Do You Upgrade/Mod Your Guitars?

Do you upgrade/mod your guitars?

• No I leave my guitars stock.

Votes: 21 14.1%
  • Yes I upgrade all my guitars.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I do with some guitars, others I leave stock.

Votes: 94 63.1%

• Total voters

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
Not typically but I have in the past.. kinda depends of it lacks in a certain area or not.. there’s a couple of pickups out there I wouldn’t mind checking out so.. something may be the test bed for such a test drive

BrianB

Reaction score
My latest, before making a few changes; 1948 L-7N. Changes were subtle. TRC, pickguard, floating pickup with all the wiring hidden under the pickguard, jack included. Hoping to take some "completed" pix this weekend.

Walt_T

Reaction score
All of my electrics have gone under the iron. My acoustics all remain virgin except for one, I put brass bridge pins in my '85 Washburn Woodstock Artist.

BrianB

Reaction score
BTW; I voted "yes/all" on this poll, but some mods may or may not be called "mods" by some. First thing I do on any guitar I plan on keeping is install strap locks.

On a couple, that's all that was done. On the flip side, the only things original to my '92 LP Studio now are the wood, frets, pickups, truss rod cover screws, jack plate screws, and stop bar. I bought a replacement stop bar but then decided to try top wrapping and didn't want to scratch the shyte out of the new one, so....lol. I even replaced the headstock veneer with one with the logo inlaid instead of the screened logo.

jc2000

Reaction score
Yes, but mostly for cosmetic reasons.

EndGame00

Reaction score
Upgraded the Epi Custom Pro with Monotone Classic PU and 50's style wiring harness..... The Gibby's are all stock... Might upgrade pickups on the 50's Tribute with TTop clones....

Jody

Reaction score
Yes I do,
I have since I was 14,,,(1982) I do complete set ups,,and customizations....

Last edited:

BornToLooze

Reaction score
Most of mine are, but it depends on the guitar.

I have an old Charvel from the 80s that the wiring is a nightmare, and has a coil split switch added to it, and I'm pretty sure when I get around to rewire it I'm going to change it to a Stratoblaster.

My Strat I wasn't really planning on modding it. The whole time I was learning guitar my dad would give me shit about how I needed to get a Strat, so I did what every other teenager would do, stuck to Gibson style guitars. :dude: Well, last year I finally broke down and bought one. It's a sunburst like his is, but it's a Dave Murray signature, has a pearl guard, 3 humbuckers and a Floyd Rose. That's different enough for my inner teenager, plus my wife keeps reminding me the older I get the more I act like my dad.

I ended up letting him borrow it for a gig, and you won't believe this, he put a pearl guard on his, so they look the same, and he really liked the way the pickups sounded and how you can fine tune it with the Floyd on it. So I put a parchment guard and Lone Star sticker on it, so it's still different.

I guess I'm modding it for the same reason some people dye their hair. I'm sure it'll wind up with actual humuckers instead of Hot Rails one of these days.

Now, my Les Paul...I've posted on here plenty of time about how much I love this guitar.

When I got it, it didn't come with a guard or any of the case candy. I really wanted a pickguard on it, but that was back when I sat there with a screwdriver for a couple minutes thinking, "Self, do you really want to put a hole in the top of a guitar you sold all of your guitars to buy?" I finally made myself do it (you would have thought I would put the thing on straight, but I didn't), and then not to long after that, the locking jack went out, so I rewired it with regular pots and a regular jack plate half sideways trying to cover up the rout for the locking jack.

That was about the time I started joining guitar forums as started reading about different pickups, and how having the right pickups are more important that actually playing the damn thing. After going through who knows how many pickups, I started reading about wiring mods too. But by that time I was working enough I didn't have time to do it myself, so I paid Guitar Center to put the pickup switch where the bridge volume was and make the pickup switch a killswitch. Not only did I learn that I play with my guitar entirely too low to use a pickup switch that low, but Ray Charles can probably wire a guitar better than the dude at Guitar Center (shocking, I know) can.

So, I got me a JonesyBlues harness and a set of Sigil Bersekers (the best sounding pickups I've ever heard), wired it up, and it's stayed that way for a couple years. Then today, it was sitting there and I looking at it and how good the gold pickguard bracket looks (that was the only color they had when I bought my guard), and thinking about putting gold hardware on it. On one hand, I think it would look good, but on the other, my wallet really doesn't want me to go down that hole again. :hmm::hmm::hmm:

Also, over the past 10 years, I've done my best to put one of those cool kid relic jobs on it.

Benniator

Reaction score
I decided to mod my Epi Les Paul when I got it over a decade ago. I ended up replacing almost everything Chinese on the guitar except for the wood. I don't think I'm going to replace anything on my Gibson.

Tomsmenace

Reaction score
I typically only mod the electronics, and only sometimes. it depends but I have left plenty stock. On the other hand I frequently buy used and often they come pre-modded and I don't make any further changes. Does that count?

TheX

Voice of Reason
Silver Supporter
Reaction score
I do some REALLY extensive repairs if needed. I rarely mod for the sake of modding.

infield13

Reaction score
Yes and not very often no. I seem to collect older Epiphones either from hulk or playable then it’s off to the parts ‘catalog’. One thing, with one exception, is that everything I do must go in the stock locations. I do however, have a black ‘89 Epi Paul Custom just begging for a third pickup... the Strats And Ibanez RG types I build normally come from different parts anyway, but I still try to adhere to the ‘no new holes’ policy. The only stock guitars I have are a pair of ‘89 Spotlights and a ‘70’s Ovation Viper, oh well...

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Premium Member
Reaction score
Usually just cosmetics.

However, I ordered a set of custom wound Sheptones for my Sunburst Trad. Going to take the '59s out of it, and put them in my '01 Custom.

JCM900MkIII

Reaction score
Put a lock on my Fernandes APG floating vibrato.
Swapped my bridge P.U. on my LP for a Seymour Duncan TB-6.
LP with the pick guard off.
Klusons for Grovers.

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Generally, there isn't a guitar available that has all of the things I like, so I mod them. But I won't spend a ton of money on a guitar to replace half of it- I will buy a guitar closer to what I like.

markbastable

Strange kind of blues-coloured moon
Reaction score
I've modded a few. But I realised that I was modding them all with the same fave pickups, for instance, so I was in effect making all my guitars sound the same.

So these days, if I mod, I tend to put in something that I don't have already. I'll go to a pup-maker I've never used before, say - so that I'm making each guitar not only different to what it was like as stock, but also different to anything else I've got.

Big John

level of suckage: 10
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I mod the crap of everything. Current lester has: Faber bridge & tail, English plastics, DJ guard, DJ inlays, DJ top refin, old Russian P&O caps, Switchcraft 3-way and jack, and (gasp!) WB pups.

dspelman

Reaction score
Most of mine are box stock. There are exceptions, but I don't do cosmetic "mods."
I've invested in a couple of pickup swaps (one returned a guitar to original spec).

dspelman

Reaction score
I just finished crowning and polishing frets on my new SG Special. To me, Gibson's PLEK is a little extreme. Frets that flat bother me.
Gibson doesn't PLEK guitars the way that a real tech would (PLEKs used correctly don't produce flat frets). They use a PLEK machine like a glorified fret mill, and you don't necessarily even end up with a set of level frets.