Doc I think of DRB. When I was turned on to him I went out and bought a tutorial that had Pete Seeger in it and the first thing I wanted to do was learn how to play DRB just like Doc:)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAbrnjdtYw"]Doc Watson-Deep River Blues - YouTube[/ame]

goldtop0

Reaction score
One of my favorites. No Les Paul evolved but when ever I think of Doc I think of DRB. When I was turned on to him I went out and bought a tutorial that had Pete Seeger in it and the first thing I wanted to do was learn how to play DRB just like Doc:)
Doc Watson-Deep River Blues - YouTube

Isn't that just superb.....thanks for posting spoony....Doc was a treasure
for sure.

Thermionik

Banned
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SIdyomArLY]Doc Watson, Tony Rice & Sean Watkins, "Salt Creek" - YouTube[/ame]

EvLectric

Reaction score
For those who have no idea who Doc is, ...
Y'know, until you said this it honestly, and I mean bottom of my heart honestly NEVER entered my mind that someone might not know who Doc Watson was!!!!!
Being 50 & in the south I can't think of a time I didn't know who he was. Just realizing it but my parents must have taken me to see him when I was a baby! I saw him at a fair (with Merle) was I was around...seven(?) And I knew I had seen him before.
Wow! Cool thread!

Latest Threads