Do You Upgrade/Mod Your Guitars?

Do you upgrade/mod your guitars?

• No I leave my guitars stock.

Votes: 21 13.5%
  • Yes I upgrade all my guitars.

Votes: 34 21.8%
  • I do with some guitars, others I leave stock.

Votes: 101 64.7%

• Total voters

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have not modded my Explorer, Jazzmaster, Epi '57 Junior or SG Special. '13 Tribute, '14 Melody Maker, MIM Tele and Squier Bullet, hell yeah.

Kaicho8888

Reaction score
Modifying my guitars is just fret leveling, crowning, end dressing, saddle and nut tweaking. I keep it "as is" when it left the factory.

Only mod is minor; like switched pickup magnets between 480R and 498T or rotated pickup a magnet on stereo guitars to make the neck and bridge pickups "in phase".

I enjoy improving the play-ability of the instrument. More importantly, the main mod I do is put lots of divots and wear on the frets after years of playing.

dro

Reaction score
I would rather spend hours in the pursuit of guitars with great tone. Problem being, not many places have a decent amp to play them through. Have walked away from what might have been good sounding guitars. But through a shitty amp, sounds like... well...SHIT.

Playing a Les Paul through a used JCM 800 combo, at low volume in a store. Kid next to me was playing something like a Schecter or maybe an Ibanez through a Line 6 half stack..This kid was playing shred licks, I was playing clean.

After a time I asked him if he wanted to hear what his Line 6 was modeling?
He said sure. I cranked the 800 started in on a little demo maybe 30 seconds. The kids mouth droped open.

Didn't buy the Les Paul that day. But I did buy the amp.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m going to do some modding on my strat next string change.

Gonna make a little cut in the pickguard to make truss rod adjustments a little easier and then move a few wires so I’ll have master volume and tone controls and a blender pot since it already has a no load pot in there. Should be easy and I’m looking forward to playing around with the soldering iron a bit.

Zungle

Reaction score
Here's 2 guitars I've done some lite mod's on......

Its kinda funny everyone loves my Warmoth and I've taken grief over the LP several times....

7FEC8171-CA7C-4F84-92E2-9C55CF3ED8EC.png

Last edited:

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
In the 70s and 80s all my guitars were modded or came with coil taps, splits and phase switches.
My last two came as plain and stock as can be and I’m happy with them the way they are.