Do you play along with songs?

moreles

Reaction score
I do (or did) thinking it would help with timing, like a metronome, and it does, but I think you get an inflated and inaccurate sense of your part in the overall sound because it's complete without you and thus you can make mistakes, or drop out, or overplay, and get away with it. Now, I use this activity not to go wild, but to listen for places and ways to fit in. That is much harder and more demanding than just soloing over an already complete tune.

rogue3

Reaction score
I'm not positive which subforum to post this, my apologies if it needs to be moved.

I'm approaching the end of my first year of playing guitar after a 20+yr hiatus. I'm pleased with how I'm progressing (thanks Rod, my guitar teacher) and I'm starting to feel like I'm picking up steam. I have a Boss Waza Air headphone amp which allows me to play along with songs or backing track which is fantastic, but it doesn't rattle the windows :naughty:.

I also have a Boss Katana Mk2 50W amp which will rattle the windows well enough for now. What I don't have is an audio system that I can crank up and play along with. I figured before I'd ask here before starting to look to see what a good option might be.
to answer the title:

Good enough for Phil X. :cool2:

I use too a lot. I still do on occasion, when i want that band vibe.

The past 2 or 3 years, not so much...i actually prefer solo notes.Covid has pushed this further for me.

This (solos playing)became more important when i expanded into my acoustic playing(the last 8 years) in conjunction with rudimentary singing.:rofl:

So playing along with songs? occasionally,mostly for personal enjoyment @ this point in time. Have fun improvising a few leads.

Rhythm playing along with songs? No, hardly at all. All my rhythm playing is just me,my guitar, and my amp(if electric),and a metronome,if necessary. I find i am moving forward much farther playing rhythm alone,unaccompanied than with the crutch of the song.i tend to experiment more.sounds better to these ears.

If i want to learn a new song, i'd rather use tab, i will listen to a tune,to see if i am close(if the tune is not firmly implanted in my head),but that is all.

Early in my learning(long ago and far away,lol!) It was critical for me to play along with tunes,so, it does have an important role.depends what stage you are at,and where you want to go. Definately a good learning tune to play along.

To answer the how to part of your question,i believe papasqash gave you the answer....its in your Boss Katana.Goodluck!

Gary

Reaction score
I have a component stereo HiFi in my music room. A Fender SuperChamp XD gives me good sound and versatility at any volume level. I can jam along at low conversational levels, or levels that makes my wife telll me to turn it down.

A lot of the time I practice along with a CD.

Quite by happenstance, I accidentally turned on the FM tuner instead of the CD player one day. I just started jamming along with whatever was playing. Then, it became a game where I would scan FM stations and jam along with wherever it landed. Oldies, RAP, country, opera, rock, jazz, polka, big band, classical, mariachi music. It was a lot of fun! I upped the game by challenging myself to start in the correct key signature after listening to only a couple of bars.

Sorry for digressing.....

cousingrandpa

Reaction score
I use my laptop into a JBL 40 watt Bluetooth speaker, more than loud enough to play along with.

kidmandude

Reaction score
"Woodshedding" as i call it, is vital to live performing for me, its paramount really. I practice at least 3 days a week at band volume in my practice room like this. I plug my cell into a Loud old Peavey Pacer and go thru 20 to 30 songs over the orignal recorded songs. Most of the songs with the way i plug the cell in kills the stereo recordings so at least one guitar track is cut from what I hear, so that's cool. Ive been doing this a long time.

Knoby

Reaction score
Wow, I'm an idiot. I never noticed the Aux In jack on the back until you mentioned this. I can't wait to get away from pain meds, just three more weeks.
Doesn't the katana also have USB, for recording and playback? I plug my thr10 into computer via USB and the computer audio plays through the thr10. I play along to anything. Mostly backing tracks on YouTube.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
My jam along setup...

Chordify app on phone plugged into a little solid-state amp's MP3 jack and next to that my amp for guitar.

Wish I had this instead of vinyl and tape back in the day.

DADGAD

Reaction score
Vox Amplug is my main jam along gizmo since I play mostly at night and can’t get loud. I have some tab books with backing tracks for songs (sans vocals) and it really threw me for a loop. i realized i was focused too much on the vocal cues. Since on a recorded song the vocals are
predictable, you can hone in on te beat. With the absence of vocals it has forced me to listen to the drums more and get a feel for the groove. It really is something I have to work on.

geddy

Reaction score
Yes. Using original tracks initially. Once you know the song, Backing tracks.com (or any other source of backing tracks) is your friend to help you get timing and phrasing right with less crutch. For me the final stage is playing with the band where the cues are likely to be different. I play tracks on the PC (via aux) into a korg pandora for headphones or into my mixer/monitor speakers for 'over the air'.

Riffraff12571

Reaction score
Absolutely. Back in my early days I played along with records to learn songs and techniques.Lifting and dropping the needle over and over and over to learn difficult parts by ear.....who remembers those days? Where's the old man smilie?

About 20 years ago I started using a looper pedal to do it. I would record myself playing a rhythm track with the pedal then play lead over it. I used the large 2 pedal type Digitech Jamman looper that holds 100 loops and lets you transfer WAV files to and from your PC so I was even able to load jam files from the web into it. You can buy those used for about $100 now.

Recently I've begun to use a cheap interface, an equally as cheap HP desk top and Reaper to do what I used to do with the looper pedal. This is even more fun because there's no end to what you can create with that. There are loads of free speaker IRs, drum plugin's and effects plugins you can download on the web and use in your recording software. You can download Reaper for free and try it for 60 days until you need to buy the license in order to continue using it and that's only $60 for a personal use license. Most of the time when I use this I don't even use a speaker cabinet. I just hook an attenuator up to a head and run the line out from that into my interface and use speaker IRs so I can do it at 4 a.m. while my wife is sleeping in the next room. There has never been a better time for guitar players than now with so many options available to us. I put this and a few other video clips together with my low budget DAW last week.

Last edited:

guitaroholic

Reaction score
I'm not positive which subforum to post this, my apologies if it needs to be moved.

I'm approaching the end of my first year of playing guitar after a 20+yr hiatus. I'm pleased with how I'm progressing (thanks Rod, my guitar teacher) and I'm starting to feel like I'm picking up steam. I have a Boss Waza Air headphone amp which allows me to play along with songs or backing track which is fantastic, but it doesn't rattle the windows :naughty:.

I also have a Boss Katana Mk2 50W amp which will rattle the windows well enough for now. What I don't have is an audio system that I can crank up and play along with. I figured before I'd ask here before starting to look to see what a good option might be.
If you're trying to learn a song, find a 'backing track' without guitar on youtube. If you're playing to a regular track you end up relying on hearing the guitar that's there instead of timing yourself properly. You also find out when you forgot what part is next.

PRSWILL

Reaction score
I play in a popular Minneapolis Cover band and we play everything note for note- so I usually play along to find tone and style, then I will use Guitar Pro and find the music to nail the solos and other tid bits.

Deftone

Reaction score
I have a Spark amp as well. I have it set up with a Portable CD player next to it and I'm grabbing my old CD's and playing along. It's really pretty awesome, having a lot of fun.

Latest Threads