Do you think these defects are too much?

mliebs8

Reaction score
I just had a Slash Les Paul delivered and wanted to get some feedback on a few issues I see. Personally I'm not happy but I wanted to see if I'm over reacting or if it's justified. My personal opinion is that for 3k it shouldn't have any defects, just like my $950 Epiphone didn't. Anyway here's a few pictures of what's bothering me. One of the pictures didn't show up well but it's a drip of the coating on the binding.

Attachments

• IMG_0559.jpg
    IMG_0559.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0560.jpg
    IMG_0560.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0562.jpg
    IMG_0562.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0563.jpg
    IMG_0563.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0564.jpg
    IMG_0564.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 288

jbash

Reaction score
This is my stock answer- and its how I handle such things-

If it has killer tone and playability and has a great top or whatever other aesthetics I love, I ask for some $ off and keep it.

If it doesn't get me in the zone when my eyes are closed, it's not a keeper, whether it's 100% perfectly made or not.

ARandall

Reaction score
Its more like if you think they are too much.
I know some look over musical instruments made of wood the same way they'd assess a 100k Rolex......and others who feel that as long as it functions ok and plays well that they see it as an individual piece of craftsmanship and don't expect them to be identical or geometrically perfect.
I've also noted that many seem to have an arbitrary 'perfection threshold', where once you get to a certain $$ value this clicks in......which seems to be irrespective of what the item is or its function in your life.

If in any way you see the guitar as not what you want, then really its not up to others to choose your next steps. Just be aware that the geometric perfection aspect is likely to be unattainable - and an eye for this might be better off directed toward a PRS purchase.

MP4-22

Reaction score
I don't want to say where I bought it but that exact thought crossed my mind.

I play with my wedding ring on and it can chip the lower binding edges or dent the nitro lacquer....the bottom wear is where a guitar can rub a cable through a strap or if you sit down and play it can rub on a chair or floor.

Where did you buy ? Do they have a lengthy return policy ? I have a Slash and it's pretty flawless, Wildwood is where i bought it and i feel every gibson guitar i bought there was near perfect. Their return policy is only 48 hours....

BDW60

Reaction score
Too much bad. That’s a used/returned guitar. Unless it was the best LP ever, back in the box for that one.

No skin off their back ... they will just sell it to the next guy, and the next guy, until somebody accepts it. Absolutely pathetic but that’s how they all roll. The honest thing to do is detail the warts in very clear pics, and offer it for sale at an appropriate discount. But these places are not exactly honest.

speyfly

Reaction score
Too much! And that's a signature guitar. Sorry that you'll have to send it back.

What about t deep discount to get you to keep it? Just a thought.

MP4-22

Reaction score
I appreciate the feedback from everyone. The guitar is packed up and I'm calling for a shipping label today. This was a major let down. I can't believe my Epiphone is pretty much perfect and was only a third of the cost.

That doesn't look like it left the factory like that, My slash is flawless. Buy from small retailers like wildwood and not huge retailers like GC and $hitwater with 2 month return policies......

truckermde

Reaction score
I can’t fathom buying expensive guitars sight unseen over the internet and playing Russian roulette like that.
Not everyone lives in a hamster-box in a big city, with easy access to big-box stores, where teenagers can wipe their boogers all over guitars that you can try out in person.

Gibson has unrealistic requirements which make it prohibitive for local Mom&Pop shops to participate.

I have to take an overnight trip to visit the nearest Guitar Denter. I'd MUCH rather buy from a reputable online dealer, like Wildwood, or Mark's...

Latest Threads