DO YOU KNOW THIS p90 ??

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
Hello! in my tribute lespaul I have a p90 and a minihumbucker. the second is a sd antiquity but the p90 I tought was a gibson.
Originally the guitar had 2 p90 but the guy who sold me the guitar told me he change the bridge pickup annoyed by the noise.
I love that guitar and I have few les pauls so today I went to my usual store to buy a second p90 and...
they tell me the neck pickup is not gibson and I agree with them comparing it with the one I was buying in that moment.
now I really like to know what brand/model it is but for so I need the help of experts, because even the store guy doesn't recognize it... so I post a photo I made when he was checking. can you help me?

please note that it has a plate in the cavity, has no writings and the cover is the exact color of the pickguard and pokerchip.

the guitar is a Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute goldtop 2010
20210612_175006.jpg

Stinky Kitty

Reaction score
Here's a starting point to learn more..

Last edited:

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
ok!! thank you very much! I was going to buy the retail version of the gibson p90...is it better?
Everything started because I don't like the color of the minihumbucker's frame which is very different.
do you know a frame with the same cream/bit of pink of gibson? I tryed the store because they are official distributor for my part of the country but they haven't anything. so I'm going online but....thomann has nothing.... so the idea was to restore the original configuration but I found that p90...which is different from the one that should be in that guitar.....
1st i would like the right frame
2nd if impossibile...a pair of good p90 compatibile with the cavity. I like the sound but "the slug" is very noisy.

thanks thanks thanks alot for your help

ARandall

Reaction score
Plastic cover colour is all over the place. Its best to simply buy 2 from the same store and then you'll at least match the covers. Matching them to the pickguard though - well that is very hard as its a different type of plastic altogether, and often they have to use different colouring methods so there is no exact matching version.

P90's are not noiseless either. If the slug is noisy, a p90 will be too - and probably the same amount. Plus a p90 will not match the slug in sound. Its a bit more humbucker like.

freefrog

Reaction score
I like the sound but "the slug" is very noisy.
Hello,

Like ARandall, I wouldn't expect less noise with a "real" P90: I'd even say that, as big bar mags + screw poles + keeper bars rise the inductance, the hum risks to get worse.

If noise is annoying and if you want to keep the look of a P90's, there's various noiseless models able to do the job (ideally, I'd recommend one of the Kinman versions, but they're expensive and require a deep cavity).
Or keep "the slug" and mount it in series with a RWRP coil, like in a Gibson Blueshawk: this guitar had "slug" P90's precisely meant to be paired with a dummy coil for humbucking operation. IOW, "slug" P90's are good starting points for that kind of wiring (if they have the proper specs at least: it would be a good idea to measure the DCR of yours).

If ever you find this idea interesting, I'll share more details.

The "other" solution would be a mini-hum instead of the "slug", of course.

Good luck in your quest.

Last edited:

LocoTex

Reaction score
I have a Gibson that came with the slug P90s in neck and bridge. I replaced the bridge one with a traditional P90 from Wolfetone. The one at the neck actually sounds pretty good in that position so I left it alone.

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
1st: thank you all.
2nd: I find the dummy coil idea very interesting, can you elaborate?

freefrog

Reaction score
1st: thank you all.
2nd: I find the dummy coil idea very interesting, can you elaborate?
Hello again,

There's already many info in the page about Blueshawk guitars mentioned in my previous post. I've also contributed to this topic recently: https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/dummy-coils-theory-help-then-maybe-application.455538/

Now and to keep it simple:

if you want the simplest dummy coil, find a cheapo P90 with ceramic magnets. Pull off its magnets and metallic parts. Just keep the coil. Put this coil in your electronic cavity, soldered between the ground wire of your "slug" PU and the overall ground. If it's properly wired and oriented, it will slighly diminish the output level of your "slug" PU and darken its tone but it should also kill the hum.

Hint if you wonder how to know if the dummy coil is properly wired and oriented: put it in the cavity on the same "plane" that your pickup below the strings. IOW, It must be "parallel" to the real PU (with the holes for the screw poles oriented towards the strings, I mean). If it makes the hum worse, flip it upside down. if it doesn't work, reverse the ground and "hot" wire of the dummy and experiment again...

If you want to perfect the principle and/or if your guitar allows such things, you might also consider the "Ilitch" air coil: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/diy-large-hum-cancelling-coil.670923/

For the record, I've several guitars with dummy coils as well as noiseless pickups and I've wound a bunch of Ilitch air coils. All these solutions work if properly applied.

