Do you think these defects are too much?

truckermde

Reaction score
I would agree that those problems are post-factory, and you've got a return or demo there.

I'd ask for substantial discount, or return it, and try again.

Good luck, man. Sorry for the disappointment...

:cheers2:

gball

Reaction score
Its more like if you think they are too much.
I know some look over musical instruments made of wood the same way they'd assess a 100k Rolex......and others who feel that as long as it functions ok and plays well that they see it as an individual piece of craftsmanship and don't expect them to be identical or geometrically perfect.
I've also noted that many seem to have an arbitrary 'perfection threshold', where once you get to a certain $$ value this clicks in......which seems to be irrespective of what the item is or its function in your life.

If in any way you see the guitar as not what you want, then really its not up to others to choose your next steps. Just be aware that the geometric perfection aspect is likely to be unattainable - and an eye for this might be better off directed toward a PRS purchase.

Right. And you definitely don't want to start looking at luxury watches - particularly Rolex - under a loupe unless you are looking for disappointment. Maybe a Patek or Vacheron would be close to perfect but that's about it.

For guitars with lacquer finishes I don't go looking for perfection because I am not going to find it.

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
Sorry that didn’t work out. I’d also guess that someone returned that guitar.

PAPADON

Reaction score
If you can send it back and get one without those issues why would you not do that?:rolleyes:

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
Not everyone lives in a hamster-box in a big city, with easy access to big-box stores, where teenagers can wipe their boogers all over guitars that you can try out in person.

Gibson has unrealistic requirements which make it prohibitive for local Mom&Pop shops to participate.

I have to take an overnight trip to visit the nearest Guitar Denter. I'd MUCH rather buy from a reputable online dealer, like Wildwood, or Mark's...

Thank you.

I bought my slash standard from Zzounds, returning customer and built a relationship with them and got a heads up first dibs on this
Screenshot_20211118-050635_Gallery.jpg

Everything is fantastic. But I had back and forth conversations with a rep.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
take some 0000 steel wool to that binding - itll smoothe over those imperfections

rjwilson37

Reaction score
As others have said, it looks like one that was on the floor or it was a return and not brand new out of the box.

If you have been playing with her and everything seems fantastic and you have a nice bond starting... who cares about a few scratches or imperfections, (Welcome to the new Gibson Quality Control) get some money back from the dealer for it looking a bit used. If you're not bonding at all and it bothers you just to look at it and wish you had a perfect one, send it back and hope the next one is better.

Sinster

Reaction score
The binding wouldn't bother me by itself, but the dings in the body. Now the binding issue bothers me and I would either ask for a discount or send it back for another.

darkvoice

Reaction score
If the guitar was purchased as brand new then I would be upset with these marks too.

Latest Threads