Do you play along with songs?

Phylodog

Reaction score
I'm not positive which subforum to post this, my apologies if it needs to be moved.

I'm approaching the end of my first year of playing guitar after a 20+yr hiatus. I'm pleased with how I'm progressing (thanks Rod, my guitar teacher) and I'm starting to feel like I'm picking up steam. I have a Boss Waza Air headphone amp which allows me to play along with songs or backing track which is fantastic, but it doesn't rattle the windows :naughty:.

I also have a Boss Katana Mk2 50W amp which will rattle the windows well enough for now. What I don't have is an audio system that I can crank up and play along with. I figured before I'd ask here before starting to look to see what a good option might be.

rolandson

Reaction score
all the time...drives spouse nuts.

eta: unplugged however. on a partscaster. i used to use a 175 but spouse brought out her shinai...a bamboo sword used in kendo. told me if i didn't shut the fuck up she'd use her katana on me. a real katana, not the amp. damn thing is sharp.

Gitter

Reaction score
I keep a guitar handy when I watch tv.
I play along with commercials, theme muic, whatever.
Builds good chops.
Me too! I've literally done this for decades up to and including about an hour ago. Naturally, it's a lot easier when you're in standard tuning. For years my band tuned down a half step, so it was a lot harder.

BKS

Reaction score
My guitar teacher makes me :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: But it is a good way to learn (and very different) but than i don't practice enough so i find it difficult to play along. Using my katana mini most of the time. Damn i would Love to get a waza air. High on my list!

Phylodog

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. What equipment are you guys using to play the song? I don't know if I should just buy a stereo receiver and some speakers or if there are better options out there. I'm extremely space limited at the moment so the smaller I can get away with the better.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Computer and 32" flat screen TV as monitor with speakers. Loud can get LOUD. Almost enough to keep up with my 60 watt amp.

jkes01

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. What equipment are you guys using to play the song? I don't know if I should just buy a stereo receiver and some speakers or if there are better options out there. I'm extremely space limited at the moment so the smaller I can get away with the better.
Have you heard of the Spark amp? Should check all of the boxes for you providing you have a phone or tablet.

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
iPad into powered monitors. You pick the size.
Are you familiar with Chordify? Great way to pick up new stuff fast. I also like to look at songs on Chordify to see if I want to play them. I’ve stumbled across several I would not ever have thought I would want to play until I saw em on paper (so to speak). Chordify is not spot on, but it gets you in the neighborhood real fast.

tramp

Reaction score
I use a Boss Rc 3. They're a little pricey but worth the price in my opinion. I've been playing around with it for 6 months or so and still find different things it can do. Pretty cool little gadget.

download.jpg

LP1865

Reaction score
I plug into my interface, which goes into my laptop.
I can hear my guitars play, while also streaming music on my laptop while playing along

Phylodog

Reaction score
I bought an iRig2 HD and have a MacBook Pro. I’ve used them and can hear the guitar but I haven’t been able to get the static under control. Planning to take it to my guitar teacher and see if he can help.

I’d like to be able to use it but I still want a way to play along with my amp at decent volume.

Thanks again for all of the replies so far.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have played along with Sirius on my tv about a billion hours... Smooth jazz, BB King blue chan, etc..
I have no control over what is next, a good thing.

I have a Spark amp too now, so playing with backing tracks is fun and productive...

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, what do you have already with a music collection? What do you have that can play loud anything? For instance, if you have a home theater system, it isn't real hard to feed Youtube into it. Do you have Sirius/XM? If so, on what devices?

What I use may not work for you. I use either the Spark Amp and what it provides OR I use Band in a box along with my Axe FX rig running through a Matrix power amp into a Xitone 2x12 OR studio powered monitors.

Not really options for you though.

Doesn't the Katana have an Aux in in the back? Run your MP3 player, phone, tablet, laptop into it and play whatever you got, Youtube, Spotify, Amazon Music, Apple music whatever.

PapaSquash

Reaction score
If you have a Katana Mk2 you have all you need.

Computer or phone audio out to Katana aux in. Guitar to instrument input. You can output to Katana speaker or headphones.

I'll second Chordify. As mentioned it isn't spot on, but it is an easy interface to jump around the song and play the parts you want to work on.

Last edited:

Latest Threads