Now, it would be interesting to know the measured resistance of your "slug" PU, in order to select or design a suitable dummy coil... :)

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
....If you want to perfect the principle and/or if your guitar allows such things, you might also consider the "Ilitch" air coil: https://www.tdpri.com/threads/diy-large-hum-cancelling-coil.670923/...
I looked into this myself a few years ago. I even bought the wire to make the coil. I remember reading it should ideally be about 20cm diameter or so. This would work fine in a semihollowbody where you would have more space to work with. But in a strat or LP, the space in the control cavity is much smaller. I know Ilitch sells custom made pickguards so the coil can be bigger.

I never got around to making something in the end but would still like to one day. I tried the Mojotone Quiet coil P90s and found them kind of sterile sounding in comparison to the real thing.

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
the ilitch looks great but too much work, effort and time to spend around it..I have little "me" time and I have to choose where spend it...so...I prefer spending it playing rather than "building" that beautiful thing...
however, thank you...but I was hoping in something VERY much simpler...
I'm starting to think about 2 tonerider vintage p90 or a "regular" gibson p90 at the bridge...the seimour duncan has to go...I don't like it.

freefrog

Reaction score
the ilitch looks great but too much work, effort and time to spend around it..I have little "me" time and I have to choose where spend it...so...I prefer spending it playing rather than "building" that beautiful thing...
however, thank you...but I was hoping in something VERY much simpler...
Yep, large air coils in the Ilitch fashion require much work for an uncertain result. Now, my home made experimental guitar with swappable PU's hosts such a DYI large air coil right now and it makes the "hot" bridge single coil dead silent.

Simple(r) dummy coils don't require much work. Frankly, I've passed more time on the web to share my experience with such devices than I need of time to mount a basic dummy in a guitar - and I write fast on the Net... Mounting properly a functional dummy coil takes a few minutes for someone accustomed to such things and costs way less than a noise gate.

Regarding the limited time, I totally understand: I type this answer before a long busy day but the evening I play guitar instead of posting. Frankly, if it wasn't for the pleasure to help other musicians, I'd easily stop to contribute online.

Now, honestly: I play for more than 40 years now and getting into noiseless PU's / dummy coils around 2000 avoided me much sterile struggle with noise and much frustration. I pass to play the time that I don't waste no more in vain attempts to keep in check the hum.
When I read the history of Blackmore's guitars/pickups and his constant fight with noise after 1978, I've the feeling that I'm not alone to have found dummy coils interesting: https://www.treblebooster.net/bsm-tonezone/ritchie-blackmore :)

I'm starting to think about 2 tonerider vintage p90 or a "regular" gibson p90 at the bridge...the seimour duncan has to go...I don't like it.
If you can live with the hum of P90's, go for it. :cool:

I can to some extent when I record or play at home. It's under stage lights that noise becomes a real problem sometimes (hence the Blackmore quest evoked above).

Good luck and enjoy!

Last edited:

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
Thanks for your long sharing...I really appreciate the time!! I'm in a "always" struggle with my guitars.when 1 is ok another suddenly it's not. and if they are all ok...i buy another one to struggle...I think I'm enjoy it.. :D
How ever, now the struggle is about the p90 and 2 strats. I love the p90 but I really don't know if there can be the space for a DIY stack p90 in the cavity.
I don't play on stage anymore, I was a singer but now...age, health and time won their battle...sadly, so I decided to live with the hum....for now... or simply use the central position!
ouch...new idea....2 p90 and a single dummy coil inside the pot cavity, could it work?

freefrog

Reaction score
ouch...new idea....2 p90 and a single dummy coil inside the pot cavity, could it work?
Yep, that's what I have currently in a Hamer. it requires two pickups with the same winding direction / polarity, though, and it's not noiseless in mid position.

A crude small dummy coil (like a P90 without its magnets and metallic parts) also affects the sound more than a large air coil: the sound will be sligthly darker with a drop in output. But it remains useable.

Personally, I've took advantage of these limitations: I've "tuned" the circuit thx to added components, in order to obtain the sound of mini-humbuckers when the dummy coil is enabled... So I have in a same guitar P90's with hum or mini-humbuckers tone without hum. When I want the P90 sound without hum, I use another guitar with Kinman P90Hx.

Works for me.

I wish you'll find what works for you. :)

Now, work is calling me (it's 8AM here in Europe). See ya!

g0ldr4k3

Reaction score
well we are both european ;) and it's calling for me too! I decided for a new gibson p90 (not slug) or a set of tonerider vintage 90...it depends on the color of the plastic....I like the right tone always.
I'm inclined to the gibson....even if it is different.... (slug/regular)

Latest Threads