Do you live in a small town?

Howard2k

Reaction score
Born and raised here. There's no urban spread in Niagara. Population is virtually unchanged.

I mean the urban spread from the Hammer down through Stoney Creek, Grimsby etc. Lots of building seems to be heading in that direction. I guess it’s the expansion of the GO and higher prices all around. I’d hate to see it invade NOTL.

lunchbox

Reaction score
I grew up in a suburb of LA (Glendale: pop. around 200k).

We just moved to Corvallis, OR (pop. 56k) from Healdsburg, CA (pop. 12k).

We used to live in Los Osos next to Morro Bay (pop. 14k).

I love smaller cities and would never live in a major city again. 30-60k with a university is a good size. Any bigger and I’ll move to a smaller place.

El Pablo

Reaction score
I live in a small town with easy access to the City. Myself and most of my nearby neighbors have 2 - 5 acres each. Outside of our home-sites, the entire community of approx 2,000 folks is scattered among large crop and cattle land.

After having lived in both scemarios, I prefer the friendly pace and culture of the country-folk over traffic and crime anyday. I liked some of the conveniences of the City, but it was never "home."

Nard

Reaction score
I moved from Liverpool to a small town back in 1987. Since then I’ve moved to a small village outside a small town. I love the peacefulness of it and have no intention of living the city life again.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
From a city of 8 million to a town of 19k. Yep very small in comparison to where I lived before :laugh2:

our same situation . a big change

when we moved here from NYC ( about 8 years now ) , we had some strange expectations , that the town would be similar to the one in the movie Groundhog's Day . and it seemed that way __ for a couple of months . although every town changes with time , it seems that the locals felt that outsiders had ruined their perfect way of life . so it took us awhile to get acclimated to the surroundings

to this day , we have very mixed feelings , and have been planning our next move for over a year now ( probably even longer in a way :laugh2: ) . there's a huge difference in what people think of as a sense of community

small town = everyone is very pleasant to each other on outward appearances . but the amount of gossip and backstabbing is ridiculous . although NY people are considered by many to be rude __ the most of them are very genuine

I do have a lot more to say on this subject . but if I continue , it could be a very long post . . .

PeteK

Reaction score
I've lived in several small towns in the western half of the US. Everywhere, and I mean everywhere blames Californians for housing prices going up.

Caleb

Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
No, but I'd sure like to. I want to retire and then go be the police chief in some tiny town with like a four man police department, kind of like Brody in Jaws. :D

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't like small towns.

I need all the big name stores within a few minutes of where I live.

Not to mention decent emergency medical care.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but I'd sure like to. I want to retire and then go be the police chief in some tiny town with like a four man police department, kind of like Brody in Jaws. :D
Caleb, we were down to two, but the crackheads allowed the other two to be re-hired. Come clean up our town!!! I'll call you Andy or whatever you want.

rogue3

Reaction score
I mean the urban spread from the Hammer down through Stoney Creek, Grimsby etc. Lots of building seems to be heading in that direction. I guess it’s the expansion of the GO and higher prices all around. I’d hate to see it invade NOTL.

Give me small town,my home town way out on the St.Lawerence River,all day long.The music scene there is actually pretty good, and encompasses a wide area.Always has been.

I'm pretty sure to the end of my days,i will never live in a big city again(unless she throws money at me.not likely,lol.).Nice place to visit.Love it for music.

But i still work there.There is a gem associated with the greenbelt out east howard.combined population totals east of scarborough, cannot even match Bramptons population number.Let alone all the others out west.All,that greenbelt protected land out east.

But its slowly growing out here(east) too, eroding,fraying the edges.Recent discounts on transportation transfers have helped a lot,an initiative that cuts travel costs,and gets people out of cars.But you can't pay me to ride that Go train from the west.Too congested.but from the east,not so bad at all.;)

Problem is,there is no urban planning. Just the developer who plunks down a wad of cash,that buys him the rights to build...something,willy nilly.

Roberteaux

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I grew up in a small town... population of about 500 or so when I lived there and only about 1,800 today. Very rural-- grew up hunting, fishing, camping, and etc. I used to just walk across the street and into the woods when I wanted to hunt... fishing meant walking down the street to the Oneida River.

Then I joined the army. Lots of "camping" in the army-- but we weren't hunting or fishing, exactly. :D

After I got out of the army, I went to live in Miami for close to two years. That was fun-- until it wasn't.

I ended up living very near a small-ish town-- population of about 27K people or so. Been here since 1982. I'm in an agricultural zone... got a cattle ranch two doors away from where my house is.

Nice enough place-- midway between Orlando and Daytona Beach. Can do the rural thing or the urban thing with equal ease, though the rural thing is much closer at hand.

Am thinking of leaving Florida these days. Our population was increasing all along, but over the last two years we got a gush of incoming transplants, mostly refugees from the overtaxed, shitty, politically correct northeastern states and their lousy winters. Three million new residents in 24 months... and now we're the third most populous state of the union, behind California and Texas.

That's not so bad... most transplants quickly adopt a Floridian outlook. One of the really nice things about most of them is that they do NOT wish to replicate the crappy social environment they just escaped from...

But damn, man... I'm starting to feel the squeeze here. Gridlock traffic in my town early in the morning and at quitting time? It sucks, and meanwhile I see more and more subdivisions sprouting up around here in what were formerly rural areas...

Trouble is: I love Florida. Not sure I'd be happy anywhere else, though sometimes the southwest beckons.

--R :D

Last edited:

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
I live about 15 miles outside of Richmond, Va, and I've lived "in" Richmond my whole life. There probably a million people in the metro area, but where I live is just at the cusp of being in the country. In another 10 years, I'll be in the city. This is my home, and just about everyone I love is within 2 hours of me.

My wife's family is from a very small town in southwest Iowa. I think there about 1300 people in Mt Ayr, and we've spent a couple vacations there to visit her family. There ain't no way I could live there...people all up in your business, wanting to know why you weren't in church every time the doors are unlocked, commenting on the fact you didn't weed-eat this week...The last time we were there, because I gave my sister-in-law a ride to pick up her car from the repair shop, she was accused of having an affair.

LP121

Reaction score
small town life sounds cool. Though I keep hearing if you weren't born and grown there you're always an outsider, which is disappointing.

The good news is that not all small towns are like that. The town I grew up in is very much like that. Like one big clique.

The town I live in now is completely different. Everybody gets along well, whether you've lived here forever or just moved in.

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
small town life sounds cool. Though I keep hearing if you weren't and grown there you're always an outsider, which is disappointing.

not true, at least where im from. its a very welcoming community.

where i live the traffic is so scarce on the back roads that you rarely pass someone, but when you do if you wave they wave back.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

where i live the traffic is so scarce on the back roads that you rarely pass someone, but when you do if you wave they wave back.
Agreed. I moved from a UGE city of Toronto down to small town Ohio and I totally feel part of this town. I know all the key players by name and because I was working for a home improvement company, I met just about every resident at one time or another. I know people by their cars as they pass and they know me. I've never felt out of place since I came here. I'd NEVER go back to big city livin'.....ever! :)

rockstar232007

Reaction score

Where I grew up, the population was around 5K. Now, around 20 years later, it's well over 20K.

We used to call it "the boonies", but now, it's just another "city".

Latest Threads